05/27/2023 1:10 pm EDT Chicago White Sox vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

2 hours ago, casimir said:

I don’t know.  Let’s say the Tigers somehow or another keep very minimal distance to the top of an awful division “race”.  Schoop finds himself enough to be helpful for what the Tigers need, but there are no offers for him at the trade deadline. The combination of events probably isn’t likely.  But here we are at Memorial Day within a series of .500. Who would’ve thought that likely?  If your hand is up, you’re lying.

Now, my inclination would still be for the future rather than 2023.  But if there’s nothing compelling offered for Schoop, why not fancy a chance now?  Or do you just take the best offer available regardless?  I could see either side of it, but it’s a real sideways squint and without glasses on to envision such a scenario.

Not necessarily you here, but let’s not fall into an all-or-nothing trap where the discussion is limited to either Schoop nets us a huge prospect haul, or Schoop nets us nothing. There are a lot of variations in between: Schoop could get us a lottery ticket from someone, or Schoop could be packaged with a pitcher to improve a return. Let’s also not get into the trap of believing what Schoop is right now is exactly what we will be able to deal him off of in July. That’s two months from now; a lot can and will happen by then.

Seeing how nobody cared to ask, here’s my exact take on Schoop: there’s no chance he will net us a top 100 prospect, and there’s some chance that no matter how well he does between now and end of July, he will still draw zero interest. That having been stipulated upfront, I think the most reasonably optimistic thing that could happen is Schoop packaged with somebody like Lange or Foley to get us the type of potentially-high-reward, advanced-enough position player prospect(s) that have the skills this front office is remaking the entire organization in order to exploit. Again, that may not happen even if Schoop is born again hard for the entire next two months. I’m thinking it’s probably the top end return we could hope for, if things break the right.

What team in its right mind would see Schoop as even a minimal asset that would make their quest for the postseason more possible? Offhand, I’d say any contender that has trouble hitting LHPs in general, such as the Brewers. Schoop could be the 13th player off that bench to pinch-hit against tough lefties late in the game, something they don’t have right now. Not sure if they will be in that same boat in two months, but if they are, that might be where picking up someone like Schoop for a very specialized purpose could make sense for them. Also, not for nothing, the Brewers could use help in their bullpen as well.

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

Remember that big haul that they got for Grossman, after showcasing his carcass every night for a month?  The return for Schoop will be less than that.

Remember who the general manager was when we got that “big haul” for Grossman?

1 hour ago, Dan Gilmore said:

I suspect any trade value for Schoop is dependent on another team’s injury situation. A contending team could ante up something minor to get them through a stretch while their regular players are on the DL (60 day?).

Agree, there are a lot of different circumstances that could affect return

You would have to pay the balance of Schoop’s salary and expect very little in return.  Even in 2021 when he was playing well, we couldn’t move him.  Now his range is an issue, without the shift, and he doesn’t walk, hit or hit with power.  Besides those flaws, he should be in high demand.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

... but let’s not fall into an all-or-nothing trap where the discussion is limited to either Schoop nets us a huge prospect haul, or Schoop nets us nothing. There are a lot of variations in between...

Schoop's trade value is not zero.

It's ABSOLUTE ZERO.

No one will want him for anything. Not as a bench player, not as a pinch-hitter, or injury replacement, or anything. 

He is absolutely nothing at the deadline, except a potential DFA. That's what we will get for him: a DFA release.

11 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

It's ABSOLUTE ZERO.

No one will want him for anything. Not as a bench player, not as a pinch-hitter, or injury replacement, or anything. 

He is absolutely nothing at the deadline, except a potential DFA. That's what we will get for him: a DFA release.

Well, if we don’t trade him, I bet we don’t release him. Ride or die.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Well, if we don’t trade him, I bet we don’t release him. Ride or die.

I think a release will really depend not on Schoop or on our record but... on whether Malloy or Keith can bang the door down screaming "Let me IN!!!"

We'll see if the Tigers let either of them in MLB this year...

But I think at the very least Malloy will break into MLB in September, if not before.

Position-wise will be tricky: As I think Malloy will end up playing only some 3B, maybe some LF, and some DH. At least that's what it looks like at this point. And it says that Maton, McKinstry, and Short have to be doing well enough to cover 3B and 2B, if it is indeed Schoop that is released to make room...

Just my 2 cents...

16 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think a release will really depend not on Schoop or on our record but... on whether Malloy or Keith can bang the door down screaming "Let me IN!!!"

We'll see if the Tigers let either of them in MLB this year...

But I think at the very least Malloy will break into MLB in September, if not before.

Position-wise will be tricky: As I think Malloy will end up playing only some 3B, maybe some LF, and some DH. At least that's what it looks like at this point. And it says that Maton, McKinstry, and Short have to be doing well enough to cover 3B and 2B, if it is indeed Schoop that is released to make room...

Just my 2 cents...

I don't think either of those two will make it to Detroit this season, and Schoop will be still on the team on October 1.

43 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

It's ABSOLUTE ZERO.

This is probably true.  But he is actually hitting the ball lately.  Hit a couple of seeds and the long fly ball to the RF side of CF that moved Torkelson to 3B in the 10th.  Due in part to this and Maton's struggles, maybe we're about to see Schoop get more than platoon time for a bit right now?  They've kept him this long despite a slow start, and to your point, he probably doesn't have much trade value.