2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs

6 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

That game last night was nuts!  I almost fell asleep before the end on the west coast.

I'm kinda shocked about Dubas but he seems kinda worn out.  I wonder when he'll come back to a team.

rumor is that pittsburgh wants him.

not sure how dubas goes but keefe stays.  wtf has keefe done in the playoffs?

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

rumor is that pittsburgh wants him.

not sure how dubas goes but keefe stays.  wtf has keefe done in the playoffs?

My completely uneducated guess is the new GM ejects Keefe asap, but who knows.  It seems like Dubas might sit out at least a season but maybe a team like the Pens gives him enough money to come back right away.

On 5/1/2023 at 6:31 AM, RandyMarsh said:

Lol I don't care what happens the rest of the way now that the Bruins lost. Despite having family in Boston I love to see that fan base suffer!

I don't follow hockey at all, but I have a couple of questions. 

(1) I know the Bruins had one of the best regular seasons in history and then they lost in the first round to some botton feeder from Florida.  Is the NHL regular season always that pointless? 

(2) Why do you hate Bruins fans.  I know very well that the Red Sox fans are entitled cry babies who think the whole sport is about them and that Patriots fans are pompous assholes who are still living vicariously through Tom Brady.  I know that fans from other cities are still mad at the Bird era Celtics.  But Bruins fans seem to be the best of the bunch.  I mean they aint no rocket scientists, but they seem to be loyal and somewhat down to earth people.  

17 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

(1) I know the Bruins had one of the best regular seasons in history and then they lost in the first round to some botton feeder from Florida.  Is the NHL regular season always that pointless? 

(2) Why do you hate Bruins fans.  I know very well that the Red Sox fans are entitled cry babies who think the whole sport is about them and that Patriots fans are pompous assholes who are still living vicariously through Tom Brady.  I know that fans from other cities are still mad at the Bird era Celtics.  But Bruins fans seem to be the best of the bunch.  I mean they aint no rocket scientists, but they seem to be loyal and somewhat down to earth people.  

florida is not a bottom feeder.  they were the best team in the regular season just one year ago and added one of the best young players in the game this offseason (albeit with giving up two good players to get him).  it took florida a while to get going this season, but they were playing very well down the stretch.  florida's goalie played extremely well in the playoffs and boston's did not (through overwork or just bad luck).  

all boston fans are entitled massholes.  bruins fans included.  they were a **** organization for years but once they tasted a bitbof success, they lorded it over everyone.  not only that, but they have one of the most hated, dirty players in the sport on their team (brad marchand) who just happened to say nasty things about detroit following the bertuzzi trade.

25 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

1. The upset of the Bruins was one of the biggest in hockey history. And Florida is better than typical #8 seeds, having had a very good season last year and then this year handling the Leafs with relative ease after getting by Boston. NHL playoffs are not as unpredictable as some perceive, almost always the two finalists are top 7 teams overall in the regular season. That said, the first round has a fair number of upsets and being the home team is less of an advantage than in the NBA and NFL, and the #1 seed doesn’t win it all any more than a #2 or #3 seed. 

2.I don’t think of Bruins fans as being hated. I’d say fans of Philly and Chicago are who we hear  more often about as being hated. No one feels sorry for Boston fans though giving so many championships across all sports since 2000. Fair bit of hate towards  the Bruins as a team because they’ve a) been very good for 10-15 years now: b) as an Original Six team have been around long enough to build up rivalries with the Habs and Rangers and Leafs (incidentally no rivalry to speak of with the Wings, I don’t believe the two teams have met in the playoffs since the ‘40s); and c) Marchand and Lukic and Chara and Tim Thomas and Krecji are the type to elicit reactions. 

Edited by lordstanley
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I know the Bruins had one of the best regular seasons in history and then they lost in the first round to some botton feeder from Florida.  Is the NHL regular season always that pointless? 

Red Wings were the victims of pretty bad cases of this more than once. There are a few  things that go into it I think. I'd say the main thing is that Hockey is an energy sport. If a team can raise it's energy level it can defeat a team of more skilled players. It is possible for a team to play the 4 games needed to win a series at an energy level that makes them better than they could possibly have sustained for a full season. If the other team doesn't meet it, they lose. 

Hockey can also also turn into a game of physical intimidation, and sometimes a physically stronger team simply beats up a better team and takes them out of their game. This is what happened to the Wings at least once and it can turn on the officiating. You never really know if the league is going to decide from year to year to mandate closely or losely called playoff games, but officiating can absolutely be different in the playoffs one way or the other. If the officials swallow the whistles that's another recipe for a more skilled team with the better regular season record to be upset. The third thing is goalies. They are mercurial. If you have one go South at playoff time, you will probably be toast no matter what your regular season record.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

When it comes to Boston sports, the Bruins are the best smelling turd.  

In recent years, Washington and Tampa and Colorado have all won the year the year AFTER winning the President’s Trophy after failing to do so their Trophy-winning year. Panthers are one win from the SCF after a 1-0 win tonight. It would be a Tkachuk-Bobrovsky toss-up for the Conn Smythe, IMO, if the season ended tonight. 

7C2772A1-6F8A-41F6-AFCB-2C121964E00D.jpeg

Edited by lordstanley

65-12-5 is still mind blowing to me. Only to lose three in a row to a team that came within a point of not making the playoffs.

This Panthers run is slightly redeeming to the Bruins I'm sure (if consolation points mean anything when you're watching from home). I think they'd likely be the ones up 3-0 on the Canes if they had won game seven against the Panthers.

Amazing that all four of the NHL and NBA Conference Finals could end in sweeps. When has that ever happened?

Dallas is in a complete freefall tonight and is mentally checked out. Two players given game misconducts in a playoff game from the same team is an inexcusable lack of discipline.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

22 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

65-12-5 is still mind blowing to me. Only to lose three in a row to a team that came within a point of not making the playoffs.

This Panthers run is slightly redeeming to the Bruins I'm sure (if consolation points mean anything when you're watching from home). I think they'd likely be the ones up 3-0 on the Canes if they had won game seven against the Panthers.

And if Marchand had converted here the Bruins would have won the series in 5! Wild, just wild.

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Amazing that all four of the NHL and NBA Conference Finals could end in sweeps. When has that ever happened?

Dallas is in a complete freefall tonight and is mentally checked out. Two players given game misconducts in a playoff game from the same team is an inexcusable lack of discipline.

And Oettinger giving up 3 goals on first 5 shots.

Then all the stuff thrown on the ice including this: