Summer 2023 Off-Season Thread

Let me preface this by saying I liked both of the picks that Yzerman made. I liked the Danielson pick more than the Pellikka pick, as he has more offensive upside and production. But I still liked picking a smart, creative, puck moving defensemen who can QB the PP as well. Seems like the type of guy that can help add to our goal totals on the assist end and setting up scoring chances, which I very much like.

I also recognize that Stevie, Hakan, and everyone in the front office watching hours of film and live games of these guys knows a **** ton more about these prospects then me. But I can't help feel like yet again we missed our opportunity to get our pure goal scorer, someone capable of putting up 30-35+ goals a season, by passing on the likes of Barlow, Benson, and Perrault in what was supposed to be a deep forward draft.

So I say all that to ask this. In the next 2-3-4-5 seasons who is the player on this team or in the farm that is capable of scoring 35-40+ goals in a season and getting north of 70+ points in a season? Is it a necessity in today's NHL to have a 35-40+ goal scorer/70+ point guy on your team to advance deep into the playoffs given that Vegas just won the Cup without one on their team? If that player isn't on this team yet or in our farm system yet, where are we getting him then, if we even need too?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

33 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Let me preface this by saying I liked both of the picks that Yzerman made...

How many 100 point season/scoring championships did Conner McDavid and Mario Lemieux win when their teams didn't even make the playoffs? You have build the strongest whole team or those guys don't matter anyway. That's going to take the Wings a few more years yet of picking players for their total win added potential across their whole game, and in that time all you can do is hope that one or two of the guys they draft, which could even be a Danielson - end up out pacing their projections and becoming the scorers you need, or they swing a deal for one, or they win like Vegas did without them.  The conventional route to getting an offensive star by tanking has been denied the Red Wings despite no lack of their trying, and they don't get traded much, so the Wings are going to have find an alternate model -possibly like Vegas'

Edited by gehringer_2

On 6/27/2023 at 9:05 PM, 1984Echoes said:

This is what I see as the current future of the Red Wings:

Age on 10/1/2023:      

Red Wings Future      
Simon Edvinsson LD 20 6' 6" 210
Mo Seider RD 22 6' 4" 204
William Wallinder LD 21 6' 4" 192
Shai Buium LD 20 6' 3" 210
Albert Johansson LD 22 6' 0" 165

Sebastian Cossa G 20 6' 6" 212
Ville Husso G 28 6' 3" 200

Dylan Larkin C 27 6' 1" 198
Lucas Raymond LW 21 5' 11" 176
Michael Rasmussen RW 24 6' 6" 212

Marco Kasper C 19 6' 1" 184
Carter Mazur LW 21 6' 0" 170
Elmer Soderblom RW 22 6' 8" 246

Amadeus Lombardi C 20 5' 10" 178
Joe Veleno C 23 6' 1" 203
Dmitri Buchelnikov LW 20 5' 9" 150
Jonaton Berggren RW 23 5' 11" 197
Filip Zadina RW 23 6' 0" 190

Some thoughts:

1) Larkin is on the list due to the contract and he has the speed/ talent to be effective, I believe, for the duration.

2) Husso because I think Goalies have more longevity than forwards/ defenseman.

3) Other than those two... the future of this team is really highly dependent on the 19-24 age group.

4) The guys at the bottom, last two defenseman (Buium & Johansson) and 3rd lineman on the list are iffy. Some will cut it, some will not. No idea who does/ doesn't....

5) No guarantees that anyone will reach their "potential"; but anyways, that's the top of our current list.

6) We need more top-end talent. Period. And that includes adding some key veterans if we are able to...

7) There are guys who are not on this list... Who are still prospects and could make it to the NHL... But just haven't popped yet.

Just my... 2 cents.

