2023 NFL Draft As-It-Happens

11 hours ago, sagnam said:

I think it’s interesting because usually a player has a rough idea of when he’ll be drafted, and when they are wrong it’s because the agent was overselling.  He was surprised.  Not saying it’s a reach, just saying that’s not something that commonly happens.

An added element is that he was the second to last regular selection of the second day, and 6th or 7th to last selection overall on the second day. Regardless of where you think you're going to go, when pick #95 comes and goes, and you still haven't been selected, it was probably fair for him to expect at that point that it was more likely he goes in the four rounds happening Saturday than in the next five or so picks happening Friday.

I also don't think the comment really helps anyone, and he probably shouldn't have made it. It's just going to be used against him and the regime if he doesn't come out of the gate like a 3rd round pick, so why say it? Give a nondescript nothing-burger of an answer like you're taught and move on.

6 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

An added element is that he was the second to last regular selection of the second day, and 6th or 7th to last selection overall on the second day. Regardless of where you think you're going to go, when pick #95 comes and goes, and you still haven't been selected, it was probably fair for him to expect at that point that it was more likely he goes in the four rounds happening Saturday than in the next five or so picks happening Friday.

I also don't think the comment really helps anyone, and he probably shouldn't have made it. It's just going to be used against him and the regime if he doesn't come out of the gate like a 3rd round pick, so why say it? Give a nondescript nothing-burger of an answer like you're taught and move on.

No need to be robotic. I like the candidacy. It’s not that serious. 

• 2 months later...

If you have a free 90 minutes, the latest Inside The Den on YouTube is out and it’s unreal.   Amazing insight on the picks and how the team viewed them.  Great work from the Lions media team.  

Spoiler: They viewed this as a weak draft.  They only had 14 players with first round grades and they ended up with 4 of them.  

• Like 2