Summer 2023 Off-Season Thread

If Winnipeg is rebuilding, and if you had the chance to get Kyle Connor or Alex Debrincat, which one would you pursue?

I don't know that Kyle Connor will be available, but he is the guy I would go after if given the choice. It might cost a little bit more to get Connor, but I'd be willing to go get him so as long as it didn't cost me one of Raymond, Edvinsson, or Kasper. I'd part with both draft 1st round picks for Kyle Connor too.

21 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If Winnipeg is rebuilding, and if you had the chance to get Kyle Connor or Alex Debrincat, which one would you pursue?

I don't know that Kyle Connor will be available, but he is the guy I would go after if given the choice. It might cost a little bit more to get Connor, but I'd be willing to go get him so as long as it didn't cost me one of Raymond, Edvinsson, or Kasper. I'd part with both draft 1st round picks for Kyle Connor too.

i dont think connor is for sale.  they have others who are their trade bait.

21 hours ago, buddha said:

would you trade 9 and 17 for clayton keller?

I think I would, 24 and had a great season last year.  Never had much help in Arizona.

18 hours ago, buddha said:

trade proposal from the athletic today: debrincat to the wings for zadina and 17.

i would do that in a heartbeat if debrincat would sign a long term deal for less than larkin's.  8 for 8 maybe.

That seems like a no brainer for the Wings, would the Sens even entertain that?  Would anyone want to take Zadina?

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm with buddha I doubt Connor gets moved, but I would give up a ton for him.  They're probably moving Hellebuyck and Scheifle, Connor's contract is too much of a steal even when strapped for cap IMO.  But I guess stranger things have happened.

12 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

I think I would, 24 and had a great season last year.  Never had much help in Arizona.

That seems like a no brainer for the Wings, would the Sens even entertain that?  Would anyone want to take Zadina?

i think keller might cost more than 9 amd 17...

1 hour ago, slothfacekilla said:

I'm with buddha I doubt Connor gets moved, but I would give up a ton for him.  They're probably moving Hellebuyck and Scheifle, Connor's contract is too much of a steal even when strapped for cap IMO.  But I guess stranger things have happened.

What do we consider a ton? If we are calling about Scheifle, we might as well be asking about Connor. I'd offer up both firsts and additional picks for him. I'd throw in Wallinder or Mazur if they needed a top prospect to get it done.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

What do we consider a ton? If we are calling about Scheifle, we might as well be asking about Connor. I'd offer up both firsts and additional picks for him. I'd throw in Wallinder or Mazur if they needed a top prospect to get it done.

3 years @ $7.142 caphit is a crazy steal for a point per game player that is still only 26 you're theoretically getting what old school people consider players' prime.  I'm honestly trying to think of comparable trades recently.  I'm guessing you can get more than Eichel fetched since he doesn't have major injury concerns / asked out?  Probably more than Fiala since they still needed to work out a deal with him and that was a top prospect and a first.  My total guess here would be..... Both first this season, a first next season, maybe like.... a third and you'd probably have to give up one of Edvinsson or Kasper (maybe both)?  I honestly am not sure just that it would be a tonnnnnnnnnn is my guess.  These trades don't happen super often.

I still feel like the Wings are ways away from making a playoff run.  Florida had the benefit of Bobrovsky playing out of his mind for the early series, and legitimate stars like Tkachuk scoring timely goals.  I don't see either of those elements on the Wings team right now, but maybe that's just me.  They need a lot more scoring depth to consider any sort of run I think.

17 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Wings mentioned as a possible landing spot for Erik Karlsson...SJ would have to retain salary and not want much in return...but getting the bulk of that contract off their books would be attractive for them

4 more years of Karlsson with a NMC would be tough to stomach, I wonder what the retention and the rest of the deal would look like

42 minutes ago, jz68 said:

I don't want draft picks, I want proven players ready to help the team win now!  Wings need to be back in the playoffs next season, this drought has gone on way too long.  

I'm with you. I'd be willing to trade every single Red Wings' pick in this 2023 draft for as much talent as that can bring in. We need to sign or acquire the equivalent of Bertuzzi and Hronek JUST to be as good of a roster as at this past year's training camp.

Edited by lordstanley

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

unfortunately, i think that ottawa series showed me how far away this team really is from competing.

I largely agree with you here but this was also right after Rasmussen's season ending injury I think, and that was a huge blow to the team.  I hope he picks up next season where he left off preinjury as he does a lot of positive things for the team and would be a huge boost to get back.  He isn't going to take on the Sens all by himself but the Wings definitely missed him.  Hopefully him + some graduating prospects can accelerate their timeline a bit.