05/21/2023 1:35pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Washington Nationals

casimir

11 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Candelario has a chance at Player of the Week.

He wasn't good enough for the Tigers. Just think of all the money we're saving. We would probably be in first place with him on the team. Maybe when Miggy's contract comes off the books we'll sign a couple quality players? Yeah, I don't think so either.

Wentz left in one batter too many. What I don't understand, or maybe don't know, is why does a manager leave a pitcher in too long in a winnable game to save the bullpen but once the game is lost by leaving him in too long immediately takes him out to burden the bullpen anyway? Why not take him out of a winnable game instead of a lost game ? Or once the starter has screwed the pooch then just leave him in to save the bullpen for tomorrow. What am I missing because every manager seems to do that. 

57 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

He wasn't good enough for the Tigers. Just think of all the money we're saving. We would probably be in first place with him on the team. Maybe when Miggy's contract comes off the books we'll sign a couple quality players? Yeah, I don't think so either.

He had a nice week, good for him.  A week ago he was having a really lousy year.  If Harris doesn't think he's worth 7 million that's good enough for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

He had a nice week, good for him.  A week ago he was having a really lousy year.  If Harris doesn't think he's worth 7 million that's good enough for me.

I wonder if he’d have been retained if he were more consistent?  Maybe not.  Take away some of the peaks and valleys and he’s still slightly below average as a hitter through last season.  And that isn’t helpful at a position where offense is traditionally expected and his defense isn’t likely to make up for it.

He seems like he’s going to be a year to year type of player going forward.  Maybe a two year deal max, maybe a one year with an option/vesting tacked onto it, but probably looking at one year deals.  Still not a bad way to make a living.

Weird game.  Washington cracks 18 hits, but only 6 runs.  Tigers had plenty of TTBDNSs.  They walked more than they struck out.  Baddoo had a good game at the plate, but a couple of issues in the field.

Mediocre team is mediocring right now.  Just when the schedule “got easy”, too.

5 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Well, as we all know by now, Jeimer Candelario is a notoriously streaky hitter whose streaks belie how bad he actually is. Why, if you remove all the games he didn't get hits, he's actually batting .000/.101/.000 in 69 plate appearances, which is way worse than even Maton. So, yeah, we're better off without him.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Well, as we all know by now, Jeimer Candelario is a notoriously streaky hitter whose streaks belie how bad he actually is. Why, if you remove all the games he didn't get hits, he's actually batting .000/.101/.000 in 69 plate appearances, which is way worse than even Maton. So, yeah, we're better off without him.

I would like to have both of them.  

• Like 1

I wanted Candy back just cause I thought he was our best chance of getting a potential elite bat at a reasonable cost since he was just that a season prior.

Despite that though I understood the rationale behind the move not to bring him back so I'm certainly not going to drag Harris over the coals for it.

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I wanted Candy back just cause I thought he was our best chance of getting a potential elite bat at a reasonable cost since he was just that a season prior.

Despite that though I understood the rationale behind the move not to bring him back so I'm certainly not going to drag Harris over the coals for it.

I would really like to know why they did let him go. Did they really think he was totally done at 29? Is he some sort of clubhouse cancer? Did they bow to pressure from fans and press? Did L’Ilitch decree he be gone? I wonder whether we’ll ever find out for sure.

17 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

that is why I'd rather have 9 ML average players than 5 good ones and 4 bad ones. Not that the Tigers even have 5 good ones, but philosophically I'm not a fan of chasing batting stars to build a lineup - just save me from the automatic outs. Work hardest to improve the worst guy in the lineup, I don't think spending the effort at top end pays off as much.

You can't build a team of nine average players though, because some of them will be bad in a given year.  If you have some stars, you petty much know they'll be at least good every year and you can build around them.  

54 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I would really like to know why they did let him go. Did they really think he was totally done at 29? Is he some sort of clubhouse cancer? Did they bow to pressure from fans and press? Did L’Ilitch decree he be gone? I wonder whether we’ll ever find out for sure.

$$$

Every Tiger up for a big payday will be gone. We'll have an endless supply of AAAA players. Make Chris a lot of money. Oh, BTW? Get your season tickets now to come out and watch the stars...from other teams.

