2023 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

9 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I’d also be OK with trading prospects that other teams value for players that fit our team.  We can take on salary.  We don’t have to label our activity as either buying or selling—I think we can consider both.

"We are 'Positioning' at the Trade Deadline this year...".

19 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I’d also be OK with trading prospects that other teams value for players that fit our team.  We can take on salary.  We don’t have to label our activity as either buying or selling—I think we can consider both.

We are not trading prospects so we can win this year.

Edited by chasfh

19 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

This makes sense. Even if we are or are not going to get higher priced per say FAs then they need to consider this. Trading prospects does not mean the higher end types (Keith, PMeadows, Campos, Jung, etc.). Teams evaluate differently and a fringe guy for us may be a strong consideration for another organization (and vice-versa). Any way to make the team/organization stronger moving forward has to be considered.

It may not be as cut & dry as 'Sellers or Buyers' - maybe both.

20 hours ago, HeyAbbott said:

There's no intent by the Tiger's brass to reach the playoffs,or even a winning record this year. If there is a decent return pitching will be traded

True. Yet, if we can throw in a valued fringe prospect or two so the return is greater, then that may be a way to go also.

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

We are not trading prospects so we can win this year.

Not "to win" this year, necessarily...

But just to add a key element to the team, for future/ short-term use. It would be a Paredes for Austin Meadows trade only hopefully not for someone who falls apart at the seams...

Sorry to Austin, it's, just, the truth.

42 minutes ago, buddha said:

we should trade a couple fringe prospects for a guy like carlos guillen.  or placido polanco.  

If Harris is going to turn this organization around, then that's the kind of thing he needs to be able to do creative things like that.  I think you and Echo might disagree on who is a fringe prospect though!.  

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

Add in Doug Fister. And Anibel Sanchez.

Also... does Harris even have those chops?

DD certainly did...

I don't think we know that yet for sure.  He had some success in San Francisco with pitchers.  He has made some promising trades with the Tigers, but I grade them as incomplete at this point.    

6 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

If Harris is going to turn this organization around, then that's the kind of thing he needs to be able to do creative things like that.  I think you and Echo might disagree on who is a fringe prospect though!.  

The Tigers needed a SS entering the 2004 season. DD signed Omar Vizquel. Very fortunately he flunked the physical. DD then trades Ramon Santiago for Guillen. What if Vizquel doesn't flunk his physical? Probably no Guillen. Sometimes better to be lucky than good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

I am thinking Haase might get traded for another team's bum (a platoon LH infielder or a platoon RH outfielder). Not much drop off to Knapp or Papierski; either would give Hinch the L/R match up he likes to use.

Haase and Rogers don't work in a platoon. Neither hits righties well. Could use an Alex Avila type but good luck finding a lefty hitting catcher. 

Drafted: 23th Round, 2019 from Flagler College (COL)
Age 27.0 Height 6′ 3″ Weight 195 Bat / Thr R / R FV 40
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Fastball Slider Command Sits/Tops
55/55 60/60 30/40 94-96 / 98

Calvo was a 23rd rounder out of Flagler College, a Division II school in St. Augustine, Florida. He took a circuitous route to get there, going from a Florida JUCO to rehabbing from TJ to transferring to Pitt and then to Flagler for his fifth season removed from high school. Calvo had a dominant foray into pro ball, striking out more than a batter per inning in a long relief role during his 2021 Low-A debut. As with Gavin Hollowell, the Rockies skipped Calvo over High-A and sent him to Hartford to start 2022, where he excelled in a single-inning role until the end of May. In his final May outing, Calvo’s heart began racing uncontrollably on the mound and he had to be taken to the hospital. He was dealing with a previously undiagnosed heart arrhythmia called ventricular tachycardia. Shelved for two months while he and his doctors decided how Calvo could safely proceed with a life that included baseball, he was back in August and picked up Fall League innings before the Rockies added him to the 40-man roster in the offseason.

Calvo sits 94-96 mph (and peaks above that) with a plus-plus flashing slider in the 83-86 mph range. His arm is very whippy and Calvo’s stride home opens up his hips in a way that’s atypical of most pitchers, possibly creating some deception. His command is comfortably below average, but typical of a single-inning reliever. It’s most detrimental when Calvo goes through stretches where his slider doesn’t finish and is left hanging in the zone, but mostly he looks like a standard fastball/slider middle reliever who has carved a remarkable path on his way there.