2023 NFL Draft As-It-Happens

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

He looks like someone you might take a 7th round flyer on, but Holmes likes him, really, really, likes him. Targeted him. Sees him at least as one of the top 70 players in the draft. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Same with Sorsdal.

If he makes the team, Martin would end up being one of the 15-20 biggest players in the NFL. And Holmes seems to believe he has unusual athleticism for his size.

It seems like Holmes paid too much and drafted him too soon, but he’s filling roles now, not gaping holes. No need to take fliers on sixth rounders who are going to get cut. 

2 hours ago, Longgone said:

I understand this thinking, but Detroit isn't that deep yet. Injuries are a reality and competition is the lifeblood of the NFL.

They kind of are though. The place where they have the least depth is DT. So they got a DT. 

McShay has us picking 22nd in his way too early 2024 Mock. Philly, SF and Dallas are the NFC teams picking after us so apparently that projection system has us winning the division also. It did have Minny picking 21 so going by that one atleast it expects a close race between us two with both making the playoffs.

BTW he has us drafting Texas WR Xavier Worthy. Had Minny picking JJ McCarthy with the 21st pick which caught my eye, didn't know he was viewed that highly among some of the scouting circles. Had him going higher than Penix and Nix. 

11 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Obviously assuming that this is true... that's horribly, horribly unprofessional. I mean it's fine to think that and it's fine if you want to use that as a reason to not pursue a guy... heck, it's fine to try to cut an interview short if you've decided this isn't your guy (I've been in a few interview processes where we did this... after the first few questions you're like: Yeah, this person isn't who we want... let's just skip through like half the prepared questions...). But you don't say that to the guy's face. Very rude and dumb.

I would like to know the contexr to the quote, like if Skor was so professional and answered everything elegantly maybe Smith was saying it in kinda a joking manner. Like how people used to jokingly say Tim Duncan was boring cause of how professional , quiet he went about his business and how easy he made it look. Idk just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt cause I find it hard to believe he would be that upfront to a prospect if he meant it in a deragotry way. 

smith doesnt have the best reputation already.

i have a hard time putting these guys in the same bucket as a normal business interview or normal business relationship.  football is a sport and emotional and physical.  this isnt an office job interview.

24 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

In 2022 Detroit produced the 3rd most NFL players at 16 only trailing Miami and Houston at 19. Considering those cities often get players from other states to come play High School there it makes the Detroit number even more impressive. 

2 hours ago, buddha said:

smith doesnt have the best reputation already.

i have a hard time putting these guys in the same bucket as a normal business interview or normal business relationship.  football is a sport and emotional and physical.  this isnt an office job interview.

the value of the face to face interview is the most overrated piece of social theory invention of the modern era. It's a relevant predictor for maybe 10% of the places it's used. But it plays so well the the ego massage needs of managers it will never go away. 

Especially in sport. I mean WTF -  do you suppose Ted Williams was ever a good interview?

Edited by gehringer_2

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I like reading these future mocks just to see where they have the Lions drafting and they have the Lions drafting 29th. That would be an NFC Championship game appearance. 

Yeah I have been doing that too, out of the handful or so that Ive seen this one would be the latest I seen with the earliest being 22. All of them had the Lions as the last North team. 

Recent history tells us that 3 or 4 QB will be taken in the top 10 to 15 picks in almost every draft.   This one appears very deep at high end prospects and these early mocks still have just 2 QB’s going high.   They will never learn.