2021/22 Regular Season Thread

Have talked with some friends about this today. I’m happy with how things worked out for the Wings. Ultimately, I don’t think a Gretzky trade would have resulted in a better era than we ended up getting 

https://www.audacy.com/971theticket/sports/detroit-red-wings/wayne-gretzky-recalls-red-wings-trade-that-wasnt?utm_campaign=www.audacy.com%2F971theticket&utm_content=1651080307&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_term=WXYT-FM

17 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Have talked with some friends about this today. I’m happy with how things worked out for the Wings. Ultimately, I don’t think a Gretzky trade would have resulted in a better era than we ended up getting 

https://www.audacy.com/971theticket/sports/detroit-red-wings/wayne-gretzky-recalls-red-wings-trade-that-wasnt?utm_campaign=www.audacy.com%2F971theticket&utm_content=1651080307&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_term=WXYT-FM

You can wonder how Gretzky would have fared in a Scotty Bowman system, though I guess Brett Hull worked out in Det under him. The other question is who did the wings have to play Messier for Gretzky? 

46 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

You can wonder how Gretzky would have fared in a Scotty Bowman system, though I guess Brett Hull worked out in Det under him. The other question is who did the wings have to play Messier for Gretzky? 

I'm not sure who would have been Messier. The Wings did have some Semenkos on the roster at that time though.

Was it ever revealed what they would have traded to Edmonton for Wayne?

https://detroithockeynow.com/2022/04/27/draper-red-wings-will-make-johansson-decision-seasons-end/

I've been pretty high on Johansson for a while here so I am getting excited to potentially see him in North America soon.  Between him and Wallinder making significant strides this season we may be moving towards a competent defense in a few seasons.

Red Wings season point totals in the 6 straight years they've missed the playoffs. For the two Covid-shortened seasons are pro-rated it to 82 games:

2016-17       79

2017-18       73

2018-19       74

2019-20      45  (actual: 39pts in 71 games)

2020-21     70    (actual 48pts in 56 games)

2021-22     72   (with one game left to play to possibly add to that)

In mid-February, I had thought 82 pts in 82 games was a reasonable target to aim for. They were on pace for around 80 points at that time, have fallen off the cliff since then.

9 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Red Wings season point totals in the 6 straight years they've missed the playoffs. For the two Covid-shortened seasons are pro-rated it to 82 games:

2016-17       79

2017-18       73

2018-19       74

2019-20      45  (actual: 39pts in 71 games)

2020-21     70    (actual 48pts in 56 games)

2021-22     72   (with one game left to play to possibly add to that)

In mid-February, I had thought 82 pts in 82 games was a reasonable target to aim for. They were on pace for around 80 points at that time, have fallen off the cliff since then.

just shows what a pile of junk yzerman inherited.

it will probably be 2024 or 2025 before we really start to see a team that can contend.  if everything goes right.

so.....trade bert.

46 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

It is hilarious to see him stickhandle through men and still look like a giant.  Our old friend Vili Saarijärvi was trying to defend him there, man he sucks.

if even 20% of his puck possession skill translates to the NHL, he'd probably still be right there with Sieder as the Wings best possession players, and there is nothing the Wings need more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buddha said:

not sure why bultman thinks ras is a better skater than elmer.

I guess people can argue what 'better' means, but if it had been Ras in that clip above he would have been rubbed of the puck in at least two places that Elmer played past.

Edited by gehringer_2

what's the biggest conspiracy?  has to be chicago in the top 2, its the only way they can keep their pick and the league will love to give them another star since kane and toews are old now.  montreal, philly, and seattle with major "the league wants them to have a star vibe."

cynical prediction:

1) seattle

2) chicago

Byfield has shown flashes of why he was taken so high.   His skill for someone his size has been evident at the NHL level.    He’s been very unlucky thus far with injuries and just general puck luck.    He won’t turn 20 until August so he’s still ahead of schedule.