#17 Michigan @ #100 Michigan State University

romad1

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

yup - I hope Harbaugh is recruiting a good QB hard this year because one way or the other one of McNamara or McCarthy is gone next season and you don't want to be left with no backup. That is apparently how it's going to be from now on. Win the job or move on, win and then lose the job, move on.

They are…he’s another JJ

Call your shot, who wins the game? I am going to go with Michigan. As much as I don't trust Harbaugh in big games, and why should anyone given his paltry record, but I think Michigan's defensive dominance will play a big factor in why they win. Their defensive performance under Mike McDonald this season feels different than at any time under Dr. Blitz. If they can limit the running game for MSU and get after the QB and put pressure on Payton Thorne and make him have to scramble and improvise they are going to win this. I don't think Payton Thorne can be asked to beat this Michigan defense. Take away his running game and get him under duress and you can win this thing because you have an offense that is led by a game managing QB who doesn't turn the ball over.

MSU has also flown by the seat of their pants in several games this year, Nebraska most notably. Facing a defense like Michigan's, this could be the week it finally catches up with them.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Call your shot, who wins the game? I am going to go with Michigan. As much as I don't trust Harbaugh in big games, and why should anyone given his paltry record, but I think Michigan's defensive dominance will play a big factor in why they win. Their defensive performance under Mike McDonald this season feels different than at any time under Dr. Blitz. If they can limit the running game for MSU and get after the QB and put pressure on Payton Thorne and make him have to scramble and improvise they are going to win this. I don't think Payton Thorne can be asked to beat this Michigan defense. Take away his running game and get him under duress and you can win this thing because you have an offense that is led by a game managing QB who doesn't turn the ball over.

MSU has also flown by the seat of their pants in several games this year, Nebraska most notably. Facing a defense like Michigan's, this could be the week it finally catches up with them.

Michigan by a point. 

You’ve got to assume that Tucker will play 8 in the box and challenge UM to beat them passing.   The risk here is that both Corum and Haskins have the ability to make a man miss and they are off for a long 6.  Also wont be surprised to see UM try to run a handoff pitch back flea flicker and catch MSU sleeping.    Neither of these teams has really been tested since the B10 has proven to be so weak so it’s possible that one or both are frauds no worth their ranking like we saw with like Iowa, Wisconsin, and Penn State.      I think MSU has better skill players but UM will win this game.    Harbaugh hyped up Erick All to be one of the best TE ever at UM and he’s instead been a complete nobody thus far.   I think he catches 2 TD’s and is the hero.  

UM 27

MSU 16

one thing is certain: both of these teams are frauds.  

michigan is having a nice season and its been fun to watch, but honestly, both of these teams are going to get destroyed by ohio state.  msu might have a better chance because ohio state doesnt care about msu.  but michigan?  ohio state will win that game by 40 points.

17 minutes ago, buddha said:

one thing is certain: both of these teams are frauds.  

michigan is having a nice season and its been fun to watch, but honestly, both of these teams are going to get destroyed by ohio state.  msu might have a better chance because ohio state doesnt care about msu.  but michigan?  ohio state will win that game by 40 points.

If Michigan loses on Saturday and then goes and gets trucked by Ohio State, does Harbaugh deserve to keep his job at 10-2?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

indeed, neither of these teams has top 10 talent or exection. So in the end it comes down to the fact that my head says Tucker has shown actual coaching competence in turning MSU around, while despite a lot of new staff, the guy in charge in A^2 is still Harbaugh and Harbaugh is still a coach whose teams find ways to lose games that matter. 

McCarthy makes too many mistakes in practice whereas McNamara does the opposite in practice and the games. McCarthy is gonna be good, really good, but still has a lot to learn. 

Getting him game experience in limited doses is smart and I'm thinking we see some read option and RPO with McCarthy this weekend.

Edited by SkyBlue

Michigan has talent. Both lines are legit with a few NFL players on them. Ross is an all conference level LB'er, and they have speed at WR'er in Johnson, Wilson and Baldwin. They just again have an average QB and potential exploitable weakness somewhere else. If the corners don't get burned and McNamara doesn't have a John O'Korn level game they will win.

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If Michigan loses on Saturday and then goes and gets trucked by Ohio State, does Harbaugh deserve to keep his job at 10-2?

"Deserve" has little to do with whether he keeps his job. The question is does Michigan fan buy out the stadium in '22 based on 10-2? I would guess...probably yes. That's all Harbaugh needs. (and it doesn't hurt UM football marketing that the Lions are terrible either!)

6 hours ago, Stanley70 said:

Michigan has talent. Both lines are legit with a few NFL players on them. Ross is an all conference level LB'er, and they have speed at WR'er in Johnson, Wilson and Baldwin. They just again have an average QB and potential exploitable weakness somewhere else. If the corners don't get burned and McNamara doesn't have a John O'Korn level game they will win.

michigan has good talent.  they have as much talent as any school not named alabama, georgia, lsu, ohio state, and clemson.

they're in the next tier and should be able to compete with any team this year other than ohio state, georgia, and probably bama.

anyone else they can beat.  that said, they can lose on the road to any decent team, which includes state or penn state.  its college football and winning road games is hard, ask bama who lost to a & m and ohio state who lost at home to oregon!  it happens.

52 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

No. If he fails tomorrow and then again against Ohio State he's gotta go. 0-2 against Mel Tucker is unacceptable and 0-40 against Ohio State or whatever it is at this point, is a downright disgrace,

that's an unrealistic standard for what michigan thinks of itself.

unless the university makes a decision to get in the gutter, they will not be ohio state.  until they agree to have zero academic standards for transfers, they will not be this year's michigan state.

that said, the best thing that could happen to michigan is that the playoff gets expanded.  more teams in means recruits will go to other schools outside the big 4 or 5.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, buddha said:

unless the university makes a decision to get in the gutter, they will not be ohio state. 

and I'll go back to the fact that I wouldn't count on them not going there if the money gets tight. We can probably keep betting on their virtue as long as Michigan fan stays happy enough to keep buying tickets. If that part goes away, I'm not sure I take the bet.

39 minutes ago, buddha said:

that's an unrealistic standard for what michigan thinks of itself.

unless the university makes a decision to get in the gutter, they will not be ohio state.  until they agree to have zero academic standards for transfers, they will not be this year's michigan state.

that said, the best thing that could happen to michigan is that the playoff gets expanded.  more teams in means recruits will go to other schools outside the big 4 or 5.

Maybe as a fan I'm just being too fickle then. What gutter tactics though do Ohio State or any of the SEC schools use that would be a line too far for Michigan? It's not like I'm sitting here asking them to go full on Ed Martin or Rick Pitino and start paying players or buying prostitutes for a good time. Over signing? Making commitments and then pulling the commitment later on? Holding unofficial visits? Offering financial incentives to local pastors and high school coaches to steer players in a given direction?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

11 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Maybe as a fan I'm just being too fickle then. What gutter tactics though do Ohio State or any of the SEC schools use that would be a line too far for Michigan? It's not like I'm sitting here asking them to go full on Ed Martin or Rick Pitino and start paying players or buying prostitutes for a good time. Over signing? Making commitments and then pulling the commitment later on? Holding unofficial visits? Offering financial incentives to local pastors and high school coaches to steer players in a given direction?

ummm...you just answered your own question with players and hookers.  

that's exactly what they do.

the nil stuff gave michigan a legit way to funnel money to these kids through "legit" means and use their money cannon but they got all high and mighty on that and fucked it up too.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

How does the University even control that? I would have thought the court decision should have given the players the right to make their own deals!

as i understand it, they set some rules on what they would and would not allow that were more restrictive.