08/21/2023 6:40 pm EDT Chicago Cubs vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

48 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - I have to agree with LLM that you're a tough audience for Skubal - his stuff is pretty good, but one can't argue (as per Edman) that the health risk will be high for him - esp in the the next year or two.

But as a general proposition, the pitching is a really big question Mark. The high optimism of 2-4 yrs ago has largely evaporated. Mize had not been dominant before the surgery, Skubal is a health risk, Manning is plateauing at a level still too inconsistent, Turnbull is....who knows? Faedo may stick but he's going to be a middling kind of guy. Wentz similar but even less. Olsen might turn into something. And the guy I'd try as a starter next Spring is Tyler Holton.  

In any case - too many question marks.

Yes I do tend to be a tough evaluater but doesn’t a pitcher have to have more than one year with 30 starts to be counted on as a top of the rotation starter ?

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

We've all seen Tork make great scoops here and there, although I wonder how he rates versus other first basemen? Is that even out there? If it is I haven't seen it.

On the broadcast they said Tork is second in "scoops" at first base but I don't know where they get that information from.

20 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

On the broadcast they said Tork is second in "scoops" at first base but I don't know where they get that information from.

I think it comes from the Fielding Bible although it isn't listed online.  I believe it is incorporated into the FanGraphs defensive numbers which would explain why he looks better on FanGraphs than statcast or b-ref.