07/28/2023 6:40pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Miami Marlins

casimir

9 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Not too many catchers catch 140 games.  120 would be nice.  

Correct.

Gone are the days of 3-4 SPs on a team pitching 200+ innings (lucky if 165) or 7-8 position players on a team literally starting 140 or more games each (let alone catchers). Sure there 'may' be an outlier team once in the while for a season.

I personally hope that MLB and the union realize a 27-28 man roster is more the route today, but it took a long time to get it to just 26.

2 hours ago, alex said:

Correct.

Gone are the days of 3-4 SPs on a team pitching 200+ innings (lucky if 165) or 7-8 position players on a team literally starting 140 or more games each (let alone catchers). Sure there 'may' be an outlier team once in the while for a season.

I personally hope that MLB and the union realize a 27-28 man roster is more the route today, but it took a long time to get it to just 26.

This is interesting, but also a mixture of truth and myth.  In 1970, 3.9 players per team played 140 or more games, so there were not typically 7-8 position players playing 140+ games.  There was always a lot of platooning and shuttling and injuries even when some of us old guys were kids. 

In 2018, it was down to 3.5 players per team, so not really a dramatic difference over the decades. 

There was a big change starting in 2019 when it suddenly dropped to 3.0.  Last year it was 2.8.  In between, there was the covid years.  This is a significant change. but it's still just a difference of one player (four players per team versus three players).  

It's also a new change, so I don't really know if it's a good idea yet.  Is it leading to more productivity?  Fewer injuries? or is it just a way to save money since part-time players make less money than full-time players? Is it easier to stay under team budget if you have more part-time players?

I do agree that the roters should be expanded.    

Edited by Tiger337

17 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

There was a big change starting in 2019 when it suddenly dropped to 3.0.  Last year it was 2.8.  In between, there was the covid years.  This is a significant change. but it's still just a difference of one player (four players per team versus three players).  

interesting because you would think that with pitching staffs expanded right to the 13 man limit, that short position rosters would be driving things the other way. I suppose the shift made it much less profitable to play LHHs everyday - if that was any part of it maybe we see more 140 game LHHs with the shift gone. The other question would be how much is management choice vs losing starters to injuries?  If you follow the Tigers it would be easy to believe injuries are up for all ball players, not just pitchers.