05/21/2023 1:35pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Washington Nationals

casimir

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

One thing keeping me tuned in is remembering that these are the Washington Nationals, so on a list of all the teams that could choke up a five-run lead to lose a game, the ex-Expos is near the top of it.

I mean in all fairness, these Tigers are also at the top of that list.

30 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Bases loaded, no out, no score. Jumpin' Jeebus.

that is why I'd rather have 9 ML average players than 5 good ones and 4 bad ones. Not that the Tigers even have 5 good ones, but philosophically I'm not a fan of chasing batting stars to build a lineup - just save me from the automatic outs. Work hardest to improve the worst guy in the lineup, I don't think spending the effort at top end pays off as much.

Edited by gehringer_2

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

that is why I'd rather have 9 ML average players than 5 good ones and 4 bad ones. Not that the Tigers even have 5 good ones, but philosophically I'm not a fan of chasing batting stars to build a lineup - just save me from the automatic outs. Work hardest to improve the worst guy in the lineup, I don't think spending the effort at top end pays off as much.

The Dombrowski winners were all stars-and-scrubs teams, to your point. But also as you imply, we are a long way from having anything like nine average big league players.

So, OK, we are within a slam, but also, we have guys who are still champing at the bit to be the instant hero who ties the game or puts us in the lead with one swing. But again, we are closer. That's something.

Edited by chasfh

12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The Dombrowski winners were all stars-and-scrubs teams, to your point. But also as you imply, we are a long way from having anything like nine average big league players.

If you squint there might be the beginnings of some relilable guys in there. Of these team, I'm good with Baez, Greene, Tork, McKinstry; and Baddoo is turning into a decent OBP guy. The rest (Maton, Ibanez, Vierling, Haase, Rogers ) are all big question marks to me.