2021/22 Regular Season Thread

22 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Friedman is saying that Verbeek is a finalist for the GM job in Anaheim.  Seems like he's pretty good in the front office, if that happens I wonder if Lidstrom slides into a bit of his role or what happens.

he might need to move back from sweden to do that.  not sure if he wants that.

24 minutes ago, buddha said:

he might need to move back from sweden to do that.  not sure if he wants that.

He's been in town the last few games or so I think, who knows!

https://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/red_wings_nick_leddy_ruled_out_through_all_star_break_with_upper_body_injury/s1_16955_37141727?utm_source=mb&utm_medium=email&mb_edition=20220202&mb_loc=right_h

Leddy hasn't been looking fantastic to me

Wheeler at the Athletic has the Wings at 7th best prospect pool, the write ups are much longer here are some excerpts:

That the Red Wings pool still ranks this high, after graduating their two best prospects to the NHL, speaks volumes of two things.

The first, is the job they did with their 2021 draft class. Seven of their eight 2021 picks made it into my top 20 here and the other is included as an honourable mention. There are only a handful of teams I can say that about, with the vast majority having picked multiple players that I didn’t include in my rankings as part of this series. And it’s not just about Simon Edvinsson or Sebastian Cossa. Certainly, those are the two guys who kept them in this range (I debated ranking the Red Wings as low as ninth but no lower). But it’s about the value they appear to have found in their other six picks too, led by the breakout success of Carter Mazur.

1. Simon Edvinsson, LHD, 18 (Frolunda HC)

This has been a very positive development year for Edvinsson. He’s averaging 20 minutes a game (and has often pushed 23-24) in his first full season at the SHL level, he looked like a force in the short-lived world juniors, and the areas of his game that needed (and need) some cleaning up are getting it. His ceiling is extremely high and backed by a unique set of traits and skills for a 6-foot-5 player (let alone defenceman), including his exceptional hands and control of the puck, his fearlessness with and without, and his strong foundational knowledge of how to use his towering frame to defend in a variety of ways (with an active stick, with step-up physicality when opportunities present themselves, on box-outs, etc.). If he can develop his shot (one of those areas that still needs work), continue to smooth out his game, and make better choices (which he’s doing), the potential is there in spades.

2. Sebastian Cossa, G, 18 (Edmonton Oil Kings)

It has been a bit of a mixed bag for Cossa since the draft (at least relative to what we’re used to/expect out of him). I’ve watched him play live more than double-digit times this season (first in Traverse City and Calgary in the summer, then again in Calgary in December) and I’ve seen him play games where he looked unflappable and others where he looked rattled as shots snuck through holes they shouldn’t be finding.

3. Jonatan Berggren, LW/RW, 21 (Grand Rapids Griffins)

After a tremendous 20-year-old season in the SHL, Berggren’s 21-year-old season in the AHL has met the same standard, reaffirming his position as the highest-ceiling forward prospect in the Red Wings system now that Raymond has graduated. Berggren can torment teams with his east-west skill on the perimeter, hanging onto pucks, playing with unique poise under pressure, and using his hands and footwork to draw defenders to him so his linemates can get open in the space those defenders leave behind.

4. William Wallinder, LHD, 19 (Rogle BK)

Wallinder’s game has always screamed “upside” and “potential” and this year we’re beginning to see it all come together for him in the SHL. His raw tools all get high grades. He’s tall (6-foot-4) and long. He’s athletic. He’s got impressive four-way mobility for that size. And he’s still early in his development curve thanks t a late-July birthday. It’s the finer details and skills that have needed tweaking.

After starting the season playing less than 10 minutes a night in the early going, he played 23:38 in my last viewing and has moved from depth defender to important roster piece there. If he keeps it up, he may do the same in Detroit eventually. There are several D after Edvinsson in the Red Wings pool who project as No. 5-7 guys. Wallinder’s got the tools to be a second-pairing guy if he stays on this trajectory.

5. Joe Veleno, C, 22 (Detroit Red Wings/Grand Rapids Griffins)

Veleno’s starting to reach the what-you-see-is-what-you-get chapter of his development where he moves from prospect to play and the progression of his game slows down. I thought about ranking him lower here as a result because it looks like that ceiling will plateau as a bottom-six forward.

6. Albert Johansson, LHD, 21 (Färjestad BK)

Johansson just keeps playing well and pushing his career in the right direction. There’s nothing particularly dynamic about his game but he has established himself as an impactful, play-driving SHL defenceman for the roundedness of his game at both ends (lacking dynamic quality doesn’t necessarily equate to lacking offence!). His game is subtly effective, relying on smart reads, smooth skating and edgework, decent poise with the puck across the line and calculated choices with and without the puck.

7. Theodor Niederbach, C/RW, 19 (Frölunda HC)

Niederbach is a slick playmaker who thrives in possession and really pops as an east-west passer and power-play distributor. He has great handles and edges when he attacks off the wall, weaving his way into the middle and maneuvering around opponents. And he’s capable of playing quickly, making plays under pressure or slowing things down. He layers fakes and deception into his game, sliding under defenders with his hands or a quick cut. But while he’s got a nifty little curl and drag release that he adjusts around sticks and feet to change angles on goalies, he’s more of a playmaker than a scorer.

