2023 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

As much as I hate that they didn't "get something for E-Rod", I do think long term it could help if Harris is viewed by players as one who won't throw them under the bus.  Obviously they'll go where the money is - but if the money's equal, you want a good culture.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Also, Eugenio Suarez, Robbie Ray, and Avisail Garcia, who are all in the middle of good big league careers right now.

Might as well add to the list Cody Ross, Jair Jurrjens, Matt Joyce, Curt Casali, Corey Knebel, Jose Alvarez, and Devon Travis, all of whom had success at the big league level with other organizations, some quite a bit,  after we traded them for either rentals or garbage.

This is not to say that Dombrowski never made any trades that he won—I won't add Cameron Maybin or Andrew Miller to this list for obvious reasons—but it's not as though he kept all the good prospects and traded away only the flotsam. His record is mixed, at best, probably in line with other GMs of similar stature.

Indeed and he really messed up trading Mr. Lee to Detroit ( I hope ).

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

to me "winning" a trade means you improved your team.

and the other side does not have to lose for you to win.

regardless of what Parades and the comp pick draftee did, if Austin Meadows simply put up his career average performance the last 2 years, that would have been a win for Detroit

I'm not so sure. Parades stats this year are better than Meadows was tracking when we got him, the cost is 8 million over two years versus maybe  2 and the rays have 6 years of control versus 3. 

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

To paraphrase Earl Weaver, Dombrowski won more than he lost, pal. I would go so far as to say if you put Dombrowski's Tigers era trades under a microscope, the net value returned will come out near the top of any GM's term ever for any team in the modern era. That is a lot of work to prove though. 

Let us know how that comes out! 😉

8 hours ago, djhutch said:

As much as I hate that they didn't "get something for E-Rod", I do think long term it could help if Harris is viewed by players as one who won't throw them under the bus.  Obviously they'll go where the money is - but if the money's equal, you want a good culture.

Yeah, I don't think Harris is getting enough credit for taking the arrows on this. 

Obviously some will come back and say "he shouldn't get credit, that's his job".... OTOH, his predecessor was fine with making excuses.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Edman85 said:

To paraphrase Earl Weaver, Dombrowski won more than he lost, pal. I would go so far as to say if you put Dombrowski's Tigers era trades under a microscope, the net value returned will come out near the top of any GM's term ever for any team in the modern era. That is a lot of work to prove though. 

I remember somebody (it may have been Bill Ferris) thoroughly went through every trade made by Dombrowski and concluded that Dombrowski won the vast majority of them.  

21 hours ago, Edman85 said:

He traded for a HOF player in Miggy..that really skews his value returned  🙂

One of Dombrowski's best attributes was his willingness to trade prospects and not fear the repercussions if that player ended up being a star. I think his mindset was it really doesn't matter to his organization how that player turns out all that matters is how the player they get in return helps Dombrowski's team out. 

Like when we really needed another starting pitcher and 2B to help win us the division he didn't hesitate to trade Jacob Turner cause he knew Turner wasn't ready so he wasn't going to help us accomplish that goal but Sanchez and Infante might, if Turner ended up being a star so be it, we got what we wanted and that's all that mattered to him.

Yeah in the long run with that philosophy you may have a couple trades that people will mock you for but ultimately I bet in most cases you will come out on top as DD has shown. 

3 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

He traded for a HOF player in Miggy..that really skews his value returned  🙂

And yet there were many on message boards and in the media (Lynn Henning) who complained that the Tigers had mortgaged their future with this trade. I guess the fear was that Miggy wouldn't sign a long term deal. 

1 minute ago, SeattleMike said:

And yet there were many on message boards and in the media (Lynn Henning) who complained that the Tigers had mortgaged their future with this trade. I guess the fear was that Miggy wouldn't sign a long term deal. 

I remember being reluctant to give up Maybin.

We knew Miggy was good...but even with the awful last several seasons...he's a historically significant hitter.  Retiring with 500+ Hrs, 3100+ hits a.300+ average...not many guys have done that.  I expected him to be good...but 1st ballot HOF?  exceeded my expectations and I was happy with the deal

14 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

We knew Miggy was good...but even with the awful last several seasons...he's a historically significant hitter.  Retiring with 500+ Hrs, 3100+ hits a.300+ average...not many guys have done that.  I expected him to be good...but 1st ballot HOF?  exceeded my expectations and I was happy with the deal

600 doubles to boot.

• Like 1

When they acquired Cabrera, he was already one of the two or three best hitters in baseball at age 24.  So, there was every reason to believe he was on a Hall of Fame career track.  I was shocked that they were able to obtain a hitter of his caliber and my only question was whether they would be able to sign him long term.   

Most prospects don't reach their full potential.  So when you trade prospects for proven talent, you are going to win most of the time.

Maybin and Miller were top 10 prospects in all of baseball.  While both had decent careers, neither one became a superstar.  

Take Torkelson for another example. 2 years ago we could've gotten a better return for him than what we could get now. Most people would be opposed to trading him, back then and right now.  But hindsight might tell a different story. Of course, we will never know who we could get because he was never on the tading block.  But what if the Tigers were ready to compete in 2021 like they were in 2008?  (Sorry, just fantasizing about being buyers instead of sellers).  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...