Jump to content

08/17/2023 7:15pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Cleveland Guardians


casimir

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, oblong said:

The good news is the bandbox should help Tork get a few more dingers.

The bad news is the bandbox should help Cleveland get a few more dingers.

 

Every time Torkelson gets into a heater, I think, OK, here he goes.  And then the ensuing slump seemingly ends up not being a higher floor than before.  Hopefully this is where he becomes more consistent as a hitter.  Hopefully we're seeing another phase of the maturation process.

As for Cleveland's bandbox, this is kind of interesting:

image.png.cfa9353a64ceb0ebc6f61b1f9194ac41.png

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, casimir said:

Every time Torkelson gets into a heater, I think, OK, here he goes.  And then the ensuing slump seemingly ends up not being a higher floor than before.  Hopefully this is where he becomes more consistent as a hitter.  Hopefully we're seeing another phase of the maturation process.

As for Cleveland's bandbox, this is kind of interesting:

image.png.cfa9353a64ceb0ebc6f61b1f9194ac41.png

I do think Tork has to learn how to play every day in a long season. I think he is a guy that carries himself with so much confidence that his coaches don't realize he is probably still getting run down. And I hope he does not get too greedy. At some I think he can be a better OBP hitter if  he'd be more willing to take fastballs to right field. He has the talent, you see it on occasion but he doesn't commit to it with any regularity because he's having too much fun pulling the ball ---- for now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not crazy..my anecdotal observation on Tork's home/road slugging splits are accurate:

Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+
Home 58 58 245 212 26 45 12 1 6 24 1 0 28 62 .212 .310 .363 .673 77 4 3 0 2 0 2 .267 85 81
Away 60 60 260 236 35 58 13 0 15 42 1 0 20 61 .246 .308 .492 .799 116 7 2 0 2 1 0 .265 114 1

 

He hits more grounders on the road and more fly balls at home?

Season Home / Away GB/FB
 
 
LD%
 
 
GB%
 
 
FB%
 
 
IFFB%
 
 
HR/FB
 
 
IFH%
 
 
BUH%
 
 
Pull%
 
 
Cent%
 
 
Oppo%
 
 
Soft%
 
 
Med%
 
 
Hard%
 
 
Pitches
 
 
Balls
 
 
Strikes
 
 
2023 Home 0.55 22.4% 27.6% 50.0% 14.5% 7.9% 7.1% 0.0% 46.7% 30.3% 23.0% 18.4% 49.3% 32.2% 1029 385 644
2023 Away 0.86 20.3% 36.7% 42.9% 13.2% 19.7% 7.7% 0.0% 47.5% 28.2% 24.3% 13.6% 39.0% 47.5% 1047 377 670
Edited by kdog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, kdog said:

I'm not crazy..my anecdotal observation on Tork's home/road slugging splits are accurate:

Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+
Home 58 58 245 212 26 45 12 1 6 24 1 0 28 62 .212 .310 .363 .673 77 4 3 0 2 0 2 .267 85 81
Away 60 60 260 236 35 58 13 0 15 42 1 0 20 61 .246 .308 .492 .799 116 7 2 0 2 1 0 .265 114 1

Copa might have him over-swinging - it does that so some guys.

But other peripherals like K rate, walks and doubles argue the other way. So it could also just be half a dozen warning track shots that didn't clear the fence at COPA. It  has not been a hot Summer in Det. COPAs HR park factor this season is 91 so far. Carpenter has a big Home/Away HR split as well. Then again, and conversely, Jake has hit most of his at home. No-one else on the team with enough to mean much.

 

Edited by gehringer_2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

A DH on Friday, Saturday or Sunday? This game may not be played. I wouldn't start Skubal just to see heavy rain by the 3rd or 4th inning. Cleveland sucks...

Weather Underground future radar projection has the rain starting at 6:30 in Cleveland at moving out by 9:45.  Not too promising. On the other hand it looks like some of that could be light - almost drizzle.

I agree though - if they try to start it, maybe start Brieske or Holton and hold Skubal for the inevitable resumption.

Edited by gehringer_2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Weather Underground future radar projection has the rain starting at 6:30 in Cleveland at moving out by 9:45.  Not too promising. On the other hand it looks like some of that could be light - almost drizzle.

I agree though - if they try to start it, maybe start Brieske or Holton and hold Skubal for the inevitable resumption.

I bet it will end up being called. Nice Cleveland weather for the entire weekend. Considering it's.....Cleveland. Yuk...Cleveland.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

A DH on Friday, Saturday or Sunday? This game may not be played. I wouldn't start Skubal just to see heavy rain by the 3rd or 4th inning. Cleveland sucks...

 

57 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Weather Underground future radar projection has the rain starting at 6:30 in Cleveland at moving out by 9:45.  Not too promising. On the other hand it looks like some of that could be light - almost drizzle.

I agree though - if they try to start it, maybe start Brieske or Holton and hold Skubal for the inevitable resumption.

Start Shorty.  Why do I have to come up with all of the good ideas?

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, kdog said:

I'm not crazy..my anecdotal observation on Tork's home/road slugging splits are accurate:

Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+
Home 58 58 245 212 26 45 12 1 6 24 1 0 28 62 .212 .310 .363 .673 77 4 3 0 2 0 2 .267 85 81
Away 60 60 260 236 35 58 13 0 15 42 1 0 20 61 .246 .308 .492 .799 116 7 2 0 2 1 0 .265 114 1

 

He hits more grounders on the road and more fly balls at home?

Season Home / Away GB/FB
 
 
LD%
 
 
GB%
 
 
FB%
 
 
IFFB%
 
 
HR/FB
 
 
IFH%
 
 
BUH%
 
 
Pull%
 
 
Cent%
 
 
Oppo%
 
 
Soft%
 
 
Med%
 
 
Hard%
 
 
Pitches
 
 
Balls
 
 
Strikes
 
 
2023 Home 0.55 22.4% 27.6% 50.0% 14.5% 7.9% 7.1% 0.0% 46.7% 30.3% 23.0% 18.4% 49.3% 32.2% 1029 385 644
2023 Away 0.86 20.3% 36.7% 42.9% 13.2% 19.7% 7.7% 0.0% 47.5% 28.2% 24.3% 13.6% 39.0% 47.5% 1047 377 670

That’s interesting.  BABIP is virtually the same at home (.265) and on the road (.267).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, casimir said:

Officially PPD.  I guess Short wasn’t fully rested to take the bump tonight.

Traditional day/night doubleheader tomorrow starting at 4:10p according to the MLB schedule.

Isn’t that a traditional doubleheader?

With a day:night being something like 1pm and 7pm starts for the two games?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Isn’t that a traditional doubleheader?

With a day:night being something like 1pm and 7pm starts for the two games?

Yes.  I think I was thinking “twinight” doubleheader.  Or was it “twilight”?

Aw, screw it, win them both tomorrow.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dave Christian said:

I seem to remember twinight double header🤔

I grew up about 60-75 minutes from Tiger Stadium depending on bridge and rush hour traffic, so a perfect summer night when 17 would be to listen to the first two innings of game 1 at home while eating a pre-game meal, have Ernie & Paul's broadcast of innings 3-7 accompany me on my drive, get into my seats for the 8th and 9th innings of Game 1, head to the concessions between games, then relax and enjoy game 2 in full. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      251
    • Most Online
      186

    Newest Member
    Terrible1345
    Joined
  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...