2021/22 Regular Season Thread

44 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Offensively they are just a useless group once you get past the 1st line, which on most teams would actually be a good 2nd line. 

that's another thing.  Their best line would be a second line on a stanley cup contender.

they desperately need some lottery luck this year.  there are a lot of good centers available at the top of this draft.

28 minutes ago, buddha said:

the one thing they have going for them is salary cap flexibility and steve yzerman's ability to acquire talent.

theyre going to have to remake 1/2 their defense next season.  not sure there is anyone in the minors ready to help.  do they bring back hronek one more time just because there isnt anything else available?

So we assume Edvinnsson as one. McIssaac is at GR  and at least he is finally playing regularly - so maybe some hope on that front if his shoulder holds together. Two guys can make a big difference on D. Look at how much difference Seider has made by himself.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

So we assume Edvinnsson as one. McIssaac is at GR  and at least he is finally playing regularly - so maybe some hope on that front if his shoulder holds together. Two guys can make a big difference on D. Look at how much difference Seider has made by himself.

i think edvinsson is going to be the 6'6 paul coffey.  dude can skate and play.  i think with seider and edvinsson their top line defense is set for the next decade.  victor hedman and chris pronger.

now, can we get steve yzerman to draft us a steve yzerman?  that's what they need out of this draft.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

When you don't have guys that can't pass accurately or carry the puck past at least one defender, that's where you end up. And of course dump and chase is pointless when you don't have the speed to get there first. Offensively they are just a useless group once you get past the 1st line, which on most teams would actually be a good 2nd line. Veleno and Zadina have no more than 3rd line potential. They need to upgrade probably 6 (OK, 5 if Vrana is 1) forwards and a couple more D to be any definition of a good team. As much as it gets frustrating and you start to focus on Blashill, the truth is you watch the games and you see that even when they win, player by player the other team is putting faster more skilled players on the ice, and that makes me reconsider if there is any point to dumping on Blashill.

If Blashill makes no difference then why not try something different for the rest of the season to change it up.   It can’t hurt you and maybe it helps them learn something about the players that can help down the road.  

The team has 2 players that are undeniably among the best players under 21 in the league.   Both have superstar potential.   Now they have backed up the hype with their play at this level,  I’m sure Stevie will start incorporating what’s best for their personal development into the equation.  That alone should probably dictate what to do with Blashill.  

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

If Blashill makes no difference then why not try something different for the rest of the season to change it up.   It can’t hurt you and maybe it helps them learn something about the players that can help down the road.  

Could be. I'm not wed to Blashill at all. I do think that the NHL has a lot of bad coaches that keep hanging around because the old boy network is so strong in the NHL and that's the downside risk. Now, to be fair, I can't see Yzerman being the kind of GM that's going to bring in some neanderthal because he's an old buddy. OTOH, I think he is the kind of GM who he if had already seen a really promising coach become available would have already pulled that trigger. So despite the frustrations of individual games, Blash isn't so big issue for me either way.

i think blashill is a better developmental coach than many give him credit for.  

i think he's been given chicken shit for his entire career until now and has been unable to turn it into chicken salad.  that doesnt make him a bad cook, it just means he isnt a miracle worker.

i also dont think stevie wants to saddle a new coach with a talentless bunch that is doomed to failure.  let blashill continue to work with them and see if he can make improvements.  and then find a new coach to take them to the next level.

yzerman is nobody's fool.  once he thinks blashill has outlived his usefulness, he'll let him go.  its possible yzerman thinks he's doing a good job.  

5 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

The disquieting thing about Zadina is the talk that his mental approach is an issue...that he loses confidence and presses when things get tough.  What do you do with that?

Rasmussen shouldn't be playing C. His skating has improved, but I think the game is too fast for him as a C.  Let him run up and down a wing for a year and see what you have.   

One thing about Raz, though, is that he does seem to create a little havoc around the net,  much like Holmstrom in his first couple years, when he didn't get a lot of points.   If the Wings have a couple more snipers (free agents in the next year or two)I think he makes a decent impact.  

16 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

One thing about Raz, though, is that he does seem to create a little havoc around the net,  much like Holmstrom in his first couple years, when he didn't get a lot of points.   If the Wings have a couple more snipers (free agents in the next year or two)I think he makes a decent impact.  

I actually think Raz might end up having a longer stint with the Wings in terms of seasons than Zadina. 

9 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I actually think Raz might end up having a longer stint with the Wings in terms of seasons than Zadina. 

they're both not very good, so its not a big deal either way.

i actually think ras doesnt use his body very well and doesnt get to the net enough.  he should be parking himself in front of the net a la holmstrom but he doesnt really do it.  now, that could be because when he's on the ice the wings dont have the puck all that much.  but that's partly his fault too.

he should be a mainstay on pp2, helping to screen the goalie.  the fact that he's not is because he isnt good at it.

again, he's still young, but that excuse is running out 

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

they're both not very good, so its not a big deal either way.

i

Right, look how easy it is to pick up players like Fabbri or Suter or Namestikov, no great shakes who are always available any offseason. 
if Rasmussen or Zadina don’t prove within the next 12 months or so that they are more than dime a dozen players, they can be cut loose. Yzerman never drafted them so wont be married to them. 

15 hours ago, buddha said:

can he play?  or is he like his brother, big strong and not much skill.

I'm pretty sure he has just been an energy grinder/bottom six type his whole career.  I don't think he fights though.  Had 11 points in 46 games for Dallas back in 17/18 and that has been his highest output.  Guessing another body for the bottom six when Blashill wants to scratch Zadina.

Rumors of Zadina for Erik Brannstrom trade being floated out there, I'm guessing it is just writers talking about what makes sense since Ottawa seems to hate Brannstrom now too.  I don't think I would make this specific trade (and I don't think Yzerman seems to like defensemen like Brannstrom) but I do think Zadina needs a new start somewhere else.

45 minutes ago, buddha said:

zadina seems snakebit.  nothing goes in for him.  if he were playing with larkin as raymond is, would it make a difference?

I truly think he could be better with better linemates, I would love to see him on a line with Bertuzzi and see if that gets him going a little bit.  Is it a sure thing? Far from it.  But I would like to try it.

7 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

I truly think he could be better with better linemates, I would love to see him on a line with Bertuzzi and see if that gets him going a little bit.  Is it a sure thing? Far from it.  But I would like to try it.

My doubts are about his processing speed. He seems to have skills but he is too often too late for them to be profitably applied.

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

My doubts are about his processing speed. He seems to have skills but he is too often too late for them to be profitably applied.

I actually think he's gotten better at this over the last few games.  Specifically he made a nice quick decision on a backhand pass to Bert down at the goal line on a power play that led to a goal.  I think it is in there somewhere he's just a headcase and not skilled enough to overcome his bad luck.