2021/22 Regular Season Thread

18 minutes ago, buddha said:

holland is the main reason we're soooooooooooo far behind in our rebuild.

that thread didnt get into their horrible drafts either.  go back and look at the post larkin/bert drafts.  it will make you cringe.

poor tater is going to have a whole nother aneurysm if he reads this. 

I can understand call the agent for Evander Kane, but WHY WOULD YOU TELL PEOPLE THAT?     Horrible human being, and he might be in jail soon. 

50 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I can understand call the agent for Evander Kane, but WHY WOULD YOU TELL PEOPLE THAT?     Horrible human being, and he might be in jail soon. 

kane's agent probably told people that to make it seem like there's interest in him.

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I think they beat Buffalo on Saturday so it will be moot.  

Either way the guy is a stiff.   Should be coaching college, which is where I think he ends up once he’s done and never gets another NHL job.   

The team seems to be overachieving this season.  By a lot of accounts they are ahead of schedule.   I don't think Blashill's a problem because I don't thin there is a problem, the team is doing alright,  this offseason is going to be huge, but I don't see where there needs to be any kind of blame. 

28 minutes ago, buddha said:

coach larinov will be here when the wings are ready to open up and skate with other nhl clubs.  two years from now if the rebuild stays on track.

Nice thought. It would be nice if there was some kind of guarantee that Igor the coach could make the Wings play like Igor the player did- it’s exactly what they need. 

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The team seems to be overachieving this season.  By a lot of accounts they are ahead of schedule.   I don't think Blashill's a problem because I don't thin there is a problem, the team is doing alright,  this offseason is going to be huge, but I don't see where there needs to be any kind of blame. 

They are starting to take on water quickly.   That -24 goal differential is ugly.  I think everyone agrees he’s a placeholder under they can compete for the playoffs, which should be next year, but there is an outside shot at this season if they can right the ship quickly.  A new man at top may be the adrenaline fix these guys in the hunt for the last spot. 

20 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

They are starting to take on water quickly.   That -24 goal differential is ugly.  I think everyone agrees he’s a placeholder under they can compete for the playoffs, which should be next year, but there is an outside shot at this season if they can right the ship quickly.  A new man at top may be the adrenaline fix these guys in the hunt for the last spot. 

They also haven't had a complete lineup for awhile.  They don't have much depth, so when stars like Vrana, Bertuzzi and Larkin miss time it really hurts them.  

i dont know if they'll be a playoff contender next year.  the year after is when they should be in the mix for the playoffs.  they have a long, long way to go and a huge hole to dig out of.

but you never know.  if vrana can come back, edvinsson is as good as seider has been, and raymond can continue what he did at the beginning of the year then maybe.

but what they have now is a good (not great) top line, an ok top 2 defensive pairing (seider is good, leddy has been ok), and then a huge drop off.

hronek is bad.  dekyser is bad.  staal has been getting bad lately.  lindstrom and oesterle are bottom of the rotation guys.

on the front line they have an entire team full of bottom six role players.  ras, veleno, zadina, suter, fabbri.  these are ALL bottom six guys.  they can fill a role.  they can plug in and be good soldiers.  but that's all they are and all they look like they will be.

they need an entire second line of players.  maybe they get that when vrana comes back and either joins line 2 or pushes raymond down, but they desperately need another good center.

do they get lottery luck and end up with wright?  if not, do they spend on a top line 2 center free agent like hertl (who abused them in sharks games the last two times they played)?

i dont see either happening and yzerman continues to patiently build more depth.

after NEXT season i expect them to make some moves and go for it.

50 minutes ago, buddha said:

hronek is bad.  dekyser is bad.  staal has been getting bad lately.  lindstrom and oesterle are bottom of the rotation guys.

Part of this is that Seider is good enough that everyone else back there is looking even worse by comparison. No argument Hronek has a problem, his skating just seems in the toilet, they all pass him like he's standing still. But it's also true that some of the forwards are so bad defensively that guys on the blue line don't get much help and I think that makes them look even worse than they are. 

After Larkin, Seider and Raymond, the Wings are a poor skating team and so they are going to look terrible anytime they play a team with better than average speed. They also play pretty soft physically so that means they get pushed around a lot by teams that play a hard edged style. That doesn't leave a lot a teams they can beat on a given night.

