2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs

7 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Oilers out. 
Vegas with 4th conference finals appearance in 6 seasons 

Amazing they are doing this with career  backup Laurent Brossoit between the pipes.   A Kraken/Knights WCF would be something.    

As for the Oilers, Evander Kane’s offensive talent disappeared once again after he wanted to play tough guy.  He was huge in the LA series and had only a single assist in this one.  They also need a little better defensive play on the blue line.  Bouchard is fantastic as an offensive guy but Kenny really messed up signing Darnell Nurse to a huge deal.  4 more years at $9.5 with a no move clause.  Ouch.  He’s probably in the top 10 overpaid players in the league and the same could be said for backup goalie Jack Campbell.   They need more help and can’t waste cap space like that with so much already invested in the big 2. 

Dallas-Seattle Game 7 tonight. A Kraken win would maintain my interest in these playoffs. I like the Canucks, don’t mind their fans, sometimes cheer for or against them in a series depending on the circumstances. BUT. …if Seattle were to somehow beat the Canucks to a Cup?? Haha, that would be the funniest thing ever. The city of Vancouver would completely lose its collective mind. 

• Like 2

1-0 Stars after 2 in Game 7. 

Amazing at how poorly Seattle is playing in its own zone.  You be hard pressed to find a team play this undisciplined in a game 7 and still be in it.   Grub is single handedly keeping this from being 5 or 6 to nothing .  

Edited by Hongbit

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Miami, Dallas, Las Vegas and Raleigh.     Real hockey hotbeds.   This kinda sucks.  

Not sure why that matters.  Toronto is the biggest hockey hotbed in the world and nobody except you wanted them to win.   Same deal goes with Chicago, Montreal, and Boston.   

21 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Not sure why that matters.  Toronto is the biggest hockey hotbed in the world and nobody except you wanted them to win.   Same deal goes with Chicago, Montreal, and Boston.   

I would like to see at least a couple places where most of the population doesn't stay "Oh, we have a hockey team?"

11 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

You have obviously spent no time in Raleigh or Vegas.    

The Triangle area of NC has long been a hockey hotbed. Some great minor league teams in Charlotte and Greensboro back in the day with the old Eastern Hockey League (see Slapshot). Throw in the number of folks from Northeastern cities moving into the area, along with folks moving halfway back from Florida, Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina  

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I would like to see at least a couple places where most of the population doesn't stay "Oh, we have a hockey team?"

the total number of hockey fans in dallas dwarfs the amount in edmonton.  

Vegas and Carolina both look to have fun, lively arenas and I would like to see games there. I like the camera angles on Dallas home games, captures the crowd well. Florida I like because my daughter took her loyalties to the Panthers when Luongo got traded back there. So I have no problems with the markets. Just there’s no one team or player left who I would really like to see win the Cup, the way I cheered for Thornton’s Sharks to the final and the Caps and Blues when they won it all. 

Edited by lordstanley

i would never root for the saint louis blues.  horrible city.  

i dont care about any of the teams left standing.  im just happy the leafs got beat.  no leafs, no hawks, no blues, no avs.  as a side thing, no canadian teams is always hilarious.

Bettman needs to admit defeat as he had to do on Atlanta and give another Canadian market its team back. Before Houston gets a team it's past time to give Quebec City a team back. Relocate Arizona to Quebec and get the naming rights for the Nordiques and call it a day. If not Quebec City then I'd like to see Milwaukee get a team if there is an ownership group willing to fund it.

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Bettman needs to admit defeat as he had to do on Atlanta and give another Canadian market its team back. Before Houston gets a team it's past time to give Quebec City a team back. Relocate Arizona to Quebec and get the naming rights for the Nordiques and call it a day. If not Quebec City then I'd like to see Milwaukee get a team if there is an ownership group willing to fund it.

why?  a houston team is much more valuable.  there are almost as many people in houston's metro area than there are in the entire province of quebec.  plus the canadiens are firmly entrenched as the favorite team there.  

but you never know, they went back to winnipeg so maybe they will?

i wonder if they go back to atlanta again?  i cant imagine they would, but the population is changing since they left and they do support an mls team pretty well.  lots of milenials moving down there in the last decade.  i bet they at least kick the tires on it again.

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Looks like one less terrible market for MCS to scream at from his lawn.   This looks to be the death of hockey in Phoenix.   Will be interesting to see where they end up.  

I read today that the Suns’ owner might have an interest in buying them and playing out of same arena. But I can’t imagine that’s the case, as surely that option would have been fully explored by now. 

15 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

The Triangle area of NC has long been a hockey hotbed. Some great minor league teams in Charlotte and Greensboro back in the day with the old Eastern Hockey League (see Slapshot). Throw in the number of folks from Northeastern cities moving into the area, along with folks moving halfway back from Florida, Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina  

I recall someone gave me awesome seats 8 or so years ago. Because they could not sell them. The stadium was always empty back then.

16 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Then you'll be happy to hear that the Hurricanes now have one of the best fanbases in the league.  I was even in the area in the offseason and Hurricanes love was everywhere.  Just because they don't play in Toronto doesn't mean they don't have a good fanbase.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, digitalpigsmuggler said:

I recall someone gave me awesome seats 8 or so years ago. Because they could not sell them. The stadium was always empty back then.

And the Blackhawks couldn't get any fans to the arena before being gifted Kane and Toews in the draft, crazy how people are more willing to support the teams when they're playing well!!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I read today that the Suns’ owner might have an interest in buying them and playing out of same arena. But I can’t imagine that’s the case, as surely that option would have been fully explored by now. 

The Coyotes probably should have relocated long before we got to this point, where they are playing in a C-grade college arena in front of like 4,500 fans. I feel for the fans, as I can remember how crazy the Coyotes white outs would be back in the day of seeing them in the playoffs. It's clear though that the city doesn't want to play ball with a modern day professional sports team.

I think the NHL has different lists for expansion and relocation. Expansion efforts make more sense in markets with a fanbase that will need to be energized quickly for sustainability. They played this masterfully with Vegas and Seattle. If either of those cities inherited a sad excuse for a team like the current Coyotes, I don't think they would be enjoying anywhere near the long-term success they're currently setup for. OTOH, relocation makes more sense with an existing fanbase you knew would welcome anything and everything that comes its way. Winnipeg being the example.

Atlanta, Kansas City, and Salt Lake City would all make sense for expansion, but I think would struggle to inherit this Coyotes team. For that, I think Houston, Hamilton, and Quebec City make the most sense. Maybe Milwaukee as well. I'd love to see a team in Halifax out of morbid curiosity if it would work, though I doubt the NHL has big enough cajones to try it.

Moving the Coyotes east would also be interesting for potential ramifications on the Wings, as a relocation to the east coast could see them return to the Central.

Edited by MichiganCardinal