Summer 2023 Off-Season Thread

3 hours ago, Kacie said:

Meh, I'm growing a little tired and frustrated with let's trust Yzerman's mad genius approach.  Am I expecting multiple Stanley Cups the next few years?  No.  But to not even sniff the playoffs after 5 years?  Come on, Seattle made the playoffs in their second year of existence, we know what Vegas did.  If Ken Holland or literally anyone else was doing a similar thing, fans would want his head on a platter.  Similar to the Tigers, they're losing an entire generation of fans who couldn't give a crap about hockey anymore.  Jimmy D got the Wings from Dead Wings to WCF in less than 5 years.  

Rebuilding in the Eastern Conference is many, many times harder than in the West.   Seattle doesn’t make the playoffs last year and Vegas would be very unlikely to have made any of their past playoff runs had they been in the East.

Edited by Hongbit

Libor Sulak...that's a name I haven't thought of in awhile.  Kenny steered this thing into the rocks.  I don't think SY is interested in an approach that gets us a 7th or 8th seed in the playoffs...just making the playoffs isn't the goal.  Building a roster and leaving space to take a swing at adding the final touches when you're ready too contend is.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lordstanley said:

With the caveat that I may change my tune 24 hours from now if July 1 takes a surprising turn.

Yzerman in his 4 years has taken a steady, conservative approach without a sense of urgency. That isn't inherently good or bad. Canadian teams often prematurely rush the process by signing a big name due to fan or media pressure to do something now, do anything. But goodwill Yzerman has built up from his playing days and Tampa tenure and the fact that enough fans have been sated by 4 Cups in 11 years has caused many to take a puffball approach to his record. 

There is the hope and expectation that he will replicate what he did in Tampa. That was first real executive job. He might repeat it. But any success depends on luck as well, and no guarantee that lightning will strike twice. Exhibit 1: drafting good fortune the Wings had in the late '80s and early '90s versus lack of lottery luck the past 7 years. Many examples of entrepreneurs making a ton of money and fame launching one business but then not hitting paydirt again the rest of the way. Past is only a partial indicator of future.

Yzerman has made a bunch of little moves and on balance more than often not they've been small wins. But when I look objectively at all of his drafts and trades and signings so far, I count one and only one move that lives up to the Yzerman hype so far - drafting Seider when almost everyone saw that as a reach. True that likewise he hasn't made any disastrous signings, trades or picks so far but it has been safety first so far.

Maybe that's ok, provided the Wings progress bit by bit. But willingly giving up on Vrana, Bertuzzi and Hronek presents the first real challenge of the Yzerman era. Without replacing them this weekend, the WIngs will likely be a worse team in 2023-24 than they were in 2022-2023. I was hoping for better 4 years in. Not that I blame him, there's still no other GM I'd rather have at this point, but we need to catch a break and it has been awhile since the Red Wings have. 

Thank you for saying so well what I didn't take the time to say in my frustration.  All of this.  The assumption that just because Yzerman built the pieces for Cup wins( but they didn't win until after he left), the conservative approach, the puzzling moves.  I'd also add staying with Blashill too long.

I'd disagree though that the Wings were just lucky in the 80's and 90's with their draft picks or that it was other teams lacking.  They had an owner and management who were obsessed with winning and rolled the dice.  We can look back now and say it's so obvious, but it wasn't really then.  

Obviously, no one wants a quick fix and multiple old, cap busting free agents.  But yes, I believe the rebuild should be farther along by now and I think you can get into the playoffs without sacrificing long term success. We hear endlessly about culture.  Eventually going year after year of not making the playoffs is going to take a toll on players and fans.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Is Twitter down?

“Rate limit exceeded” for me and sounds like for most people. I came here to ask whether anyone knew of a free agency phone hotline, lol. Guess I have to turn on my tv to TSan. 

Edited by lordstanley

48 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

“Rate limit exceeded” for me and sounds like for most people. I came here to ask whether anyone knew of a free agency phone hotline, lol. Guess I have to turn on my tv to TSan. 

Same issue.  I do get some random updated posts mixed with my old feed. 

This one came through with some of today’s moves 

Wow I absolutely hate this offseason so far.  We signed two backup goalies, the  more expensive one had an awful year last year and is an asshole.  Justin Holl sucks and they gave him 3 years at $3 million plus.  I am not happy, at least Twitter is f'ed so I can't hate scroll my timeline.

if I’m interpreting the piece below correctly, Sprong is perceived as a career 4th liner who put up nice offensive numbers out of nowhere last season. So Seattle didn’t want to pay up for a possible fluke. I still think it’s an OK gamble though. Unexpecting though. 

https://soundofhockey.com/2023/06/30/daniel-sprong-morgan-geekie-no-qualifying-offer/

Why Daniel Sprong didn’t get qualified

We have been predicting for some time that Daniel Sprong would not be qualified by the Kraken. Sure enough, the team confirmed that he had not been tendered an offer Friday, making him free to sign elsewhere for the second offseason in a row.

The issue with Sprong was not so much that he wasn’t valuable for the Kraken—he certainly was, potting 21 goals and adding 25 assists in a fourth-line role this season—but more that he had arbitration rights that could have resulted in a bigger payday for next season than Seattle was willing to give. By having such a productive season offensively, Sprong would have commanded a huge pay increase over the league minimum $750,000 he made in 2022-23.

Clearly, the Kraken weren’t willing to commit a big chunk of cap space to Sprong, who continues to be viewed around the league as a one-way player. We do not think it would have been a stretch for an arbitrator to grant something north of $2 million (or even $3 million?) to a player that just scored 20+ goals.  

Edited by lordstanley

13 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Reimer can get waived to go to GR if need be.  Not a fan of the Holl signing.  Ok with Sprong...esp for a year.  

Would rather have Killorn

Sounds like Reimer will back up Husso, and Lyon will be in GR with chance to be back up if Reimer falters and them certainly in Year 2 after Reiner’s gone.