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

$$$

Every Tiger up for a big payday will be gone. We'll have an endless supply of AAAA players. Make Chris a lot of money. Oh, BTW? Get your season tickets now to come out and watch the stars...from other teams.

I don’t know if it’s that cut and dried, since we did pay $10 million and $8 million to a couple of free agents, and overall payroll did nudge up a bit. But maybe there’s something to that.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

IMHO, maybe a combo of things: ex 1) payroll (if worth a raise). 2) Put those funds towards another player (a different dice roll). 3) He had been here for awhile and maybe brass decided best to 'change' (some pressure and perception of change to fans and press as mentioned earlier). 4) Maybe try to change the clubhouse culture as this team has been 'losing' for awhile now.

Players get too comfortable sometimes and a 'change' is often needed so a wake-up may take place... Jeimer is a decent player (though streaky), but maybe it was time for a change from both sides. Could always try to resign him later...  How does that FIRST resonate with each reader. Maybe that was part of the answer as well on how the team feels. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

You can't build a team of nine average players though, because some of them will be bad in a given year.  If you have some stars, you petty much know they'll be at least good every year and you can build around them.  

Yet stars don't get injured any less than scrubs and injuries create as much career inconsistency as anything. Stars may be more consistent when on the field but but being on the field may be the bigger challenge for the modern athlete trained to within an inch of his breaking point. You really can't count on any player any more.

Edited by gehringer_2

38 minutes ago, alex said:

IMHO, maybe a combo of things: ex 1) payroll (if worth a raise). 2) Put those funds towards another player (a different dice roll). 3) He had been here for awhile and maybe brass decided best to 'change' (some pressure and perception of change to fans and press as mentioned earlier). 4) Maybe try to change the clubhouse culture as this team has been 'losing' for awhile now.

Players get too comfortable sometimes and a 'change' is often needed so a wake-up may take place... Jeimer is a decent player (though streaky), but maybe it was time for a change from both sides. Could always try to resign him later...  How does that FIRST resonate with each reader. Maybe that was part of the answer as well on how the team feels. 

The thing with the Jeimer conversation is that, because of his status as a possible non-tender candidate, they kinda had to make the decision right then and there, way back in November. Before anything else had happened in the market basically. So it came with risk that moving on may not result in the most desirable outcome in terms of replacement.... 

We don't know the rationale for it, maybe Harris and / or Hinch just weren't fans of him deep down. And we don't know the degree to which the org did or didn't try to acquire certain guys to backfill the role once they made the decision to non-tender him. But I was fine with the decision at the time and the fact that he had a nice series against the Tigers doesn't really change any of that, to the extent that there was downside it was less about moving on and more about the replacement.

Jeimer is going to be over 30 by the time this team has the potential to be decent. The Tigers ineptitude and his own issues stunted his trajectory. There are consequences to tanking on purpose. Sometimes the rot of the team leaves certain players in the dust.

15 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Harris didn't think he was worth $7 million.  Period.  I don't see what the big mystery is.  And a week ago, on May 14, this conversation would not exist.  

He also was a short timer anyway... even if they tendered him, he would gone after this year regardless in all likelihood.

I'm happy he's doing well in Washington but I dont blame them for moving on

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

He also was a short timer anyway... even if they tendered him, he would gone after this year regardless in all likelihood.

I'm happy he's doing well in Washington but I dont blame them for moving on

pretty much.

That all said, he still goes to his right better than anyone they have put out there this season - well maybe excluding Kreidler, whom we hardly saw.

36 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Exactly. Even we who felt most that we should keep Jeimer Candelario knew he was never going to be on the next playoff team. It was more about getting good value for the money—yes, at $7MM—for a year while someone (like Malloy) percolates in Toledo and comes up once Jeimer were to bolt for the market. He was always going to be a one-year stopgap that would give you a few wins there this year.

If Jeimer puts up four or five wins this year, he's going to get multiple years on a signing from someone somewhere this winter. There are thirty teams out there, and not every one of them thinks he's streaky chopped liver. Just twenty-something of them do. 😁 In a way-too-early guess, a 4- or 5-win Jeimer Candelario might score something like 3/40 with an option from a team like the Rockies or Phillies—or even the Nationals. If he slows way down and gets two-something WAR or less, though, he'll probably get only a single year somewhere.

Edited by chasfh