I'm ready to update this now, and I do feel better about the depth of our prospects after this draft:

Age on 10/1/2023:       

Red Wings Future   

1st pair: Simon Edvinsson, LD, 20, 6' 6" 210  -  Mo Seider, RD, 22, 6' 4" 204,

2nd pair: William Wallinder, LD, 21, 6' 4" 192  -   Axel Sandin-Pellikka, RD, 18, 5' 11" 190

3rd pair options:

Shai Buium, LD, 20, 6' 3" 210  -  Antti Tuomisto, RD, 22, 6' 5" 205

Albert Johansson, LD, 22, 6' 0" 168  -  Andrew Gibson, RD, 18, 6' 3" 190

Donovan Sebrango, LD, 21, 6' 1" 194  -  Brady Cleveland, LD, 18, 6' 5" 210

Potential starting goalies:

Sebastian Cossa, G, 20, 6' 6" 212

Trey Augustine, G, 18, 6' 0" 190

Ville Husso, G, 28, 6' 3" 200

Lines:

Dylan Larkin, LSC, 27, 6' 1" 198  -  Lucas Raymond, LW, 21, 5' 11" 176  -  Michael Rasmussen, RW, 24, 6' 6" 212

Marco Kasper, LSC, 19, 6' 1" 184  -  Carter Mazur, LW, 21, 6' 0" 170  -  Jonaton Berggren, RW, 23, 5' 11" 197

Nate Danielson, RSC, 18,  6' 2" 190  -  Amadeus Lombardi, LSC/LW, 20, 5' 10" 178  -  Elmer Soderblom, RW, 22, 6' 8" 246

Other 3rd line/ 4th line options:

Klim Kostin, C, 24, 6' 3" 215  -  Dmitri Buchelnikov, LW, 20, 5' 9" 150  -  Filip Zadina, RW, 23, 6' 0" 190

(I forgot we just added Kostin... I'll give him a 3rd/4th line possibility and see if he's worth signing after this year as an RFA...)

Joe Veleno, C, 23, 6' 1" 203  -  Theodor Niederbach, RSC/ LW, 21, 5' 11" 172  -  Noah Dower Nilsson, LSC/ RW, 18, 6' 0" 180 

Edited by 1984Echoes

15 minutes ago, buddha said:

they wanted the other guy cause he has SIZE.

Yamamoto only had one year left on his contract, I'm not sure why you buy him out unless you are looking to add a ton of salary via trades and free agency this offseason.  Taking Yamamoto was necessary to get Kostin for nothing but I am curious why this was needed.

23 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Yamamoto only had one year left on his contract, I'm not sure why you buy him out unless you are looking to add a ton of salary via trades and free agency this offseason.  Taking Yamamoto was necessary to get Kostin for nothing but I am curious why this was needed.

I guess I'd turn it around. If he's not part of your plans, buying him out is fairer to him and saves you cap.

Edited by gehringer_2

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I guess I'd turn it around. If he's not part of your plans, buying him out is fairer to him and saves you cap.

It just seems odd to be scraping together ~$3 million in cap space for one season with where the Wings are at with their roster.  If they were a contender the freed up space makes a lot of sense.  Yamamoto has shown flashes, is only 24 years old, and was RFA after this contract.  I'm not sure it would have hurt to see if he clicks with the roster and see if there's something there but just my feeling on it.  I'm not upset just surprised.

1 hour ago, slothfacekilla said:

What's the roster limit?

The only reason to carry him on the roster is if they can trade him for something. Buying him out probably only saves a few pennies so this isn't about potentially adding a ton of salary. It's all about the roster spot and I guess they don't really want him on the roster and no one was interested in trading anything for him.

I'm just guessing but... my 2 cents.

35 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

It just seems odd 

well for certain we don't get to see all the wheels turning in the Yzerman FO so not everthing necessarily looks like it makes sense. Just looking back at the Vrana situation - there had to stuff going on that they just have kept to themselves. Not implying there is anything wrong with Yamamoto at all, just that whatever the reasons are that they aren't interested, we're not likely to learn them.

38 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

It just seems odd to be scraping together ~$3 million in cap space for...

They don't save $3 mill in cap because they still have to pay him. Maybe not $3 mill but... I don't think they're saving much by buying him out... And he gets to see if he can sign on with another team so... actually some class by the Wings to let him go shopping for another job early...