Pistons coach search

Cool to see all the players show up except Bogie (who I assume is overseas since he's not from here).

Anyone else catch the tension in the room with Gores and Weaver when they talked about those "5 days" at Gores' house when they were hashing this out? At one point Gores said something like, "I wouldn't call it a yelling match" and later Troy said something about them having to be "refereed" for 5 days. In the end he said he respected Gores generosity and making him "think out of the box."

It's interesting to see where this goes depending upon how Monty works out (or not). Usually the GM goes out and gets their guy, but in this case it's clear that Gores went out and got Monty. I'm sure Troy wanted him as well and maybe didn't believe they could get him so he fought for someone else, but in the end it sounds like Gores fought Weaver on this and  was the one to make it happen. He flew Monty out to his house on his personal plane and made the pitch, not Weaver. So really, this is more the Owner's guy than the GM's, which I find interesting.

Couple other things:

Beard reporting that part of the deal was a private jet that would be made available anytime Monty needed it for his wife to fly back to Phoenix for medical reasons. Also, they set up a fund to handle any medical needs that aren't covered by insurance for her cancer treatment. Cool stuff that continues to demonstrate how they're trying to build a family oriented organization with good character and relationships. This is probably part of the "out of the box" thinking that Troy was talking about with Gores approach to landing Monty.

Looks like Dan Burke ("defensive guru"), Jarrett Jack, and Mark Bryant ("big man savant") are joining the coaching roster as well. I think they were on site yesterday as well. This is shaping up to be a pretty impressive and experienced coaching staff. You don't get this kind of team if you hire Ollie. You get them because you landed Monty.

• Like 1