NBA Info - April 2023

49 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The bottom of the west playoff race is wild. I kinda feel for Sacramento, they finally not only earn a playoff spot but get a 3 seed and their reward could be GSW, a healthy LeBron/AD, the Clips or Luka.

Mike Brown, coach of the year?

1 minute ago, casimir said:

Mike Brown, coach of the year?

Definitely one of the frontrunners, also got to give props to their GM, he took a lot of heat for trading Hali for Sabonis and then some questioned taking Murray at 4 but it appears both moves have worked out for them. 

7 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Definitely one of the frontrunners, also got to give props to their GM, he took a lot of heat for trading Hali for Sabonis and then some questioned taking Murray at 4 but it appears both moves have worked out for them. 

Yes, they both deserve credit.  "Mike Brown, coach of the year" is just not a phrase that I thought I'd hear coming from Sacramento.

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

The bottom of the west playoff race is wild. I kinda feel for Sacramento, they finally not only earn a playoff spot but get a 3 seed and their reward could be GSW, a healthy LeBron/AD, the Clips or Luka.

It's interesting that any of the 5-8 seeds (assuming the Lakers and Pelicans/Mavs move on) can beat the 1-4 seeds and nobody would be shocked while the east is quite the opposite.

• Like 1

Apparently Casey had a chat with Gores after the game that made him 1 hour late for his post-game media session. From JEIII:

Casey said he and Tom Gores have talked and they've agreed to revisit and meet again after the season, to talk about which direction everyone wants to go.

I could be mistaken, but having been around corporate heads for a long time, when you hear something like this it's just a nice way of saying Casey is out. You don't leave it up in the air if you're bringing him back, you only do that if you're waiting for the PR team to write up a nice story about how "we've mutually decided to part ways."

Could just be wishful thinking on my part, but that's been my experience.

52 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Apparently Casey had a chat with Gores after the game that made him 1 hour late for his post-game media session. From JEIII:

I could be mistaken, but having been around corporate heads for a long time, when you hear something like this it's just a nice way of saying Casey is out. You don't leave it up in the air if you're bringing him back, you only do that if you're waiting for the PR team to write up a nice story about how "we've mutually decided to part ways."

Casey will step down before they fire him. Hopefully he's ready now. He's had a good career but it's time to call it quits and take on a comfy front office role if he chooses.

Edited by NYLion

1 hour ago, Betrayer said:

Good.

Kick him upstairs.

I'm sure he can still do good for the Org...

Just not on the court.

• Like 1

Hollinger gives his award winners.

Hollinger: Why Joel Embiid is my MVP, and the rest of my NBA awards votes

Embiid as MVP is fine, I don't really care.  I still don't want him or Jokic on my team because I think centers are a bad investment cap wise, and I think both are great players.  

I did like that he has SGA 4th in the MVP race.

ROY is where I start to disagree.  Jalen Williams is my ROY.  Less scoring but much more efficient and plays really good defense.  Paolo #2 and Kessler 3rd.

Mobley is my DPOY and Hollinger doesn't even have him top 3.  He isn't the rim protector some of those guys are.  But man is he special when he is switched onto a guard on the perimeter.  I'm fine if JJJ wins it tho since I will cash a bet.

Everything else seems OK.

These awards are so subjective and narrative driven. There's a strong case to be made for Giannis as MVP as well and he's probably the guy I'd vote for - top three player on the team with the best record. But, one year they care more about team record, another year they don't. Either way, all three are deserving and although it's a regular season award Giannis is probably the only one with a real chance at leading his team to a title because it's not the 90s.

4 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

"One source with knowledge of the situation insisted Casey will have the choice of remaining on the bench or stepping into a different role within the team’s basketball operations. The Pistons, too, have clear designs on competing for a postseason position next year."

Sorry, but those two things are mutually exclusive. Don't let him choose. It's time for a fresh face. I'd be good with Charles Lee.

10 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

"One source with knowledge of the situation insisted Casey will have the choice of remaining on the bench or stepping into a different role within the team’s basketball operations. The Pistons, too, have clear designs on competing for a postseason position next year."

Sorry, but those two things are mutually exclusive. Don't let him choose. It's time for a fresh face. I'd be good with Charles Lee.

This goes back to what I said earlier, either Casey chooses to step down as head coach or he remains head coach. I don't think Gores and Weaver will force him out, too much respect there.

Who's Charles Lee? 

Nevermind, I see that he's the Bucks assistant coach. Sure, why not? Just get a different voice behind the bench.

Edited by NYLion

Assuming they need a replacement, a call has to be made to Kenny Atkinson.  He did a really nice job with the Nets before they brought in KD and Kyrie.  Took over a 21 win team and had them over .500 by year #3 with not a lot of big names.

He had a deal to take over in Charlotte last year and then backed out.  My wild and totally unfounded speculation is he has a promise from Golden State and Kerr that Kerr will step down soon and the job will go to Atkinson.  So maybe he wouldn't want to come to Detroit.

• Like 1

The Bulls are also resting everyone.  Difference is they are locked into the playoff game.  Dallas could still get in as well but they don't want to.  They traded this years 1st round pick but it is top 10 protected.  So missing the play in would let them keep the pick.