Summer 2023 Off-Season Thread

8 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If we get Debrincat without having to give up a 1st I will be pleasantly surprised. I assumed a bidding war would start between 2-3-4 teams that he said he'd go to. But if not, and we really can get away with a trade that allows us to keep both 1sts, that's a steal for a60+ point producer and 30+ goal scorer.

I waded through the whole hour of Yzerman's presser and I only got a few things that may apply. One, he said several times he's basically not looking for players older than Larkin, so DeBrincat checks that box. Two, Goal scorers are hard to find - so check that box. Three, "young nucleus" is the paradigm. Four, he think it's a deep draft for fowards, Andm Five - (so) he values top picks.

So I'd agree it sounds like any player that he doesn't see as part of "Larkin plus the young nucleus" is on the table with any combination of non-1st round picks. If he can swing the deal on those terms I rate him being in. If it comes to a 1st then it's anyone's guess.

59 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I came here to post that I’m sure glad Yzerman didn’t value Newhook the way the Habs did. Montreal gave up #31 and #37 overall - is Newhook worth more than just on one of those picks?

Former first round pick/RFA so I guess young with some control but....he's been like a 30 point player so far in his career.  Seems like the Habs are really betting on him making a jump.

15 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So is this Winnipeg's way of doing a soft reset without tearing the whole thing down and having to trade Kyle Connor? 

I think the rumors have largely been that they're looking for roster players versus draft picks, so I think that's exactly what they're doing.

I have to say the Newhook and PLD trades are making me nervous for the ultimate DeBrincat cost.

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Most on this Twitter thread think the Kings overpaid too n

Aren't the 3 guys 3rd and 4th line guys?

That's like trading Veleno, Zadina, and maybe Rasmussen... And a 2nd...

Do that for DeBrincat?

I would say no only due to the upside of Ras. But swap out Ras for Mazur and I would say yes.

4 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Do that for DeBrincat?

I would say no only due to the upside of Ras. But swap out Ras for Mazur and I would say yes.

Villardi and Iafallo  are much better players than Veleno and Zadina.  Villardi alone had 41 points (23 goals) in 63 games as a 23 year old last season.  The Kings tend to spread their players out across their lines, I am pretty sure they ran Fiala on their third line a decent amount last season even.

A key reason that I would have wanted Dubois more than DeBrincat is because of the toughness issue.

I know we need offense. But I want both offense and playoff-level mental and physical toughness. It's a key need for the Wings.

I don't know why we weren't in on Dubois, I know DeBrincat is a Michigander but...

I gotcha on the Kings usage of those guys... overall a better package unless we are at least including Ras and maybe Berggren... I'm reluctant to include those two while we are still looking for their upside...

20 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Do that for DeBrincat?

I'm  curious whether Yzerman counts Ras as part of the nucleus he sees being built or just sees him as a transitional (and thus tradable) piece. I would guess yes but I could see it either way. Is he good enough now? Or does he just seem decent by comparison to a lot of substandard players around him? He was certainly improved last season but how much more upside does he have?

OTOH, I pretty much doubt Zadina or Veleno count in that list.

Edited by gehringer_2

My guess is that the Wings checked in on PLD and were told he had no interest in signing a long term deal with the Wings, he's a moody guy.  Asked for a trade in juniors, asked for a trade in Columbus and now wanted out of Winnipeg.  All I ever heard was he was going to end up in Motreal until the Kings did this.  Living in Manhattan Beach is a big draw I guess.

i'm not sure any of those trades - as well as the toffoli trade that just happened - impact the debrincat situation at all.  #17 and a zadina type should still be more than enough.

the kings are loaded with talent.  they can afford to give up those guys to get pld.  and winnipeg wants good players who can contribute now, the wings cant afford (and dont have) to give up those types of players and LA can because they are deeper and better.

that's the type of move the wings can make in two years when/if their young players start to develop, which is WHY YOU DONT SELL THE FARM FOR DEBRINCAT WHEN HE ONLY MAKES YOU A BORDERLINE 8TH SEED.

patience.  this was the worst organization in hockey just three years ago.  it takes time to dig out of ken holland's terrible drafts.

I am perfectly fine with more patience.

My 1st choice is to not even trade for DeBrincat.

My 2nd choice is, if the cost is not too high - and I think #17 plus Zadina fit within that definition - then I'm certainly OK with making that trade. But absolutely not at an overpay.

I would prefer to just have some more patience...

Edited by 1984Echoes