2021/22 Regular Season Thread

25 minutes ago, buddha said:

https://www.wingedwheelpodcast.com/post/if-i-were-steve-yzerman-2022-edition-part-1

pras is always good at these.

bottom line: we have a long way to go.

They are crappy on D because they do not attack the puck when the other team has it - they all sag off all the time - they don't fore-check, they don't close-out opposing puck carriers. They basically wait to recover pucks after shots on goal and aren't very good at that either. There are two extreme poles as to why - 1) they are just too slow 2) they have been coached to play that way. 

I have no question that #1 is at least partly true, but replacing Blashill should help resolve the balance between those possibilities. Of course the degree to which #2 is the problem is why he had to go. For instance there is no reason for Larkin or Bertuzzi to rank poorly defensively.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

They are crappy on D because they do not attack the puck when the other team has it - they all sag off all the time - they don't fore-check, they don't close-out opposing puck carriers. They basically wait to recover pucks after shots on goal and aren't very good at that either. There are two extreme poles as to why - 1) they are just too slow 2) they have been coached to play that way. 

I have no question that #1 is at least partly true, but replacing Blashill should help resolve the balance between those possibilities. Of course the degree to which #2 is the problem is why he had to go. For instance there is no reason for Larkin or Bertuzzi to rank poorly defensively.

Watch Dallas in the playoffs was the exact same.  What Calgary was entering the zone I half expected the d-men to be behind the net they were falling back so fast.  I think it’s your only option when you are out skilled.

3 hours ago, sagnam said:

Watch Dallas in the playoffs was the exact same.  What Calgary was entering the zone I half expected the d-men to be behind the net they were falling back so fast.  I think it’s your only option when you are out skilled.

This is the correct answer.

Which means the OTHER correct answer is that the Wings need to vastly improve their D-Line talent before we can dream of a fast physical defense that can both keep the other team in front of them as well as hit them/ take pucks away from them.

That also means a little extra help from the forwards as well so there is also a talent need there of course...

21 hours ago, sagnam said:

Binnington is out the rest of round 2.  For him that’s the rest of this playoffs.  Players should be held responsible for “going hard to the net.”

I don't like Kadri but I'm not sure what he's supposed to do there.  He's battling with a defenseman trying to get to a loose puck outside the crease and gets tangled up with the defenseman.  It is unfortunate it happened but I didn't even see a penalty on the play myself.  It's like Girard's broken sternum to me, it wasn't illegal just an unfortunate result.

Binnington being the absolute baby he is throwing a water bottle at Kadri during an interview is so hilarious though.  Dude is a major headcase/child and I'm so glad he isn't my team's goalie.

36 minutes ago, buddha said:

friedman reporting yzerman is interested in trotz and he is going to interview for the position.

Interesting development.   I assumed it was going to be either Lalonde or Halpern once TB’s season ends.   

7 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

I don't like Kadri but I'm not sure what he's supposed to do there.  He's battling with a defenseman trying to get to a loose puck outside the crease and gets tangled up with the defenseman.  It is unfortunate it happened but I didn't even see a penalty on the play myself.  It's like Girard's broken sternum to me, it wasn't illegal just an unfortunate result.

Binnington being the absolute baby he is throwing a water bottle at Kadri during an interview is so hilarious though.  Dude is a major headcase/child and I'm so glad he isn't my team's goalie.

Binnington throwing the bottle was lame.  That being said this isn’t about Kadri.  I think it’s going to have to be that players are responsible for being in control of their body. So even if you get bumped you have put yourself in a position that you are going to run the goalie then that’s on you. Binnington was completely in the crease and got destroyed.  Nothing he could do there, so something else need to be done.

It happened against tonight, Bobrovsky got blown up by Cirelli.  Cirelli was bumped and possibly hooked but they still called a penalty on him.  I think this is going to be the solution except maybe bumping it up to a double minor or major. It used to be that your skill player would have gotten the shit beaten out of him for this, but that not the game anymore.

One problem I see with that idea is it lets the defender (in this case the guy that was trying to keep Kadri from getting the puck) completely off the hook. If the offensive player is responsible for maintaining control over his body, how can that work if another player hits him?

I guess there could be an expanded crease zone where players are required to be slowing or stopping or swerving away from the net area (instead of full speed). Would still be a judgement call by the refs. 

23 minutes ago, Dan Gilmore said:

One problem I see with that idea is it lets the defender (in this case the guy that was trying to keep Kadri from getting the puck) completely off the hook. If the offensive player is responsible for maintaining control over his body, how can that work if another player hits him?

I guess there could be an expanded crease zone where players are required to be slowing or stopping or swerving away from the net area (instead of full speed). Would still be a judgement call by the refs. 

I'd love to see an expanded crease. All the scrumming in front of the net is not my favorite part of hockey anyway.

Edited by gehringer_2