Summer 2023 Off-Season Thread

12 minutes ago, buddha said:

depth signings to get us to the salary floor.

Unless a splash is coming, seems like we are going back in time to about 3 years ago. With Yzerman and Chris Iliitch deciding that we are not close enough to being good so let’s spend as little as possible and buckle up for a bad year but high pick. I sure hope that’s not the case. 

Edited by lordstanley

43 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Unless a splash is coming, seems like we are going back in time to about 3 years ago. With Yzerman and Chris Iliitch deciding that we are not close enough to being good so let’s spend as little as possible and buckle up for a bad year but high pick. I sure hope that’s not the case. 

Unless Raymond steps up in a big way or some unforeseen rookie comes up and has a huge year, I don't see where the offensive production is going to come from on this team. Do we have more than one or two players next year that are capable of netting more than 25 goals and 50 points? I expect 35 year old David Perron to regress at some point in the very near future. Where is the production coming from, with or without his regression?

• Like 1

This reminds me of the past 2 off seasons of the Tigers. Offseason before last the Tigers went out and made some notable signings like Baez and E-Rod. Team flopped so pulled back this offseason and went cheapo. Wings made some signings last summer like Copp and Perron which gave hope of moving forward. Seemed to be going according to plan until a bad couple of games against Ottawa seems to have freaked out the front office. Sold off two of their best half-dozen players and then went cheapo this offseason, at least so far. 

Edited by lordstanley
  • Like 1

Not sure if anyone else caught the interview with Larkin at the Rocket Mortgage Classic, but when asked about the upcoming season he said something to the effect that the Wings need to bring in "talent".  He wasn't shy last season about the Bertuzzi trade and how it took the wind of out the sails of the team when they felt they were close to getting into the playoff hunt.  Why sign the guy for 8 years and hang him out to dry?  Is he going to hang around another 2-3 years just to make the playoffs?  I feel like DeBrincat would get them to the floor and actually improve the team.  

7 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

I wish they would have gone cheaper and maybe they wouldn’t have signed Reimer or Holl.

Reimer and Ned signed for identical contracts today so it was like a flip. I’m ok with that but Reimer better be better than he was last year. Which may not happen as he is no spring chicken. 

Gotta admit, I don’t think I’ve been this bummed about a Wings signing (Holl) since resigning Cleary. I’m reeling, it’s like the bubble has burst on any illusion that Yzerman is playing 3D chess. Holl was SO bad. 

Following up on Shinzaki’s mention of Lindstrom needing to bulk up on muscle, I hope that applies to a number of the youngsters- Edvinson and Soderblom are too slight of build to fully use their size. Ras to some extent too, but he did improve on his toughness level. 

Edited by Dan Gilmore
Typo

you guys bitched about chairot - with good reason - and you want to give gudas a 4 year deal to be paying him when he's 38?  

michael bunting?  ummmm....why?

you see a shiny new toy and want to buy him.  that's not how you win in the long run.

you want to give bertuzzi 8x8 now?

So I guess the Yzerplan is to build more of an Islanders type of team that is theoretically tough to play against rather than what he did in Tampa Bay which I would say was go for a more skilled up-tempo roster.  It makes some sense with the bad luck they've had in the draft lotteries (and he wasn't blessed with a number 1 defenseman and number 1 center like he was in Tampa when he took that job) but I can't say that it excites me a ton.  At least now Veleno shouldn't be anywhere except line four as a center.

6 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

So I guess the Yzerplan is to build more of an Islanders type of team that is theoretically tough to play against rather than what he did in Tampa Bay which I would say was go for a more skilled up-tempo roster.  It makes some sense with the bad luck they've had in the draft lotteries (and he wasn't blessed with a number 1 defenseman and number 1 center like he was in Tampa when he took that job) but I can't say that it excites me a ton.  At least now Veleno shouldn't be anywhere except line four as a center.

Build a fundamentally solid team, keep your economics sound so you have the money to strike if a star becomes available on the market, and meanwhile scout like crazy and hope for a star with the picks you get. So, true - not an exciting swing at the fences strategy, but a tactically sound one that should at least get them back to consistent playoff presense.

Edited by gehringer_2

48 minutes ago, buddha said:

lol, still dont know where the goals come from, but they'll be better on defense.

we're totally going to be the islanders.

1-4-1 formation. One goalie, four defensive players, one sniper. Just not sure who the sniper is going to be.