Pistons coach search

Next Pistons head coach: Who might replace Dwane Casey in Detroit

A very blah list IMO.

Charles Lee - Probably my favorite of the names mentioned in the article.

Jerry Stackhouse - Four years in and he can't even make the tournament.  Pass.

Ime Udoka - Huge massive pass.  His agent has to be the one floating his name since no way is anyone going to hire him.  Not gonna repeat the rumors.  But you don't get fired for a consensual relationship on the side.  Something was bad there.  Big huge pass.

Kevin Ollie - Kind of a shady dude.  Not a good enough coach to look past that.

Sean Sweeney - His defense was putrid this year.  Although, he really made some nice adjustments against Phoenix in the playoffs last year to hide Luka on defense.  

Jay Wright - I like him.  But I doubt he retired just to turn around and coach this turd of a team.

Rex Kalamian - I think people would have a fit if someone from the Casey staff got promoted.

20 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Jay Wright - I like him.  But I doubt he retired just to turn around and coach this turd of a team.

Maybe he simply didn't like the way college basketball was headed.  Maybe he just needed some time off to recharge.  I don't know if he would translate well to the NBA or not.  But this would be an intriguing option.

In all seriousness, this should be a highly sought after job, shouldn’t it?  It’s a young team, they’re going to add a lottery pick, they’ve got good cap standing.  It’s not a perfect scenario by any means, but it’s also not a situation with old players, cap issues and known locker room problems.

17 minutes ago, casimir said:

In all seriousness, this should be a highly sought after job, shouldn’t it?  It’s a young team, they’re going to add a lottery pick, they’ve got good cap standing.  It’s not a perfect scenario by any means, but it’s also not a situation with old players, cap issues and known locker room problems.

I say we let you do it, can't be worse than casey

It's hard to tell how good any of these coaches are. The NBA, moreso than any other sport, is a player driven league where coaching isn't really that important although for a young team like the Pistons, good coaching is more paramount. People leaguewide are putting Udoka at the top of everybody's list but what has he done exactly? Mazzula took over and the team didn't miss a beat.

Whoever the coach is, I hope he preaches defense because I have no idea what defensive system Casey employed. 

betrayer must be so happy.

if there was a time to make a move, it was now.  kenny atkinson would be at the top of any list.  i know belien bombed out in cleveland because the players sabotaged him, but the dude can coach.  an overlooked assistant might be a good choice.  udoka would have to be at the top of any list too.

• Like 1

As a Kentucky basketball fan living in Nashville, I beg you guys to take Jerry Stackhouse away from Vanderbilt.  He coached rings around Coach Cal all three times this year, making chicken salad out of a chicken poop roster.

He inherited a complete dumpster fire when he took over a team that lost 19 games in a row, their best two players, and then his best player was hurt.  He turned Aaron Nesmith, Saben Lee, and Scottie Pippen, Jr., from no chance prospects into NBA players.

Vanderbilt is as hard or harder than Northwestern to get into, and they don't give exceptions for athletes.  Stackhouse can flat out coach.  Had he had Kentucky's roster, he probably has us in the Final Four.  He beat us twice without his top player available, stopping our inside game with no big man playing.  Not only did he outcoach Coach Cal, he did the same to Rick Barnes, Bruce Pearl, Eric Musselman, and especially Juwan Howard in the NIT.  I'm sure a lot of SEC fans from Kentucky, Tennessee, Auburn, and Arkansas would chip in to contribute to you guys hiring him away from the league, so we can get easy W's over Vandy again.  

• Like 1

Casey kept a tight locker room, so we can give him credit for that, but I couldn't be happier that he's moving on from coaching, which he was just not good at.

The names in that list I'm excited about would Ime Udoka, Charles Lee, and Chris Quinn. Obviously, Atkinson is one we've all been talking about but it sounds like he's not going anywhere since nobody is mentioning him as a candidate for open coaching jobs.

Stackhouse is intriguing, but I don't know about college coaches coming to the NBA. Seems like the most successful NBA coaches in recent years have been former assistants who've learned from successful NBA coaching trees.

On 4/10/2023 at 10:29 AM, RandyMarsh said:

We may suck still with the new coach and show that Casey wasn't the issue but sooner or later you have to atleast try something different cause things weren't working here with him. 

I don't think Casey was *the* issue, but he was definitely *an* issue. It's possible to have both a bad team and a bad coach. I've never seen a Casey team perform above the sum of their parts, they've always underperformed. That's just who he is as a coach.

If they want to take a really big leap next year, moving on from Casey is a step that had to be taken, but it's just the first one. Roster construction, overall youth, and injuries were also big issues. Youth is simply what it is - it'll take time. Injuries (and sitting players with "injuries") will hopefully not be an issue next year. I guess we'll see what happens with roster construction - this team needs wings who can defend and shoot, so let's see what Weaver has up his sleeve.

15 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

From JEIII's podcast:

-The organization wants to give the opportunity to a young black man.
-He believes the coach will be one of Charles Lee, Jerry Stackhouse, Kevin Ollie, or Ime Udoka.

Possibly the worst reason I ever heard for hiring a coach but I digress.

49 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

I don't think Casey was *the* issue, but he was definitely *an* issue. It's possible to have both a bad team and a bad coach. I've never seen a Casey team perform above the sum of their parts, they've always underperformed. That's just who he is as a coach.

If they want to take a really big leap next year, moving on from Casey is a step that had to be taken, but it's just the first one. Roster construction, overall youth, and injuries were also big issues. Youth is simply what it is - it'll take time. Injuries (and sitting players with "injuries") will hopefully not be an issue next year. I guess we'll see what happens with roster construction - this team needs wings who can defend and shoot, so let's see what Weaver has up his sleeve.

if history is any guide, weaver has a 6'11 player who cant shoot up his sleeve...

(that player is not victor, who hopefully is up the other sleeve)

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

From JEIII's podcast:

-The organization wants to give the opportunity to a young black man.
-He believes the coach will be one of Charles Lee, Jerry Stackhouse, Kevin Ollie, or Ime Udoka.

kevin ollie?  good lord, why?

35 minutes ago, buddha said:

kevin ollie?  good lord, why?

Because he's young....and black. Duh

Who cares that he had one fluke season and pretty much no other resume to speak of. He's young and black so.... put him on the list.

Edited by NYLion