2021/22 Regular Season Thread

Is this a good year for a trade up to, or near, the top? Say top 4 gets us one of Wright, Cooley, or Savoie... Do we want only one of the top two or can we live with a smaller Savoie? Can we get him at #6? Or should we push for a top 3 pick to get most likely Cooley...? 

What would the cost be?

For the #1 pick (Wright)? The #3 pick (Colley)? The # 5 or 6 pick (Savoie)?

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

IE: Is it worth it to trade this and next year's 1st rounder to get up to the #1 pick?

I would say no but I also don't know these prospects that well.  I would hope that the Wings could get two quality players with those picks + whatever else they would need to give up for the one pick.

I would be interested in Kasper out of Rogle with this 8th pick overall. 

6 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Is this a good year for a trade up to, or near, the top? Say top 4 gets us one of Wright, Cooley, or Savoie... Do we want only one of the top two or can we live with a smaller Savoie? Can we get him at #6? Or should we push for a top 3 pick to get most likely Cooley...? 

What would the cost be?

For the #1 pick (Wright)? The #3 pick (Colley)? The # 5 or 6 pick (Savoie)?

Noooo, there's no great differential at the top. They'll get a good player at 8.

Well... here's my thinking:

1) I believe we're in the "team-building" phase right now, not just the "draft any kind talent we can get our hands on because we have nothing in the NHL or in the farm system" phase... I think Stevie Y has gotten us past the bereft-of-talent stage we were in. Accordingly, IMO, it is more important to add a "key" player rather than a couple really good players. And I get that there's no generational talent or huge separation amongst the top prospects this year... But I believe that a 2nd-line Center is enough of an overwhelming need that we should take that chance.

2) Steve Yzerman. He has balls of steel.

3) I am hoping, along with everyone else in here... and Stevie Y, and whomever our new Head Coach will be... that we actually start playing better... like "in the playoffs next year" better. Our future 1st rounders should start being in the mid-draft to playoff seeded draft spots... hopefully starting next year. The value of a Wright or Cooley.. both extremely dangerous Centers... again, IMO, is more valuable than the 8th guy this year and the 15th guy next year.

4) We're going to have a rush of new prospects coming up this year and next, the timing is right to add key skills.

5) OK.. our D sucks. But referencing #4 above, several of those key youngsters coming up are Defenseman. I want a top 6 Center coming up as soon as possible.

That's Wright or Cooley. I want one of them. And I am perfectly fine with Yzerman making a deal to get one of them. If it costs less than (2) 1sts... all the better.

12 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Well... here's my thinking:

1) I believe we're in the "team-building" phase right now, not just the "draft any kind talent we can get our hands on because we have nothing in the NHL or in the farm system" phase... I think Stevie Y has gotten us past the bereft-of-talent stage we were in. Accordingly, IMO, it is more important to add a "key" player rather than a couple really good players. And I get that there's no generational talent or huge separation amongst the top prospects this year... But I believe that a 2nd-line Center is enough of an overwhelming need that we should take that chance.

2) Steve Yzerman. He has balls of steel.

3) I am hoping, along with everyone else in here... and Stevie Y, and whomever our new Head Coach will be... that we actually start playing better... like "in the playoffs next year" better. Our future 1st rounders should start being in the mid-draft to playoff seeded draft spots... hopefully starting next year. The value of a Wright or Cooley.. both extremely dangerous Centers... again, IMO, is more valuable than the 8th guy this year and the 15th guy next year.

4) We're going to have a rush of new prospects coming up this year and next, the timing is right to add key skills.

5) OK.. our D sucks. But referencing #4 above, several of those key youngsters coming up are Defenseman. I want a top 6 Center coming up as soon as possible.

That's Wright or Cooley. I want one of them. And I am perfectly fine with Yzerman making a deal to get one of them. If it costs less than (2) 1sts... all the better.

Disagree with a couple of things:

1. Wings aren't desperate for a top center, they need everything, prospectwise.

2. In no draft should you draft for need, take the highest graded players, and the more bullets you have the better. 

3. Cooley and Wright are not the only two promising centers in the draft. These are 17 and 18 yo and the grades between these two and others are not excessive. The grades will change a lot over the next few years.

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

Disagree with a couple of things:

1. Wings aren't desperate for a top center, they need everything, prospectwise.

2. In no draft should you draft for need, take the highest graded players, and the more bullets you have the better. 

3. Cooley and Wright are not the only two promising centers in the draft. These are 17 and 18 yo and the grades between these two and others are not excessive. The grades will change a lot over the next few years.

neither cooley or wright are at the level of mackinnon or crosby or any of the other "franchise altering" players.  so there's no reason to give up assets to get them.

that's next year.  and you can be sure it wont be detroit that gets one of them.

i wouldnt be surprised if detroit took another defenseman this year.  

its unfortunate, but this team is still so far away from contending that they should take the best player on their board.  now, if there is little difference on their board between a left handed d man and a center, then take the center.  but if they think there is a star d man there, they should probably take him.