04/08/2023 4:10 pm EDT Boston Red Sox vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

8 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

I'm going to the game today. First time going to Comerica in about 5 years. Exciting to see a game in person again.  

I hope you got a refund.  Unless, of course, they asked you to pitch the 9th.  I mean, if they offered you that and you turned it down, well, I just don’t even know what to say about that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

Who said I don't like Detroit? I didn't. I like it fine. I'm from there. Best pizza in the world, for one thing. Best potato chips on the planet for another.

Also, I wasn't talking about the city.

no need to apologize.  where you live now is a much better place to live than detroit.

11 hours ago, buddha said:

no need to apologize.  where you live now is a much better place to live than detroit.

Definitely agree if you like urban living in the city.  No comparison between Chicago and Detroit.  

If you are a burbs person, there’s not that much difference between the two places.   Probably better here if you are an outdoors person that likes boat, ski, fish, or hunt.  

24 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Definitely agree if you like urban living in the city.  No comparison between Chicago and Detroit.  

If you are a burbs person, there’s not that much difference between the two places.   Probably better here if you are an outdoors person that likes boat, ski, fish, or hunt.  

there are nice suburbs in every city in america.  detroit's arent better or worse than anywhere else's.  you can find nice places to live there if you look for them.

but as a calling card for athletes?  with michigan's weather and high taxes?  i doubt it.

36 minutes ago, buddha said:

there are nice suburbs in every city in america.  detroit's arent better or worse than anywhere else's.  you can find nice places to live there if you look for them.

but as a calling card for athletes?  with michigan's weather and high taxes?  i doubt it.

Generally agree with you on all points, but on taxes, not sure Chicago comes out ahead against Detroit, let alone anywhere.

14 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

It seems like teams are doing everything they can to protect their pitchers, but it also seems like they are getting hurt as much as ever.  Is it working?  

I believe they’re getting hurt because they are trying to twist their arms and elbows into unnatural contortions to try to get swing-and-miss because any of the nine batters in any batting order can take pitchers out of the ballpark because the ball is juiced.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

I believe they’re getting hurt because they are trying to twist their arms and elbows into unnatural contortions to try to get swing-and-miss because any of the nine batters in any batting order can take pitchers out of the ballpark because the ball is juiced.

So, basically they have distorted the whole game just because "chicks dig the longball".  

40 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I can't leave the area for a multiple of reasons but if I could Chicago would definitely be at the top of my list. Definitely no other city I'd rather be at in the summer time, for my money best city in the country in the summer. 

That’s close to one of my standard lines—I typically tell people that Chicago is the best summer city in North America.

Just now, Tiger337 said:

So, basically they have distorted the whole game just because "chicks dig the longball".  

That’s a bit reductive—but only just a bit.

Home runs is the main driver of the highlights marketing machine. So yes, I think Baseball routinely makes decisions with maintaining a certain level of home runs in mind, and that level is probably 2000. (The year, not the homer total.)

Strikeouts is a secondary driver, which I believe is why they are OK with strikeouts as the by-product of high homer totals.

For these reasons, I believe Baseball may never deaden the ball to encourage more balls in play. And hey, fun fact: there are fewer balls in play per game in 2023 so far than in 2022.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

Agree you can find nice suburbs to live anywhere, but I don’t think they are the same all over.   As get further West in places like Texas, Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, and California, the suburbs are generally a little different than the Midwest and East.  

They are newer, more cookie cutter residential communities built around a commerce area with the Target, Costco, and Home Depot and never ending modern strip malls. Move along 5 miles and there’s another new city with the same footprint.  Not much differentiating between one place an another. That newer infrastructure usually means less undeveloped areas with natural woods and parks mixed in with residential tracts.  

11 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Agree you can find nice suburbs to live anywhere, but I don’t think they are the same all over.   As get further West in places like Texas, Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, and California, the suburbs are generally a little different than the Midwest and East.  

They are newer, more cookie cutter residential communities built around a commerce area with the Target, Costco, and Home Depot and never ending modern strip malls. Move along 5 miles and there’s another new city with the same footprint.  Not much differentiating between one place an another. That newer infrastructure usually means less undeveloped areas with natural woods and parks mixed in with residential tracts.  

those states have warmer weather and - except for cali - lower taxes.  burbs are burbs, imo.  

living in a city with public transportation has spoiled me.  i wouldnt want to live somewhere where i have to drive everywhere all the time.  that really limits your options in america.

of the cities ive been too, id rather live in detroit than vegas, houston, anywhere in florida, albuquerque, cleveland, louisville, oklahoma city, anywhere in louisiana other than new orleans

toss ups: philly, atlanta, LA, pittsburgh

better than the d: dallas, san francisco, boston, new york, portland/seattle, san diego, charlotte, new orleans.

i'd love to live in san diego if i could afford it.  alas...