06/15/2023 7:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Minnesota Twins

casimir

Take out one inning, and its a good start by Boyd.  It'd have been great to use him for another inning (only 84 pitches) given the current pitching staff situation, but how do you trust him for another inning?  Sending him out for the 6th was probably more necessity than it was decision.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Take out one inning, and its a good start by Boyd.  It'd have been great to use him for another inning (only 84 pitches) given the current pitching staff situation, but how do you trust him for another inning?  Sending him out for the 6th was probably more necessity than it was decision.

Not having much of a fast ball to fall back on, Matt gets in trouble in a hurry when his finesse falters or a couple guys guess right sitting on the slow curve. 'Instant Runs' as Ernie would say.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Not having much of a fast ball to fall back on, Matt gets in trouble in a hurry when his finesse falters or a couple guys guess right sitting on the slow curve. 'Instant Runs' as Ernie would say.

Yes, that's part of the problem.  The trouble comes quickly.

I guess at that point, its a 2 run lead, so try to lock that game down.  If its a 2 run deficit, if its a 4-2 game and the offense is lacking, I might send Boyd out there.  Innings pitched are pretty valuable right now.

Edited by casimir

Speaking of Boyd, Law did a 2013 redraft the other day and he had Boyd going 20th overall. He's put up a total of 9 WAR for his career yet he is still the 20th best player from that class, it just goes to show you how little you should count on from a first round pick, particularly a mid to later one. 

15 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Stability is another buzzword I suppose?

But for sure he's also there to burn as many innings as they can squeeze out of him.

Yeah, no doubt, but I remember literally every story they wrote after the signing that Boyd has never stopped being a mentor to the young starters and who has shown he's a positive mentor to younger pitchers on the staff and is a valuable presence in the clubhouse who’s eager to mentor young pitchers and stuff like that there.