08/21/2023 6:40 pm EDT Chicago Cubs vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Sucks to lose but it's amazing how much for fun the team is to watch when they have a couple guys in the middle of the order that are mashing. 

To be honest, they could use some help. the rest of the team isn't doing much. those 2 are carrying this team.

20 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Sucks to lose but it's amazing how much for fun the team is to watch when they have a couple guys in the middle of the order that are mashing. 

really nice to see tork coming along now.  this season is turning out to pretty well, especially if meadows can stick in the bigs.

3 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Baez obviously is not opting out; he has the lowest K rate of his career; I really think they are trying to turn him into a player he is not

this is an interesting question. On one side is the argument that you just tell him to go back to doing what he knows how to do and stop worrying about K's. Javy would certainly not be the 1st hitter who put up a better OPS with he stopped worrying about trying to be a 'good' hitter.

OTOH, the story from the Tigers is that Javy has to change anyway because the way he hit when he was 22 doesn't work even from a physical standpoint for a 30 old so they are trying coach toward a different approach. You can either believe they are right or believe 30 yr ball players seldom have success trying to go away from what got them to the majors in the 1st place.

Javy will eventually be adding some evidence to that argument on one side or the other, the question is which?

12 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

This is the lineup I was expecting to accommodate seeing Meadows in center and building Badoo's trade value who hopefully we can turn into a third baseman so we can move Verling back to RF and Riley to left IF Meadows works out. The current lineup is arm deficient and still only so so in left but Meadows can shade that way to compensate for Badoo's weakness tracking balls in the gap and facilitate his strength going to the line.

Well, this wasn't at all a jinx now, was it?

12 hours ago, kdog said:

Tigers needed some bad defense and sloppy play to normalize things. Good stuff.

Kind of crushing to a spot starter who was giving a pretty damn good effort.

Folks will look at the box score and not get the full picture of how they gave up the 7 runs.  I think that 9th inning had some fluke to it (the Madrigal double) and/or Brieske might be made a scapegoat.  But Torkelson gave away outs which lead to runs.  Really disappointing.

10 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

This team has 5 very solid starting position players with Greene, Torkelson, Carpenter, Vierling and Rogers.      They need a big upgrade at SS and Colt Keith to either stick at third or second.     A bench with Parker, Baddoo, McKinstry and Backup Catcher Guy ain't too shabby.   

I really hope Baez opts out.   

10 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

I count six including Baez. 

10 hours ago, SeattleMike said:

If Baez could just get back to being a 95-100 OPS+ hitter he would be a 2-3 WAR player, assuming his defense stays strong. Maybe they can figure something out with him during the off-season. 

I don't know that Vierling should be counted just yet.  And I would count on Baez because of his glove.  His throwing seems to have gotten under control lately (save for one that Torkelson should have still had last night).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

That’s a great observation. Just let him rake and live with the low on base. Bat him seventh. If we can get his slugging up we’re in good shape. 

Yes.  I think a bottom third of Baez, Meadows, and catcher would be fine.

They've got Greene, Torkelson, and Carpenter dialed in pretty well for next season.  If they find a couple of everyday players in the top half of the lineup, I think the offense can take a good step forward.

10 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

That place is electric

ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION CHRIS ILLITCH..........LOOK AT YOUR BALLPARK TONIGHT.............SPEND A LITTLE MONEY AND YOU CAN HAVE THAT ATMOSPHERE 30 TIMES A YEAR.  

Hey Donald, get that caps button checked.