Pistons coach search

I've heard that these are the leaders of the pack from the second-tier interviews they did, but that they are considering/doing another first-tier round of interviews as well. After that comes the in-person interview round.

Then again, JEIII kept saying "finalists" before correcting himself to "frontrunners". So, all the rest may just be smoke and these may truly be the finalists.

Quinn was my first pick, but it doesn't sound like he's in the mix. I was leaning towards Lee after that, but I'm not a huge fan of the Bud coaching tree, so I may be leaning more towards Collins now since he was the defensive coordinator for GS during those championship years when they were always a top 5 defense in the league. <-- nope, I was wrong, it was in 2019 and 2020. Also because I'd love to see some ball and people movement in our offense like GS. The Bucks take turns going one-on-one and just have one of the best one-on-one players in the league. Don't really love the coach Bud offense.

Edited by Betrayer

10 hours ago, buddha said:

whoa.

but yeah....he got pantsed by miami.

True but many of great coaches have looked foolish against Spoelstra so not sure how much fault he should shoulder... especially since Giannis missed a game and was banged up throughout and Butler went in prime MJ, Lebron and Kobe mode.

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

True but many of great coaches have looked foolish against Spoelstra so not sure how much fault he should shoulder... especially since Giannis missed a game and was banged up throughout and Butler went in prime MJ, Lebron and Kobe mode.

its not the first time he's failed in the playoffs.  its happened multiple times.  in fact, the time he succeeded and won a championship (because of giannis) is the real outlier.

• Like 1

There is no shame in getting out coached by Spo. There is a ton of shame when the other team ties the game with 0.5 seconds left and you let your team inbound the ball without calling the timeout save advancing the ball to half court.

Plus, he doesn't seem to make solid in game adjustments or even between games for that matter.

• Thanks 1

Somebody try to sell me on Kevin Ollie. A flukey Championship run with UConn and that's it, that's his coaching resume. Does Overtime Elite even count? Which makes me wonder if the Thompson twins are a target of Weaver's if he's so gung ho on hiring Ollie. Otherwise, I don't know what qualifies him to be an NBA Head Coach.

24 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Somebody try to sell me on Kevin Ollie. A flukey Championship run with UConn and that's it, that's his coaching resume. Does Overtime Elite even count? Which makes me wonder if the Thompson twins are a target of Weaver's if he's so gung ho on hiring Ollie. Otherwise, I don't know what qualifies him to be an NBA Head Coach.

he's not white.  apparently that's a criteria for the pistons.

The reality is we have no idea how any of these assistants will perform as head coaches, so we could all be wrong.

That said, based upon resume alone, Ollie is the candidate I want least. No NBA coaching experience other than 1 year as an assistant in OKC. Overtime Elite is an absolute joke. Try to watch an OTE game and make it through the whole thing...I dare you. His claim to fame is doing something every other college team does, but being dumb enough to get caught. Also, I'm not sold on taking either of the twins in this draft based upon their OTE pickup games against garbage competition, and if Ollie is the head coach you can pretty much book it outside of landing the #1 pick.

The reason the Coach Bud stuff might matter for us is not because we'll hire him (he's this eras equivalent of Flip Saunders...no thanks). It's because Charles Lee might be a candidate for the Bucks which would take him off the table.

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Are the Pistons gonna wait till after the lottery to hire a coach? It seems like if we were to get number 1 and Victor this could be an attractive spot. 

I could see that happening, yes. Pistons deserve the first pick if you want to use that word, but with the lottery you never know; NBA will have the winner being who they want. My bet is on San Antonio tbh.

Must admit that I am a Trail Blazers fan and we have an outside shot haha, but don't really see it.

James Edwards said in The Athletic that he doesn't think they are waiting for the lottery.  He said the top candidates are going out to California next week to meet with Gores. 

He also said he wouldn't be shocked if a hire was made next week.  And if the search goes past the lottery it is just the organization taking the time to find the right person.

9 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

I could see that happening, yes. Pistons deserve the first pick if you want to use that word, but with the lottery you never know; NBA will have the winner being who they want. My bet is on San Antonio tbh.

Must admit that I am a Trail Blazers fan and we have an outside shot haha, but don't really see it.

I think your Blazers may be just as if not more cursed than the Pistons when it comes to the lottery and early draft picks. With your guys luck you will get the number 1 pick and take Victor and he will be oft injured meanwhile Scoot or whoever was drafted right after will turn into a HOF. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 7:47 PM, RandyMarsh said:

Are the Pistons gonna wait till after the lottery to hire a coach? It seems like if we were to get number 1 and Victor this could be an attractive spot. 

Weaver seemed almost offended when a reporter asked him if he'd wait until after the lotto to see what pick they got to attract a coach. Basically, if they don't want to be here before we get a good pick then he doesn't want them here after we get a good pick. I can respect that mindset.

7 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Weaver should go all "Fish That Saved Pittsburgh" and hire based on Astrology charts...and insist whomever he hires coach with that methodology as well

I thought that’s what Gores did when he hired Arn Tellem.    #Pisces

• Like 1