Pistons coach search

On 5/19/2023 at 2:04 PM, buddha said:

oh great.  the one scenario worse than troy weaver hiring his buddy is tom gores making a coaching decision.

i take that back, late joe dumars era coaching decisions would be worse.

I don't know, I view it as Gores might save us from Weaver's nepotism on this one. Ironic that Gores could be the savior here, but I'm ok with whatever prevents us from hiring Ollie.

One of those meetings needs to be with Quinn. If they called him and he doesn't want the job, fine, but I haven't heard anything about them even pursuing him.

Look at what Miami is doing in the playoffs with way less star power than any other team, including multiple undrafted players in significant minutes. The players hold each other accountable but they don't rule the roost. It's very much an old school culture under Riley and Spo. They're about playing defense, playing the right way, moving the ball, trust, culture, and heart.

They're playing the way our most beloved Detroit teams have played and we need to get back on that track.

People are going to be trying to pluck assistants off of the Miami coaching tree like they used to do with the San Antonio tree. If we haven't at least made an effort to call and interview Quinn, we're idiots.

9 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

One of those meetings needs to be with Quinn. If they called him and he doesn't want the job, fine, but I haven't heard anything about them even pursuing him.

Look at what Miami is doing in the playoffs with way less star power than any other team, including multiple undrafted players in significant minutes. The players hold each other accountable but they don't rule the roost. It's very much an old school culture under Riley and Spo. They're about playing defense, playing the right way, moving the ball, trust, culture, and heart.

They're playing the way our most beloved Detroit teams have played and we need to get back on that track.

People are going to be trying to pluck assistants off of the Miami coaching tree like they used to do with the San Antonio tree. If we haven't at least made an effort to call and interview Quinn, we're idiots.

the optimistic scenario is that they are waiting until the playoffs are over to speak with him.  maybe that's why they havent made the decision already.

the pessimistic scenario is that he's white and therefore not a candidate.

• Like 1

It's also being reported that they offered Monty Williams a large contract and he rejected it.

Imagine going through a multi-week process to get the Pistons HC job and then you find out that in the middle of all that they made a side offer to another coach who never even got an interview or had to fly to LA to see Gores.

Maybe the Pistons "narrowed" it to 2 candidates, or maybe Collins just decided this circus wasn't worth his time anymore.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not defending the situation and how they have handled it but it just figures that when we go to hire a HC it just so happens that it ends up being a year where all these top attractive teams fire their coaches right in the middle of our search. 

Reports are that Monty is simply planning to take a year off, but I guess we'll see if maybe he was just holding out for a different team.

58 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Reports are that Monty is simply planning to take a year off, but I guess we'll see if maybe he was just holding out for a different team.

he's still getting paid by phoenix, so he'll probably just chill.

Ollie wasn't interviewed for any other head coaching jobs. Why leave OTE if he didn't get the Pistons job? I don't see how this goes any other way unless they did something weird like hire him for a different role after he interviewed for HC.

7 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Ollie wasn't interviewed for any other head coaching jobs. Why leave OTE if he didn't get the Pistons job? I don't see how this goes any other way unless they did something weird like hire him for a different role after he interviewed for HC.

He could have just OTE is not a path to an NBA job and doing nothing might be the better option. Like an WNBA might find trying to jump to the men's game too difficulty directly from the WNBA. So a year off to network/campaign is the better choice