Pistons coach search

4 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Not seeing a lot of Chris Quinn love in these coaching interviews. Wondering if he told everyone to bugger off because he's going to get the Heat job eventually. That would at least make me feel better about us not having him in the mix.

spo is not an old man.  i wonder if there is some succession plan whereby he moves up to the front office at some point?  if not, quinn would probably be wise to cash in.

At this point of what we hope the Pistons will become and understanding how the NBA coaching culture is these days, do we expect the next coach to be the coach that guides them deep into the playoffs?  Or is this next hire a development coach first, and then reevaluate everything in two seasons?

I'm a bit underwhelmed by all the candidates, including Monty, but you do have to give him an interview if he's interested.

Weaver listed, "discipline, development, and defense" as his requirements for the next coach and I just don't see the "discipline" aspect from Monty. He's very much in the Casey mold of a player's coach. I'm also not in love with his strategic X's and O's after watching him choke in the playoffs and leave obvious weaknesses unexploited (Jokic's PnR defense) in route to another really bad playoff exit.

Still though, he's certainly a better candidate than Kevin Ollie, so you gotta give him a call.

6 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Before I was just underwhelmed, but now I'm disappointed. Quinn is available for interviews but no news that Detroit even tried.

What makes Quinn a better candidate than Chris Lee for example?  The Spoelstra influence I suppose but both are young, up and coming assistants on championship caliber clubs.

Also, we all know why he didn't get interviewed.

It's kinda a double edged sword coaching for a contending team, yeah it's cool to be competing for a championship and having good players to coach but if you don't win the whole thing you very well could be screwed.

Atleast when you take over a team like the Pistons you know you're probably getting atleast a few years of security and if you do end up actually winning you can basically name your own price when it comes to getting a raise. 

7 hours ago, NYLion said:

What makes Quinn a better candidate than Chris Lee for example?  The Spoelstra influence I suppose but both are young, up and coming assistants on championship caliber clubs.

Also, we all know why he didn't get interviewed.

Spo coaching tree is a big selling point for me. Also, Heat culture. They've been worse than every team they've played, but damnit, they're just going to play harder and smarter than you are. Bring me some of that in Detroit.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Spo coaching tree is a big selling point for me. Also, Heat culture. They've been worse than every team they've played, but damnit, they're just going to play harder and smarter than you are. Bring me some of that in Detroit.

yes, but youre forgetting the most important part: skin color.