Pistons coach search

Can't wait to hear the press conference when they try to say that Lee (or Ollie) was "their man from the start" and they "couldn't think of anyone better to lead this team." Meanwhile those guys are sitting at home right now wondering if they're going to get that 2am booty call after we get turned down by our first choice.

You can't say that Gores doesn't care about winning if he's willing to make Monty Williams the second highest paid coach in the league.

At least Ollie seems to be out now. Ollie might be a good coach but bringing in a coach with literally no NBA head coaching experience and who hasn't coached anywhere for years would have been a huge risk. The Pistons were the only one to even interview him in the last 5 years I believe, that's pretty telling.

Really interesting that Ollie left OTE without having a job. Maybe they were just looking for an excuse to fire him and simply let him go for  interviewing with another job? Or, maybe the Pistons offered him a different job in the organization since he's Weaver's buddy and just asked him not to announce it yet until they announce the coach.

No matter how this goes, consider me less than excited. At this point I just want them to make an announcement and rip the band-aid off so we can start examining the wound.

Monty has a respected name, but every description of him sounds like just another Casey to me. Great man, player's coach, good for culture, stagnant offense, poor game management, collapses in the playoffs, and plays favorites with vets he likes.

i'm rethinking my monty love.  i guess i am happy its NOT kevin ollie for all the reasons people have against him (no one else seems interested...).  im disappointed quinn didnt even get a look.

i am very wary of tom gores making this decision.  as many problems as i have with weaver, i trust him more than tom gores.  gores gave us svg as president, gm, and coach.  him hiring monty could just be him "big game hunting" in an area he knows nothing about.

i wonder if JEIII's reporting on all this is accurate?  i imagine his source is either weaver or someone real close to him.  did gores undercut weaver, or did monty's sudden availability change everything?  maybe ollie never really was weaver's guy now that lee is the next man up?

so many questions.

btw, how embarassing is it if monty turns down $10 mil a year to coach your team?

• Like 1

Some had him as the top available coach on the market and the Pistons went and got him so even though it's a lot of money I don't see how this can be viewed as a bad thing. It may turn out that way but I love the fact that they didn't just take the cheap route or settle for an inferior candidate, they knew that there were more attractive options out there than the Pistons opening so if they wanted to get the best guy they could they had to pony up the money and to Gores' credit he did. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 2

Have to give Gores a lot of credit here. He's doing what it takes to lure in the best available coaching candidate. You have to give him an A for effort and I'm far from a Gores fan.

I'd be interested to see how this influences the draft and free agency now. I'd have to think that guys like Walker and Hendricks are more in play now at 5, guys with high floors that have defensive versatility that can hit 3's and seem to fit into that team/ball movement concept while Whitmore and the Thompsons seem like more of a longshot but just a guess on my part. This also might make Detroit a somewhat more attractive free agent destination simply because Monty has some cache around the league, I wonder if Cam Johnson is now on their radar.

• Like 1

I like that Gores is willing to spend the money. I like that they went out and got their guy. Compared to the competition we were told about, he was clearly the best choice. I don’t care how much he costs, because it’s not cap space  

He’ll be solid and raise the floor of this team. As others have said, he may even attract some talent with his name and reputation. And if it wasn’t obvious before, it’s crystal clear now that Gores is done with the tanking (so hopefully at least one of Cade, Ivey, and Duren are “him”). 

Only concern I have is the length of this contract. If the team has the talent to take multiple steps forward over the next few years, a deluxe version of Casey isn’t the guy that’s going to get you the trophy. Monty is good enough to get them to the playoffs provided the talent develops as we hope, but in my eyes there will need to be one more “next coach” to take that final step. Hopefully Gores can swallow his pride and his wallet enough to make that happen if/when that time comes. 

I'm just glad it wasn't Ollie.  The parting from UConn just doesn't sit well with me.  Maybe it shouldn't matter and I'm overly critical of it.

This hire needed to be a developmental hire.  This is the NBA and coaching seats get turned over quickly, even for winning teams.  The fact that the Pistons hired a coach with the record of Williams' seems fortunate, but I'm not smart enough to know if this will translate to what the Pistons really need at this time.  It is entirely possible that this nucleus of youth will need to different coaches to reach the Finals (should we be so lucky to see it).  One to develop them into championship talented pieces, another to cohesively weave those pieces together.  Hopefully Williams can do both.  But, again, this is the NBA we're talking about.

The contract terms seem expensive, but as has been mentioned, it ain't my money, and it doesn't count against the cap.  So Williams is step one, but who will comprise his coaching staff?  That's probably equally important to all of this.

• Like 1

I mean I guess he isn't going to say anything else but according to JEIII while money was obviously the biggest motivator Monty was also attracted to our young core and bought into Weaver and Gores' "vision of the franchise going forward" when they met at Gores' house. 

Also supposedly Monty told them originally that he was probably going to take a year off but the Pistons and one other unknown team were two places he'd consider going. 

Sounds like he may have leveraged himself more money, smart man in that regard. 

Edited by RandyMarsh