04/21/2023 7:05pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Baltimore Orioles

casimir

25 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What to do with JH Malloy.      Can't catch a cold but he gets on base like crazy.    He's exactly the hitter they are lookin for. 

They need to clear the decks with designated hitters...or he has to prove he can play a corner position.

11 hours ago, kdog said:

They are probably building Lorenzen back up. Gave them 5 max effort innings and they didn't want to push it.

I like the way he was handled.  He's probably still catching up in SP stamina.

I don't like solo inning reliever appearances beginning in the 6th inning.  It seems like that's where Alexander or Englert should be in there to get through the lineup once.

10 hours ago, mtutiger said:

All Hail St. Fetter.

Imagine what he would do with a better offense 

Cisnero isn't an MLB quality pitcher.  Its tough to be upset about him tossing up a meatball when he shouldn't be on a roster.

Relief pitching gave up the tie twice.  But its tough to blame pitching for giving up only two runs.

The balls & strikes were questioned above.  It seemed to me that the zone was a bit wider to the outside than what the Tigers thought it was.  My worthless opinion is they were giving away too many borderline pitches when last night wasn't the night to do that.

27 minutes ago, casimir said:

I like the way he was handled.  He's probably still catching up in SP stamina.

I don't like solo inning reliever appearances beginning in the 6th inning.  It seems like that's where Alexander or Englert should be in there to get through the lineup once.

agreed. 

I'm not real sold on Foley either. Gives up more contact than is comfortable for a short reliever - certainly not going to be top pick to come in with runners on base. I don't know if Hinch crossed himself up last night or just didn't like the way the Baltimore order lined-up but you'd have though the logical thing was Holton to come in first for two or more.

But then again Dickerson did say during the Broadcast that Hinch thought he had guys that needed work so that was probably also in play.

Holton looks interesting - you wonder if he can keep it up. Not much on his stuff - the guys in radio booth concluded he must hide the ball really well as despite the low velo guys seemed to be constantly behind against him. 

Three guys in the pen (Holton, Englert, Alexander) who can go two or three could be the beginning of a paradigm shift for Hinch.

Edited by gehringer_2

13 minutes ago, casimir said:

The balls & strikes were questioned above.

And does it seem to you that Torkelson seems like a magnet for bad called strikes from all the umps? Something about his stance? Does he mutter about the umps under his breath, need different deordorant? I mean, WTF?

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

And does it seem to you that Torkelson seems like a magnet for bad called strikes from all the umps? Something about his stance? Does he mutter about the umps under his breath, need different deordorant? I mean, WTF?

I wouldn't think his stance would affect the strike zone more than another player.  My guess is that the width is the width for umpires (and granted, there are differences from ump to ump on the borders), and height might be variable by batting stance.  I don't think Torkelson has such an out of the ordinary stance that his strike zone is affected by it.

I do wonder if his approach affects him.  I think I've seen/heard enough critique about him that he's too passive early in the count.  Maybe that sets up his strike zone as too narrow to begin with, I don't know.

And then, I guess, how accurate is the strike zone box that we see on TV?  I'd imagine its pretty close, but some straight in camera angles are slightly different than others.  And those slight camera angles might not be reflected precisely with that box.

7 minutes ago, casimir said:

And then, I guess, how accurate is the strike zone box that we see on TV?

I haven't checked it out recently, but when Fox first starting using their box, it was consistently narrower than the Pitch F/X box on gameday. But it's be a few years since I paid that level of attention. I like the ball parks where they can give you the overhead of the ball crossing the plate - that's pretty much the last word.  I imagine the Umps don't.

18 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Can we stop the Nick Maton leading off experiment?  He went 0-4 tonight and is now batting .140.  Are there really no other options? 

Nobody on the roster is projected to have an OBP above .325, so there really are no other optuons.