8. Elmer Soderblom, C/LW, 20 (Frölunda HC)

Soderblom is one of the sport’s most fascinating prospects because of his combination of size (6-foot-8, 238 pounds) and rare soft skill. Soderblom has A-level hands in tight to his body for his size, helping him control the puck on a string on curls, drags and spins. There are still some things about his game that need to be sorted out, too (he can rely a little too much on his reach at times, killing plays by slowing down his feet to try to reach around defenders, for example). But he was a July birthday in his draft year, he has made fast progress to become one of the more productive young players in the SHL, I like his power-play utility as a giant net-front guy with skill (those guys are hard to find) and he just has unbelievable dexterity and feel out there for his size, regularly controlling bouncing pucks and corralling bad passes. It’s starting to feel like he might be the rare exception to the rule (one that says that almost no forwards his size ever make it as more than fourth-liners).

9. Carter Mazur, LW/RW, 19 (University of Denver)

The best story in the Red Wings pool this season, Mazur is a kid who would have ranked near the bottom of this list had I done it in the summer. His play at Denver has become a real talking point in college hockey circles. As I write this, he’s seventh in under-20 scoring in college hockey and in a tight race for the freshman scoring lead with Josh Doan (Coyotes/Arizona State) and Matthew Knies (Leafs/University of Minnesota), playing above a point per game. Mazur’s a hard-working, honest 200-foot winger with enough skill to make plays all over the ice and finish around the net. Every team wants the three-zone, competitive winger who can play up and down the lineup and that’s what he’s now starting to project as.

10. Donovan Sebrango, LHD, 20 (Grand Rapids Griffins)

I’ve watched a lot of Sebrango this year between three different Hockey Canada events (two in Calgary, one in Edmonton) and Traverse City. And I would say that in those games, he has played poorly just once. Increasingly, that’s becoming what he’s about. He’s the no-nights-off, physically engaged blend between a modern defenceman and a throwback. There are times when his first touch isn’t the smoothest and I’d like him to make the long play instead of the rushed one under pressure, but I don’t think he needs to change his game to be effective and I get the sense he doesn’t care to (he trusts in who he is out there).

11. Jared McIssac

12. Antti Tuomisto

Tuomisto is a low-floor, high-ceiling defender with all of the physical tools needed to become an NHL player. He processes the game at pace. His point shot is heavy (that includes his long-range wrister, his one-timer and his windup slap shot, the last of which is becoming rare among young defencemen). He’s big (6-foot-5, over 200 pounds) and physical and understands how to leverage that advantage to push opponents off of pucks.

13. Shai Buium

14. Liam Dower Nilsson

15. Eemil Viro

16. Robert Mastrosimone

17. Red Savage

18. Alex Cotton

19. Pasquale Zito

20. Otto Kivenmaki

maybe i'm greedy, but i was hoping for higher than 7.  lol.

he has edvinsson, cossa, and berggren as the only high level contributors in the group, with the next level as maybe being solid contributing players.

after 12, its still a crapshoot if they can contribute or not.

but this group combined with two calder candidates on the big squad is not bad.

I honestly felt pleasantly surprised they were at 7 after both Seider and Raymond "graduated" from the list.  Losing your two top prospects from your pool is going to thin any team out.  Ned shows some promise in net as well so they have some young pieces around.  The next couple drafts will be interesting to see who they can get in the first couple rounds and how ready they are for the NHL.

34 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

I honestly felt pleasantly surprised they were at 7 after both Seider and Raymond "graduated" from the list.  Losing your two top prospects from your pool is going to thin any team out.  Ned shows some promise in net as well so they have some young pieces around.  The next couple drafts will be interesting to see who they can get in the first couple rounds and how ready they are for the NHL.

this would be a good draft to be 1 or 2.  which will suck when it ends up being the blackhawks so they can replace kane/toewes.

although the league might be pissed at them after the sex abuse thing.  nyah, they'll still give it to a big market.

Speaking of the Olympics, interesting tidbit about Chris Chelios’ who is competing in Olympics hockey. For the States? For Canada? Greece? Nope. 

From today’s Toronto Globe & Mail:

One such player this year is the son of a four-time U.S. Olympian, Chris Chelios. “Obviously I’m not Chinese but for the last three years I’ve been playing for the Chinese team, I’ve got the chance to live here and I love it,” Jake Chelios, who competes as Jieke Kailiaosi, told the Olympic news service this week.

• Confused 1

Wallinder picked up a couple assists in his last game, moving him into the scoring lead for junior players in the SHL.  Kronwall was in attendance too, here's a roughly translated Swedish article on it with a little interview

https://www-expressen-se.translate.goog/kvallsposten/sport/hockey/imponerade-framfor-ogonen-pa-kronwall-/?_x_tr_sl=sv&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

He says Kronwall has probably checked in on him 5 times or so this season in person which is pretty cool.  It is nice to see the Wings' player development working so closely with players even when overseas.