2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs

1 hour ago, buddha said:

we'll take matthews and marner.

Matthews' contract expires after next year and the interesting part is that after July 1, 2023 he has a no movement clause. So if the Leafs get knocked out this week, they have about a month and a half to assess whether they will be able to sign him to a new contract. Otherwise he may be traded in June. If I were the Leafs (ugh, perish the thought), I'd a) sign Matthews; and b) dump Marner for whatever prospects I could get for him; c) use the net cap space gain after re-signing Matthews and dumping Marner to add a better goalie and shore up defense; and d) fire coach Keefe.

Glad to see the NHL cares about enforcing the Instigator Rule in the playoffs these days. I guess Darnell Nurse isn't as big a name or as important a player to Edmonton as Egveni Malkin was to Pittsburgh back in 2009. This not being the Stanley Cup Final probably impacted the decision as well. If this were, let's say, Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Final, and it were Leon Draisaitl swinging the butt end of his stick at a player's head and instigating a fight in the final 2 minutes of the game, there would probably be no suspension.

49 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Glad to see the NHL cares about enforcing the Instigator Rule in the playoffs these days. I guess Darnell Nurse isn't as big a name or as important a player to Edmonton as Egveni Malkin was to Pittsburgh back in 2009. This not being the Stanley Cup Final probably impacted the decision as well. If this were, let's say, Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Final, and it were Leon Draisaitl swinging the butt end of his stick at a player's head and instigating a fight in the final 2 minutes of the game, there would probably be no suspension.

Nurse has looked a bit off this series.

You know which Oiler defenceman has had an impressive playoffs? Evan Bouchard, 15 points in 10 games. The same Evan Bouchard that Kenny apparently had decided to take if Zadina hadn't fallen into his lap.

Edited by lordstanley

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Nurse has looked a bit off this series.

You know which Oiler defenceman has had an impressive playoffs? Evan Bouchard, 15 points in 10 games. The same Evan Bouchard that Kenny apparently had decided to take if Zadina hadn't fallen into his lap.

I haven't been very impressed with Nurse or Bouchard in their own zone this series but maybe I haven't seen enough of their games.  They both made some awful plays a few games ago leading to goals against.  It seems like they're more 4th forwards than actual defensemen most plays.

3 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

I haven't been very impressed with Nurse or Bouchard in their own zone this series but maybe I haven't seen enough of their games.  They both made some awful plays a few games ago leading to goals against.  It seems like they're more 4th forwards than actual defensemen most plays.

If it’s any consolation, that how I feel about Quinn Hughes’ game. Don’t know what the fancy stats say, but to me it seems 90% of the value he brings is offense. 

Edited by lordstanley

14 hours ago, lordstanley said:

If it’s any consolation, that how I feel about Quinn Hughes’ game. Don’t know what the fancy stats say, but to me it seems 90% of the value he brings is offense. 

I feel the same way!  I am  not sure if it is just me trying to cope but it makes me feel better about passing on them.  Too many of those guys on a team and it is tough to win imo, but I'm no expert. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Kind of depressing that Detroit sports have been reduced to two points of collective joy: the day the Leafs get eliminated and the day the Yankees get eliminated.

I'm okay with it for today. Show Maples Leafs Square, cowards!

Hate is stronger than love sometimes. 

Now if the Lions can make it to a Super Bowl in the next two or three years, they don’t even have to win it, I think the Leafs would be the undisputed most loserish franchise in pro sports. 

• Thanks 1

It used to bring me joy to root against Edmonton and laugh at them coming up short. It was more wanting to root against and laugh at Ken Holland. But now, I can't bring myself to root against them or laugh anymore. I'm growing beyond always being against Kenny.

It looks like Edmonton, barring a 3rd period comeback, will lose tonight and be eliminated by Vegas. I fell bad for such incredibly talented players like McDavid and Draisaitl languishing in the playoffs year after year. I feel bad for their fans having to watch a team with such amazing top-end talent come up short yet again.

I think I’m biased, but I am always happy when a team with one of amazing #1 overall picks gets eliminated.  If the Wings can’t get get one of those picks even when they suck then I just don’t care to see a team succeed with one.