Edited by gehringer_2

I’m not sure what to think of Larkin’s ceiling  anymore.  I don’t think he’s reached his potential and he’s seemed to have plateaued a bit.  Not blaming Blashill but Larkin has had him as coach  pretty much his entire time in the league and I think would benefit from a change.   The same for  Raymond who has even bigger potential and hopefully won’t have the same ups and downs as Larkin.  

Edited by Hongbit

I can't wait for Blashill to be gone or at least for him to be forced into playing actual hockey with a stronger roster.  Watching the Wings dump and chase on a 5 on 3 power play the other night and play the trap when down big against the Kings was infuriating.  Crazy how their power play is once again buttcheeks with them doing the dumb drop passes in the neutral zone that he seems to love.  No matter who the power play coach is it always seems to revert back to this bs.  They even shuffled players around and now their handedness seems to take away potential passing and shooting lanes on their power play by design.  Then we have to listen to him after every game talking about how the team wasn't ready to go.  Longest tenured coach in the NHL with nothing to show for it.  Team routinely starts late and can't win on the road.  Barely ever seem to steal games.  The roster isn't great but what exactly is he doing here?

i dont think blashill is here for the long haul, but i dont think he'll get fired mid-season.  yzerman must think he improves guys and makes them better or else he would have fired him earlier.

i think blashill will go when yzerman thinks the team is ready to take the next step and transition away from ultra defensive hockey to more of an open system.  basically when they have enough skill players to compete night after night.

they dont have that yet.  maybe next year?  probably in two years, assuming everyone stays healthy and continues to develop (which is not always a given).

14 minutes ago, buddha said:

i dont think blashill is here for the long haul, but i dont think he'll get fired mid-season.  yzerman must think he improves guys and makes them better or else he would have fired him earlier.

i think blashill will go when yzerman thinks the team is ready to take the next step and transition away from ultra defensive hockey to more of an open system.  basically when they have enough skill players to compete night after night.

they dont have that yet.  maybe next year?  probably in two years, assuming everyone stays healthy and continues to develop (which is not always a given).

Ken Holland would have fired him by now.  :ducks:

1 hour ago, slothfacekilla said:

I can't wait for Blashill to be gone or at least for him to be forced into playing actual hockey with a stronger roster.  Watching the Wings dump and chase on a 5 on 3 power play the other night and play the trap when down big against the Kings was infuriating.  Crazy how their power play is once again buttcheeks with them doing the dumb drop passes in the neutral zone that he seems to love.  No matter who the power play coach is it always seems to revert back to this bs.  They even shuffled players around and now their handedness seems to take away potential passing and shooting lanes on their power play by design.  Then we have to listen to him after every game talking about how the team wasn't ready to go.  Longest tenured coach in the NHL with nothing to show for it.  Team routinely starts late and can't win on the road.  Barely ever seem to steal games.  The roster isn't great but what exactly is he doing here?

When you don't have guys that can't pass accurately or carry the puck past at least one defender, that's where you end up. And of course dump and chase is pointless when you don't have the speed to get there first. Offensively they are just a useless group once you get past the 1st line, which on most teams would actually be a good 2nd line. Veleno and Zadina have no more than 3rd line potential. They need to upgrade probably 6 (OK, 5 if Vrana is 1) forwards and a couple more D to be any definition of a good team. As much as it gets frustrating and you start to focus on Blashill, the truth is you watch the games and you see that even when they win, player by player the other team is putting faster more skilled players on the ice, and that makes me reconsider if there is any point to dumping on Blashill.

Edited by gehringer_2

the one thing they have going for them is salary cap flexibility and steve yzerman's ability to acquire talent.

theyre going to have to remake 1/2 their defense next season.  not sure there is anyone in the minors ready to help.  do they bring back hronek one more time just because there isnt anything else available?

The disquieting thing about Zadina is the talk that his mental approach is an issue...that he loses confidence and presses when things get tough.  What do you do with that?

Rasmussen shouldn't be playing C. His skating has improved, but I think the game is too fast for him as a C.  Let him run up and down a wing for a year and see what you have.   

2 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Rasmussen shouldn't be playing C. His skating has improved, but I think the game is too fast for him as a C.  Let him run up and down a wing for a year and see what you have.   

Probably true, but in the kingdom of the blind the one-eyed man is king. They don't have better skaters to put at Center.