Pistons coach search

12 minutes ago, buddha said:

if monty likes teams that can move the ball quickly, shoot and play defense, it doesnt  bode well for the future of wiseman and bagley.

Sounds fine to me.  Get with the program or grab some pine.

I'm still holding onto some hope for Wiseman.  He's still young (22) and inexperienced (84 NBA games).  Maybe he doesn't live up the billing of a 2nd overall pick.  But can he still be a valuable basketball player on a winning team?

20 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I mean I guess he isn't going to say anything else but according to JEIII while money was obviously the biggest motivator Monty was also attracted to our young core and bought into Weaver and Gores' "vision of the franchise going forward" when they met at Gores' house. 

Also supposedly Monty told them originally that he was probably going to take a year off but the Pistons and one other unknown team were two places he'd consider going. 

Sounds like he may have leveraged himself more money, smart man in that regard. 

One would think this would be quite the selling point assuming the "refurbish" is being done correctly.

I never questioned Gores will and desire to win.  My issue has always been his competence mainly centered around the people he’s chosen to make important basketball decisions.    

I also think he gives off a super douchey public persona but that’s true with most all of these aging billionaires.  

Edited by Hongbit

18 minutes ago, casimir said:

Sounds fine to me.  Get with the program or grab some pine.

I'm still holding onto some hope for Wiseman.  He's still young (22) and inexperienced (84 NBA games).  Maybe he doesn't live up the billing of a 2nd overall pick.  But can he still be a valuable basketball player on a winning team?

wiseman was one of the worst players in the nba last season.  he does nothing on defense and all he does on offense is search out his own shot and get in everyone else's way.

slow, dumb, and selfish is no way to go through life, son.  - dean wormer (probably)

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I never questioned Gores will and desire to win.  My main issue has always been his competence mainly centered around the people he’s chosen to put around him to make important bask decisions.    

I also think he gives off a super douchey public persona but that’s true with most all of these aging billionaires.  

he's attracted by big, shiny toys.  monty is a big shiny toy.  so was stan.

i think this has a better chance of working out because monty is there to coach and nothing else.  stan was put into a role he was not suited to handle.

58 minutes ago, buddha said:

if monty likes teams that can move the ball quickly, shoot and play defense, it doesnt  bode well for the future of wiseman and bagley.

I could live with Wiseman strictly as a back up to Duren....we don't really know what Wiseman is yet.  We know what Bagley is...and I really don't like it.   If they view Stew as a starter at the PF, I'm all in on drafting Whitmore to t play the wing...otherwise a more traditional PF like Walker of Hendricks makes sense at pick #5

23 minutes ago, buddha said:

he's attracted by big, shiny toys.  monty is a big shiny toy.  so was stan.

i think this has a better chance of working out because monty is there to coach and nothing else.  stan was put into a role he was not suited to handle.

Stan Van Gundy the coach is fine, Stan Van Gundy the GM was always a disaster waiting to happen. 

17 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

I could live with Wiseman strictly as a back up to Duren....we don't really know what Wiseman is yet.  We know what Bagley is...and I really don't like it.   If they view Stew as a starter at the PF, I'm all in on drafting Whitmore to t play the wing...otherwise a more traditional PF like Walker of Hendricks makes sense at pick #5

i understand your point, but wiseman for $12 mil to backup duren is a waste of resources.  the only good thing about james wiseman is that they can include him in trade proposals because he makes a good amount of money and teams can just cut him next year when they need space.

as long as troy doesnt give him an extension.  that would be disastrous.

wiseman is all of andre drummond's bad habits (selfish, doesnt understand his limitations or strengths, lazy) and none of his strengths (massive body, rebounding machine).

he has height and the pedigree of being a top 5 pick.  that's it.

Monty went away from the 0.5 second system as time went on in Phoenix. Guys like Chris Paul and then Kevin Durant simply don't play that way. So I think it remains to be seen if Monty is going to try that again.

If he does, then yeah, Wiseman and Bagley trying to post up all the time is over and I couldn't be happier about it.

