Summer 2023 Off-Season Thread

On 6/3/2023 at 11:37 AM, lordstanley said:

Doesn’t surprise me. Babcock did a lot of bad things, but the narrative for that week of his firing that he was uniquely evil among coaches of his era  is probably untrue. 

I am surprised on one hand, but on the other hand the NHL is just an old boys' club that recycles the same coaches and GM's through all the vacancies no matter what.  Even outside of his actions being labeled beyond the pale by old school vets like Chris Chelios, the dude didn't have any real success in Toronto and the players in Detroit basically said they won their one cup with Mike in spite of him not because of him.  Detroit could never sign any real free agents because no one wanted to play under Babcock.  So I don't know why you bother with the public heat for an overrated coach, but it is the Blue Jackets (who also just acquired Provorov) so hopefully they just keep their same status as a nothing franchise under Babcock.

Edited by slothfacekilla

dubois puts in a trade request....again.  the only club that should trade for him is montreal.  speaking of which, if they dont want dubois, where does he go?  seems like he's painted himself into a corner.

also, what would you trade for debrincat?

PLD seems like such a high maintenance player.

I would do a similar deal to what Ottawa gave up to get him: 7th overall, 39th overall and a third round pick.  I have read that they're looking for a goalie and a package like the Eichel trade, so could maybe do something like first round pick, Cossa and a second round pick?  I'm not sure I'd want to give up Kasper since he's a center and I don't know if the Sens would ask for anyone else outside of Edvinsson, Wallinder and Mazur.  Maybe throw Mazur in there?  I just feel like it is going to be a lot.

1 hour ago, slothfacekilla said:

PLD seems like such a high maintenance player.

I would do a similar deal to what Ottawa gave up to get him: 7th overall, 39th overall and a third round pick.  I have read that they're looking for a goalie and a package like the Eichel trade, so could maybe do something like first round pick, Cossa and a second round pick?  I'm not sure I'd want to give up Kasper since he's a center and I don't know if the Sens would ask for anyone else outside of Edvinsson, Wallinder and Mazur.  Maybe throw Mazur in there?  I just feel like it is going to be a lot.

i wouldnt trade that much for debrincat.  i dont think there in a place where he moves the needle that much to give up all that.

i know they gave up a first and a second for him, but i would argue he's older, coming off a worse season, and is one year removed from being a ufa.  i think his value has decreased.

if youre the wings, what does signing him get you if you give up half the farm for him?  youre now the ottawa senators from this last season.  that's not much better than you were this season and youve given up half the farm to get there.

i'd start at #17 and #41.  the most i would do is #17 and the boston pick.  if ottawa doesnt want just picks, i might do cossa and #17.

i realize this probably wont get it done, but i would hate to see the wings give up their future just to finish in 6th rather than 7th.  unfortunately, i think this slog continues for at least one more year.

were going to have to be a 4 line team with no stars.  carolina west....or seattle east...

I'm not keen on giving up Cossa..we sunk a 1st rd pick and a couple of years into developing the big galoot into a legit prospect at a position with little depth in our system.   Agree that DeBrincat is older and closer to being a UFA and he also saw a 34% decline in goals last year.  I could see giving them #17 and some of the jillion 2nds we have...really mixed on giving them 9...maybe 17, the Boston pick and Carter Gylander...he's a goalie

Edited by Shinzaki

DeBrincat is also only 25, has scored 40 goals twice and was on a 40 goal pace in the covid season.  His "bad" season last year would have put him second in goals on the Wings (he would have comfortably been second in points too).  He also had the lowest PDO of his career last season and second lowest shooting percentage.  His possession numbers were still really strong so I would be shocked if he suddenly was over the hill at age 25.  I would love for the Wings to find ways to add some scoring because they desperately need it and young scorers just aren't available usually.  The Wings would definitely need to get an extension in place prior to the trade.

Friedman seems to think that Detroit is a potential destination but my guess is that no one knows and media are just throwing out logical destinations.  It would be great if Detroit could add some scoring talent to the team somehow.