2021/22 Regular Season Thread

10 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I don't think anyone seemed cooler or more exciting to me in the late '70s NHL than Guy Lafleur

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/guy-lafleur-obituary-1.5766441

Montreal Canadiens icon Guy Lafleur, who captured five Stanley Cup titles and was a hockey hero in Quebec long before his NHL playing days, has died. He was 70.

The cause of death was not immediately known. However, Lafleur suffered through health issues in the latter stages of his life. In September 2019, he underwent quadruple bypass heart surgery, which was followed by lung surgery two months later.

Then, in October of 2020, he endured a recurrence of lung cancer.

"We are deeply saddened to learn of the death of Guy Lafleur. All members of the Canadiens organization are devastated by his passing," Canadiens President Geoff Molson said in a statement.

"Guy Lafleur had an exceptional career and always remained simple, accessible, and close to the Habs and hockey fans in Quebec, Canada and around the world. Throughout his career, he allowed us to experience great moments of collective pride. He was one of the greatest players in our organization while becoming an extraordinary ambassador for our sport."

For decades, Lafleur — nicknamed "The Flower" — scored seemingly with ease at all levels of hockey and grew into the role of one of the game's flashiest superstars. He often mesmerized fans with his signature long blond hair flowing behind him as he rushed up the ice before unleashing one of his patented booming slapshots.

By his 10th birthday, there were already signs that Lafleur was a generational talent, skating circles around kids three years his senior at an international peewee hockey tournament in Quebec City.

Lafleur played junior hockey for the Quebec Jr. Aces and Quebec Remparts. He amassed a staggering 465 points in two seasons and two playoffs with the Remparts, leading the team to the Memorial Cup title in 1971.

That year, Lafleur set the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League regular-season record of 130 goals, which was eclipsed by another French hockey prodigy, Mario Lemieux (133), in the 1983-84 campaign.

Same.   Some of my earliest sports memories are watching the late 70’s Canadians and Leafs teams on HNiC on channel 9.  Mesmerized by Guy Lafleur’s hair and Borje Salming’s name 

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Same.   Some of my earliest sports memories are watching the late 70’s Canadians and Leafs teams on HNiC on channel 9.  Mesmerized by Guy Lafleur’s hair and Borje Salming’s name 

This my favourite ever non-Red Wings NHL highlight. 3-time defending Cup champs were under 2 minutes from elimination in 1979 until …

1 hour ago, slothfacekilla said:

RIP Guy.

I'm not sure what Bultman is watching with Soderblom's skating versus Rasmussen but I have to vehemently disagree with his take.

i read that and wondered what he was talking about.  from soderblom's highlights he looks like he skates better than ras.  but bultman went there to watch him in person so maybe he knows better?

or maybe he's just being nice to ras?

i'd echo the ras strength criticism.  for someone so big he gets knocked down or off the puck really easily.

20 minutes ago, buddha said:

i read that and wondered what he was talking about.  from soderblom's highlights he looks like he skates better than ras.  but bultman went there to watch him in person so maybe he knows better?

i'd echo the ras strength criticism.  for someone so big he gets knocked down or off the puck really easily.

at 23 we can hope Ras still has some strength to gain. He has been improving some. Not everyone reaches their full adult strength as young as a Seider clearly has 💥

Edited by gehringer_2

41 minutes ago, buddha said:

I hunted this down to one of his mailbags I think it was, agreed with Max's take that Elmer is going to be a better offensive player but Ras will contribute in a lot of other ways.  I still find it odd that he says Rasmussen is faster than Elmer.  Elmer has better edge work for sure, but I feel like he's also deceptively fast with his size.  I thought that showed up a bit yesterday in the little Frolunda I saw.  Rasmussen skates around like a Frankenstein monster to me so it is weird my take is so different from Bultman's...but I imagine he knows a lot more than me!

Sebastian Cossa (Edmonton Oil Kings): A first-round pick of the Detroit Red Wings in the 2021 NHL Draft, Cossa finished third among WHL goaltenders in wins (33), shutouts (six) and goals-against average (2.28) during the 2021-22 Regular Season. The 6-foot-6, 215-pound product of Fort McMurray, Alta. made 46 appearances for the Central Division Champion Oil Kings, suffering just nine regulation defeats. The 19-year-old has a career 71-16-4-3 record in 98 regular season WHL games, all with Edmonton, to go along with a 2.12 goals-against average, .921 save percentage and 14 shutouts.

https://whl.ca/article/whl-names-division-nominees-for-del-wilson-memorial-trophy

3 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I can’t believe Buffalo and maybe Ottawa are going to finish ahead of the Wings. The Wings were actually respectable until February, collapse after that. 

not just "collapse" but total collapse.  11 goals..10 goals...7 goals...a complete and utter disaster on defense.

On 4/22/2022 at 10:49 AM, lordstanley said:

I don't think anyone seemed cooler or more exciting to me in the late '70s NHL than Guy Lafleur

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/guy-lafleur-obituary-1.5766441

Montreal Canadiens icon Guy Lafleur, who captured five Stanley Cup titles and was a hockey hero in Quebec long before his NHL playing days, has died. He was 70.

The cause of death was not immediately known. However, Lafleur suffered through health issues in the latter stages of his life. In September 2019, he underwent quadruple bypass heart surgery, which was followed by lung surgery two months later.

Then, in October of 2020, he endured a recurrence of lung cancer.

"We are deeply saddened to learn of the death of Guy Lafleur. All members of the Canadiens organization are devastated by his passing," Canadiens President Geoff Molson said in a statement.

"Guy Lafleur had an exceptional career and always remained simple, accessible, and close to the Habs and hockey fans in Quebec, Canada and around the world. Throughout his career, he allowed us to experience great moments of collective pride. He was one of the greatest players in our organization while becoming an extraordinary ambassador for our sport."

For decades, Lafleur — nicknamed "The Flower" — scored seemingly with ease at all levels of hockey and grew into the role of one of the game's flashiest superstars. He often mesmerized fans with his signature long blond hair flowing behind him as he rushed up the ice before unleashing one of his patented booming slapshots.

By his 10th birthday, there were already signs that Lafleur was a generational talent, skating circles around kids three years his senior at an international peewee hockey tournament in Quebec City.

Lafleur played junior hockey for the Quebec Jr. Aces and Quebec Remparts. He amassed a staggering 465 points in two seasons and two playoffs with the Remparts, leading the team to the Memorial Cup title in 1971.

That year, Lafleur set the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League regular-season record of 130 goals, which was eclipsed by another French hockey prodigy, Mario Lemieux (133), in the 1983-84 campaign.

fuckin' cigarettes, man.   glad I hated them so much as a kid that I never tried them as an adult.   70's not that old.  Dude was such a legend.