I think it also has an impact on the draft. If they keep the pick, someone like Whitmore whose downside is passing and "feel" probably moves down their draft board. He's not a 0.5 second offense kind of player unless they see something to make them believe that was all because of his youth and the horrendous system at Villanova last year.

However, I also think it really opens up the door for us to trade the pick. You've got a high profile coach that you're paying big money, so you might move the pick for an established player and kick start this thing.

Side note: I see Phoenix fans teasing us about Landry Shamet who was apparently Monty's version of CoJo.

3 hours ago, buddha said:

i understand your point, but wiseman for $12 mil to backup duren is a waste of resources.  the only good thing about james wiseman is that they can include him in trade proposals because he makes a good amount of money and teams can just cut him next year when they need space.

as long as troy doesnt give him an extension.  that would be disastrous.

Valid points...

I'm just glad Killian is already on the roster because he's exactly the kind of failed Lottery pick Weaver is drawn to

Is Monty terrible at X's & O's or that just a narrative that automatically gets attached to players coaches? He's no Nick Nurse with his in game strategies but the Suns generally came across as a team that seemed pretty connected on the court until the GM tore apart the team to chase the new shiny object.

Edited by NYLion

He’s fine in the regular season using a system that empowers the players, but once teams start strategizing against their opponents in the playoffs he gets chewed up. If you watched the Suns get smashed out of the playoffs multiple times you saw his weaknesses on center stage. Talk to any Suns fans and they’ll say the same. Poor game management, poor play calling, poor at making adjustments.

He’ll be fine to help this team take the next step because he’s basically an upgraded Casey, but his contract will outlast his usefulness and they didn’t help him out any by getting a top assistant who has exactly the same strengths and weaknesses. 

Edited by Betrayer

5 hours ago, Betrayer said:

He’s fine in the regular season using a system that empowers the players, but once teams start strategizing against their opponents in the playoffs he gets chewed up. If you watched the Suns get smashed out of the playoffs multiple times you saw his weaknesses on center stage. Talk to any Suns fans and they’ll say the same. Poor game management, poor play calling, poor at making adjustments.

He’ll be fine to help this team take the next step because he’s basically an upgraded Casey, but his contract will outlast his usefulness and they didn’t help him out any by getting a top assistant who has exactly the same strengths and weaknesses. 

There's still 14 other assistant coach chairs to fill.  Plenty of opportunity to find an Xs and Os coach or two.

8 hours ago, Betrayer said:

I feel like most fanbases have this complaint with coaches. This is a coach that brought them to the brink of an NBA championship just a few years ago so the in game strategy can't be all that bad. With that said, their performance in elimination games the last 2 years (Dallas and Denver) was disconcerting but they were also ravaged by injury in the Denver series so it's a tough evaluation. 

In any event, the coach doesn't matter all that much if they don't have the players so Weaver has a lot of work to do to make this team competitive.

Edited by NYLion

Certainly agree that you need the players and Monty's ceiling may not matter at all if Cade, Ivey, and Duren aren't "him".

However, there's no better example of the importance of coaching than this postseason run by the Heat. Sure, having the talent of Doc River's Celtics team can win it for you regardless but Detroit teams will rarely (if ever) have that luxury.

Sixers assistant coach Dan Burke ‘expected to join’ Detroit Pistons’ staff

“Several assistant coaches, such as Mark Bryant, are expected to follow Monty Williams to Detroit, where former Houston head coach Stephen Silas will serve as the Pistons’ associate head coach, and former 76ers assistant Dan Burke, sources said, is also expected to join the front of Williams’ bench.”

Burke is well-known around the league for his acumen in teaching defensive principles and was known as the team’s ‘defensive coordinator’ while in Philadelphia. While it’s hard to differentiate personnel and scheme when determining a team’s success, the Sixers did rank second, twelfth, and eighth in the league in regular season defensive rating during Burke’s three seasons. Burke also went 2-0 as head coach, filling in for Rivers when Doc was out a pair of games due to health and safety protocols at the end of 2021, beginning of 2022.

• Like 1