Northwesturn at Michigan

romad1

Illinois upsets Penn State in 9 OTs! For those that arent familiar with the new CFB OT rules after 2 OTs each team just lines up for 2PT conversions. Both Illinois and Penn State failed to convert their 2pt 5 straight times. The 8th OT both finally converted and in the 9th Penn State failed and Illinois converted for the win. Illinois QB on that last play was former Michigan QB Brandon Peters who apparently is on the Van Wilder program cause I thought he should've graduated years ago. 

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Illinois upsets Penn State in 9 OTs! For those that arent familiar with the new CFB OT rules after 2 OTs each team just lines up for 2PT conversions. Both Illinois and Penn State failed to convert their 2pt 5 straight times. The 8th OT both finally converted and in the 9th Penn State failed and Illinois converted for the win. Illinois QB on that last play was former Michigan QB Brandon Peters who apparently is on the Van Wilder program cause I thought he should've graduated years ago. 

Was this a PSU had no QB thing or was this an Illinois suddenly as good as PSU thing?

Just now, romad1 said:

Was this a PSU had no QB thing or was this an Illinois suddenly as good as PSU thing?

Clifford(PSU's number 1 QB) did indeed play the whole game. I only watched the last minute and OTs and he didn't look particularly good at all so not sure if he was completely healthy. Actually his biggest blunder from what I watched was in one of the OTs Penn State ran a reverse where the WR threw to him, it was designed perfectly and he was wide open for what would've been the game winning TD and he just flat out dropped it. 

29 minutes ago, romad1 said:

clifford played hurt.

otoh, penn state could not stop illinois's running game.  they ran for like 300 yards.  if clifford remains injured and penn state cant stop the run, that bodes well for michigan.  michigan's weakness will be teams that can pass to take advantage of their poor corners and young linebackers.

and if you cant stop the run, michigan will hammer you.

mcnamara starts because he takes care of the ball and doesnt make mistakes.  he wont be the qb next year, i promise you.  he will transfer after this season like everyone else who isnt immediately starting.

13 hours ago, romad1 said:

I intentionally misspelled the name of the school my son is applying to along with Michigan and others.  Its a game.  Its today.  May our homefield advantage carry Michigan.  Let not the bye lead us to slovenly play.

Your son could follow my son’s: undergrad at Michigan, masters at NW.

5 hours ago, buddha said:

mcnamara starts because he takes care of the ball and doesnt make mistakes.  he wont be the qb next year, i promise you.  he will transfer after this season like everyone else who isnt immediately starting.

For the 1st time today I wasn't all that impressed with McNamara's decision making. He threw two balls into coverage that had every right to be intercepted and checked down in down and distance situations - once where he had all the time in the world to wait - where it was just a dumb play. Maybe the receivers are not running their deep routes accurately but he sure has trouble going downfield, which is a little weird since it's not like Patterson where he is inaccurate everywhere on the field; his throws on intermediate routes aren't bad. The D keeps looking better though and RB's are flat out good.

8 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

Can someone explain the rationale for illegal man down field?  Why is that on the rule book?  I literally don’t understand why it’s an issue. 

It's about two things - eligible receivers and blocking. Since linemen are ineligible receivers, you don't want teams sending their centers five yards down the field to just distract the DBs and LBs from their assignments. It also prevents a team from having linemen streak down the field at the snap to block for a single intended receiver. Otherwise teams could just design plays where they have their #1 wideout run a slant, catching a ball five or ten yards downfield surrounded by a convoy of three offensive linemen who are at that point going against DBs instead of guys their own size. Scoring would go way up if linemen were given free range.

These reasons are also why IDF is only a penalty if the pass actually happens, and if the pass crosses the line of scrimmage. On a screen pass behind the LOS, linemen can go downfield.

• Like 1