Summer 2023 Off-Season Thread

27 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

So I guess the Yzerplan is to build more of an Islanders type of team that is theoretically tough to play against rather than what he did in Tampa Bay which I would say was go for a more skilled up-tempo roster.  It makes some sense with the bad luck they've had in the draft lotteries (and he wasn't blessed with a number 1 defenseman and number 1 center like he was in Tampa when he took that job) but I can't say that it excites me a ton.  At least now Veleno shouldn't be anywhere except line four as a center.

I think Kostin takes over as 4th line Center. Bigger, tougher, and has some offense. 

That's why I'm also OK with Sprong. Adding toughness and scoring on the 4th line actually squeezes the skill players.

Either Zadina improves his touch or he'll get squeezed right off the roster.

Same with Lindstrom, Berggren, Veleno and multiple other fringe players...

Getting squeezed from both the top level players and the bottom 4th line/ 3rd pairing players can't be comfortable. Especially if guys do indeed get squeezed off the roster...

Edited by 1984Echoes

I like that Compher signing for depth scoring. I'm more excited about the Debrincat news though that his agent has been given permission to speak with certain other teams. I am holding out hope that we're one of those teams and that Stevie is talking to his agent. If we needed Debrincat and Compher that'd be solid.

28 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think Kostin takes over as 4th line Center. Bigger, tougher, and has some offense. 

That's why I'm also OK with Sprong. Adding toughness and scoring on the 4th line actually squeezes the skill players.

Either Zadina improves his touch or he'll get squeezed right off the roster.

Same with Lindstrom, Berggren, Veleno and multiple other fringe players...

Getting squeezed from both the top level players and the bottom 4th line/ 3rd pairing players can't be comfortable. Especially if guys do indeed get squeezed off the roster...

it's already been talked around, but I can't see Zadina or Veleno sticking very long this season unless they both elevate their games substantially. Berggren probably gets more run. Lindstrom being a defensemen - esp a R shot, patience there is understandable.

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

it's already been talked around, but I can't see Zadina or Veleno sticking very long this season unless they both elevate their games substantially. Berggren probably gets more run. Lindstrom being a defensemen - esp a R shot, patience there is understandable.

But he's also (Lindstrom) going to get squeezed on the Right Side...

Both defenseman they signed are Right shots. That's the squeeze from the bottom.

Obviously Seider is at the top... but I think Pellikka will also move quickly. Not this year obviously... he'll be in the SHL...

But in 2024 I'm guessing Pellika makes it stateside and starts pressuring for a Red Wings roster spot. Even if he has to go to Grand Rapids for most of 2024... he's going to put tremendous pressure on the bottom of the right side D as he and Seider dominate the top (eventually).

Who survives at the bottom? Lindstrom? Can he grow? If not, the bottom level signings we just made will squeeze him out. That's what I mean by pressuring from both the top of the roster and the bottom.

Agree on the assessments of Veleno, Zadina & Berggren.

15 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

But he's also (Lindstrom) going to get squeezed on the Right Side...

Both defenseman they signed are Right shots. That's the squeeze from the bottom.

Obviously Seider is at the top... but I think Pellikka will also move quickly. Not this year obviously... he'll be in the SHL...

But in 2024 I'm guessing Pellika makes it stateside and starts pressuring for a Red Wings roster spot. Even if he has to go to Grand Rapids for most of 2024... he's going to put tremendous pressure on the bottom of the right side D as he and Seider dominate the top (eventually).

Who survives at the bottom? Lindstrom? Can he grow? If not, the bottom level signings we just made will squeeze him out. That's what I mean by pressuring from both the top of the roster and the bottom.

Agree on the assessments of Veleno, Zadina & Berggren.

They only signed Lindstrom for a year - so it's not like there is any deep committment there. If the knock was he needs to be stronger, the year you turn 25 is about time to show you are.

Interesting on DeBrincat. So maybe it was Debrincat’s demands not Ottawa’s demands that was or is the obstacle to a deal with the Wings

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/garrioch-ottawa-senators-need-help-from-alex-debrincat-to-complete-a-trade

General manager Pierre Dorion confirmed Saturday, the day NHL free agency opened, he had given Jackson permission to talk contract with more than one team in an attempt to facilitate a trade, but those trades fell through because DeBrincat’s camp didn’t like the term they were being offered.

2 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Interesting on DeBrincat. So maybe it was Debrincat’s demands not Ottawa’s demands that was or is the obstacle to a deal with the Wings

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/garrioch-ottawa-senators-need-help-from-alex-debrincat-to-complete-a-trade

General manager Pierre Dorion confirmed Saturday, the day NHL free agency opened, he had given Jackson permission to talk contract with more than one team in an attempt to facilitate a trade, but those trades fell through because DeBrincat’s camp didn’t like the term they were being offered.

LOL - Ottawa scores on their own goal by raising his expectations with the 8 yr offer. 

15 hours ago, Dan Gilmore said:

Patch up the roster with an emphasis on size and toughness with short-term FAs while the next wave in the minors matures?

That's exactly what it looks like.

Also...

He's putting a serious squeeze on the roster so that will up the pressure on marginal guys...

A lot, I am guessing...

Prove it or improve it or lose it.