Investing

Motown Bombers

48 minutes ago, oblong said:

Yep.  Same here in Detroit.  And from what I hear it's very cheap quality.  Everything's empty but they keep building shit.

Some guy bought the old Hyatt building in Dearborn and says it's going to be "mixed use". Condos/retail, etc.  Fairlane Mall can't keep occupancy.  Another local developer bought a Ford building nearby and that's also his plan.  Who am I to tell someone who spent $20M on something that they don't know what they are doing but.... I'd bet $50 it's not a success.

Depends how you define “success”, right?

2 hours ago, Screwball said:

Contractor quotes a house for X, over time while being built, cost go up 20 percent.  Quote price of X now only covers the cost and ate all the profit.  What kind of protection does the contractor have?

How it works around here is that the contractor just brazenly tells the prospective homeowner that they need to put up another $100,000 or else the deal is off and the deposit is returned.  Our Conservative government is "looking into it".

3 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

How it works around here is that the contractor just brazenly tells the prospective homeowner that they need to put up another $100,000 or else the deal is off and the deposit is returned.  Our Conservative government is "looking into it".

What if they can't?

2 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Interesting read on this thread..... 

That's funny.  I'm old enough to remember when the swine fucking bankers blew up the world back in 08/09. Congress brought all these evil CEO's to congress to make things right (after they bailed their criminal asses out) for the destruction they caused.  I watched almost every single hearing. It was so puke worthy it would run the satire people out of business.

Some of it was pretty good (SIGTARP/Borofsky stuff) but in aggregate - a clown show.

When you study the Enron stuff, they called themselves the "smartest guys in the room" and they were (except some of them actually went to jail). Jeff Skilling should be on the Mt. Rushmore of financial criminals, but he should also be there for his innovation on how to create and lever money out of nothing.  The blueprint for swindling the system.

The bankers vs. the congress people is truly David and Goliath. The market guys are the smartest guys in the room, and it's not even close.  Wall Street pays buy side analysts multiple times more money than the CEO's of the companies (and sector/industry) they cover.

As George would say "it's a big club and you ain't in it."

13 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Fascinating read.

The lawyer who took over FTX when they filed bankruptcy said he has never seen a bigger mess in his entire career.  And he is the guy that took over Enron when they filed for bankruptcy.  

They Lived Together, Worked Together and Lost Billions Together: Inside Sam Bankman-Fried’s Doomed FTX Empire

I have heard that it was so disorganized there, no one could produce a complete list of employees.

53 minutes ago, Screwball said:

and there is energy (crude) shit going on too.  WTI under 80, the OPEC jawboning. 

When they announced the cut back I said wait and see how close they actually come to reducing supply. OPEC fails more often than they succeed in getting members to follow through after announcements about production cuts.

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

ft …

read another story the other day that because of the basic drugery, plus policies like this, young chinese won't take factory jobs and industrial suppliers are struggling with a greying work force that is losing the ability to handle what are still in many cases, jobs that require physical strength and endurance. The demographics of factory employees skews even older than the rest of China's aging pop. The gov is in a quandry because if wages go up enough to bring the needed workers in, China's industrial competitive advantage gets frittered away.

LOL - Welcome to the 1st world, sucker.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I’m not so sure that China is so First World that they will be able to avoid the temptation to use bound labor. I’m even not so sure they’re avoiding that option right now.

I guess that's just part of the contradiction of China. They are reaching the point where trying to have it both ways is stressing the system. That and the increasing rigidity that Xi has brought into play. China's continuing political imperative over science approach to COVID is such a total repudiation of 40 yrs of work to become a techological, scientific power. It reminds me of nothing so much as Stalin's suppression of modern genetics and geneticists because Lamarkism was a better fit with his political ideology.

Edited by gehringer_2

10 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Am I wrong for thinking a journalist and news organization should not be offering something like this?

soqhfstw9k1a1.jpg

I'm trying to find the journalist in this.  🙂  This isn't a news organization either.  It is a propaganda machine.

Buy hey, if people are dumb enough to give money to Cramer, they deserve to lose it.