Summer 2023 Off-Season Thread

I also didn't realize this but it makes sense, DeBrincat spent his last season on the second line with his center being a rookie in Shane Pinto. Tough to play over Tkachuk I guess.  Moving to a new team and a new system and having his role diminished playing with lesser players, I'm kinda shocked he put up as many points as he did.  He isn't a flawless player but he's still valuable to a team I would think.  I can't wait to see what DeBrincat gets traded for because it feels like it could be all over the spectrum and I really don't know what to expect.

10 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

I also didn't realize this but it makes sense, DeBrincat spent his last season on the second line with his center being a rookie in Shane Pinto. Tough to play over Tkachuk I guess.  Moving to a new team and a new system and having his role diminished playing with lesser players, I'm kinda shocked he put up as many points as he did.  He isn't a flawless player but he's still valuable to a team I would think.  I can't wait to see what DeBrincat gets traded for because it feels like it could be all over the spectrum and I really don't know what to expect.

i hope its for 17 and zadina.  😉

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, buddha said:

LOL no argument from me!  If Ottawa would take a future top 10/15 protected first rounder too I would be even more over the moon, it seems like the first round of this current draft is pretty solid.  Hopefully stuff starts happening this week with the draft on tap.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

LOL no argument from me!  If Ottawa would take a future top 10/15 protected first rounder too I would be even more over the moon, it seems like the first round of this current draft is pretty solid.  Hopefully stuff starts happening this week with the draft on tap.

it could also be that they have an agreement in principle as long as X prospect is still on the board.

if friedman is reporting stuff there must be SOME kernel of truth to it.  otoh, knowing about stevie's ban on media leaks, maybe not?  

1 hour ago, buddha said:

i dont think he's a product of kane, but i dont think he's a 40 goal scorer without a top center.

with that said, you could say that about a lot of players!  

this is the point. I'd guess Yzerman has a set of criteria through which he evaluates a player and that their scoring numbers are only a piece of that. Maybe he'll look at Debrincat and decide he's a player he wants, or maybe not. But you get the impression Yzerman thinks he has a relative advantage in his drafting skill so I don' tthink he's ever going to be in a hurry to part with high picks.

12 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

this is the point. I'd guess Yzerman has a set of criteria through which he evaluates a player and that their scoring numbers are only a piece of that. Maybe he'll look at Debrincat and decide he's a player he wants, or maybe not. But you get the impression Yzerman thinks he has a relative advantage in his drafting skill so I don' tthink he's ever going to be in a hurry to part with high picks.

That's definitely understandable and I agree with your assessment of Yzerman.  It is a tough call overall because you have to give a long contract to him too.  I feel like it is a worthy gamble myself but I have no idea what the trade market really is.

21 minutes ago, buddha said:

it could also be that they have an agreement in principle as long as X prospect is still on the board.

if friedman is reporting stuff there must be SOME kernel of truth to it.  otoh, knowing about stevie's ban on media leaks, maybe not?  

I didn't consider the conditional part with the prospects honestly, could see some truth to that and deals getting done on the draft floor.  My guess with Friedman is that there are so many moving parts between the Sens side of the trade and negotiating with DeBrincat's agent that some info is slipping out not from the Detroit side.

I am really hungry for anything to happen here, I thought the Flyers / Blues trade or Kings getting PLD was going to happen then nothing so far.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

That's where I want it to end up and I don't think it's far off - if at all - what Ottawa can expect.

It would basically mean Hronek + Zadina for Debrincat + moving up from 4th round to 2nd in this year's draft.

• Like 1

i was going to say B.  🙂

if michkov truly is a superstar in the making, you wait for him and get him anyway you can.  the guy was mentioned as 1B to Bedard's 1A for a long time.  if that is still true, you go get him.  debrincat is a good player but not a superstar.

but i trust their scouts more than internet junk i read.  if they dont think he is, then dont do it.

at the end of the day, i think michkov goes top 5 or 6.  never gets past washington.

taylor hall given away for nothing (including former red wing prospect alec regula).  makes me wonder why we dont do something like that and weaponize our cap space.  chicago ia just going to flip him at the deadline for a first round pick.

edit: in hindsight, we might have been on hall's no trade list.

Edited by buddha

Kinda wild that Lashoff jumped directly into an AHL assistant gig

1 hour ago, buddha said:

taylor hall given away for nothing (including former red wing prospect alec regula).  makes me wonder why we dont do something like that and weaponize our cap space.  chicago ia just going to flip him at the deadline for a first round pick.

edit: in hindsight, we might have been on hall's no trade list.

Hall talked a lot about wanting to play for a contender so my guess is Detroit was on his no trade list.  Sucks for him Chicago wasn't, he's really played on a ton of bad teams in his career and he finally landed with a contender and gets traded away after having a solid playoff series.

https://detroitsportsnation.com/rumor-detroit-red-wings-have-handshake-deal-in-place-to-acquire-alex-debrincat/wgbrady/red-wings/detroit-red-wings-news/06/26/2023/414891/

I don't feel like it is very likely this blog has a plugged in source like this but I am bored so the claim is:

Our source indicated that the Red Wings would send Filip Zadina, the No. 17 overall pick, and either one of Detroit’s second-round picks this year or Boston’s first-rounder next year to the Senators in exchange for DeBrincat.

That being said, there is a catch to this trade going down. According to the source, for the trade to happen, the deal is contingent on two things. “One being that a certain unknown prospect must be available for Ottawa to pick at 17, and the second being that an extension has to be agreed upon with DeBrincat, which shouldn’t be terribly hard to accomplish because Detroit is on his list of desired cities to play in.”

I could see this being plausible but it just feels like the blogger is making it up using the available public info from actual insiders.

Edited by slothfacekilla

all these flyers trades keep getting shot down at the last minute.  kind of leads me to believe their new gm might bot have a full grasp on all the details of his job yet...and that someone in the organization is leaking EVERYTHING to the media.

12 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

I'm seeing the rumor as a second round pick + a prospect around a little bit, seeing Mazur's name pop up a lot.  I am probably just being a homer but I'm a little scared to give up Mazur I think he's going to be a good NHL player.

If we get Debrincat without having to give up a 1st I will be pleasantly surprised. I assumed a bidding war would start between 2-3-4 teams that he said he'd go to. But if not, and we really can get away with a trade that allows us to keep both 1sts, that's a steal for a60+ point producer and 30+ goal scorer.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If we get Debrincat without having to give up a 1st I will be pleasantly surprised. I assumed a bidding war would start between 2-3-4 teams that he said he'd go to. But if not, and we really can get away with a trade that allows us to keep both 1sts, that's a steal for a60+ point producer and 30+ goal scorer.

I'm guessing there aren't many teams that he's willing to sign an extension with that can also fit that extension in under the salary cap.  I also don't have a high opinion of Dorian so maybe he just sucks at getting bidding wars going.