2021/22 Regular Season Thread

1 hour ago, buddha said:

cossa's numbers have dipped this year a bit.  but it has to be all about projection with him.  he's huge!  6'6!

Myself, I'm not worried about Cossa (nor do I feel particularly sure about him) at this age.  Plus juniors is such a different beast defensively / offensivley compared to even the AHL let alone the NHL.  He still ended up with fairly solid numbers even with being so up and down.  It'll be interesting to see where he goes from here.  Wallstadt is backing up in the SHL playoffs and Askarov got demoted to the VHL, young goalies are voodoo more than linear development.

31 minutes ago, buddha said:

wallinder wins top u20 player in sweden.  following in seider's footsteps...

how many of our Euros could make the jump next season without a year at GR? 

I would think if they can't bring at least 4 successful players to the Wings next season it's hard to see how the season could be a success.

Edited by gehringer_2

23 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

how many of our Euros could make the jump next season without a year at GR? 

I would think if they can't bring at least 4 successful players to the Wings next season it's hard to see how the season could be a success.

i hope they all can but i doubt any of them can.

20 hours ago, lordstanley said:

1. I doubt that this is the first time he's been caught doing it and I'll just leave it at that with all the rumors flying around

2. You can't just whip your junk out and pee wherever you want in a place of business where other people are.  Especially a high profile business.  There was a bathroom nearby, he can use it like an adult in my opinion.  If he can't walk 60 feet to the bathroom how can he do his job?  What if this uncontrollable urge strikes him when he's driving the zamboni during an intermission?  Does he just get to pee on the ice?  If it is so bad he shouldn't be working anyways.  I'm shocked people are giving him a pass on this.

Frolunda (Edvinsson and Soderblom) will be live on ESPN+ in about half an hour for anyone who has it

• Like 1

I honestly wasn't able to watch much sadly, work has been crazy today.  Edvinsson had missed some games with a mystery injury so I'm glad he played today. 

Also can't go back and edit my post but my response on Al reads back a lot more aggressive than I intended originally.  Think I was mixing my work frustrations with surprise about Al.

2 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

I honestly wasn't able to watch much sadly, work has been crazy today.  Edvinsson had missed some games with a mystery injury so I'm glad he played today. 

Also can't go back and edit my post but my response on Al reads back a lot more aggressive than I intended originally.  Think I was mixing my work frustrations with surprise about Al.

I think your point was said well.  Urinating in a drain is unacceptable.

I think it was Bultman at the Athletic who said Soderblom has better hands than his current wing comp Rasmussen...but he doesn't skate as well.

As of now..we draft in the eight slot.  If we can lose out while Ottawa can swing five points in their remaining five games (they have 11 over their last 10) we would move up to seven.

43 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

has better hands than his current wing comp Rasmussen...but he doesn't skate as well.

"doesn't skate as well as Rusmussen"? That's not good to hear. Although in fairness, I would say it's not Ras' skating to much per se as his lack of strength on his skates that is the issue. He can get there but he's too easy to knock of the puck once he does.

I don't think anyone seemed cooler or more exciting to me in the late '70s NHL than Guy Lafleur

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/guy-lafleur-obituary-1.5766441

Montreal Canadiens icon Guy Lafleur, who captured five Stanley Cup titles and was a hockey hero in Quebec long before his NHL playing days, has died. He was 70.

The cause of death was not immediately known. However, Lafleur suffered through health issues in the latter stages of his life. In September 2019, he underwent quadruple bypass heart surgery, which was followed by lung surgery two months later.

Then, in October of 2020, he endured a recurrence of lung cancer.

"We are deeply saddened to learn of the death of Guy Lafleur. All members of the Canadiens organization are devastated by his passing," Canadiens President Geoff Molson said in a statement.

"Guy Lafleur had an exceptional career and always remained simple, accessible, and close to the Habs and hockey fans in Quebec, Canada and around the world. Throughout his career, he allowed us to experience great moments of collective pride. He was one of the greatest players in our organization while becoming an extraordinary ambassador for our sport."

For decades, Lafleur — nicknamed "The Flower" — scored seemingly with ease at all levels of hockey and grew into the role of one of the game's flashiest superstars. He often mesmerized fans with his signature long blond hair flowing behind him as he rushed up the ice before unleashing one of his patented booming slapshots.

By his 10th birthday, there were already signs that Lafleur was a generational talent, skating circles around kids three years his senior at an international peewee hockey tournament in Quebec City.

Lafleur played junior hockey for the Quebec Jr. Aces and Quebec Remparts. He amassed a staggering 465 points in two seasons and two playoffs with the Remparts, leading the team to the Memorial Cup title in 1971.

That year, Lafleur set the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League regular-season record of 130 goals, which was eclipsed by another French hockey prodigy, Mario Lemieux (133), in the 1983-84 campaign.