08/23/2023 1:10 pm EDT Chicago Cubs vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

7 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

Honestly, Candelario was awful his last year in Detroit.  How can you really pin your hopes on a below average power hitter at a power hitting position with a .633 OPS.  It isn't like the Tigers cut loose Nolan Arenado or Manny Machado.  

Nobody could have expected he would hit like has this year.  He was the Tigers best player hitter in 2020-2021 though, so a bounceback seemed like a probable outcome.  

5 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Avila's players are starting to develop. Having Candy on the team prolly wins us this weak division. Where's the calls for Harris' head?

I like Candelario, but he is not worth 7 more wins!

Edit: Based on WAR the Tigers are -1.3 at third base.  Candelario is +3.6.  So, 5 wins.  You are not that far off!

Edited by Tiger337

27 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Edit: Based on WAR the Tigers are -1.3 at third base.  Candelario is +3.6.  So, 5 wins.  You are not that far off!

Yeah, I didn't look anything up. And there's still 30+ games left. It really was Harris' worst move.

Without going back and looking at my own posts, I don't think I was too bothered one way or the other.  Keep him, sure, let him go, fine.  Harris didn't think he was worth $7 million though, and obviously Hinch didn't either (notice how nobody ever calls out Hinch on this one?).  For those who wanted to keep him, part of the rationale was that he was an asset that we could "flip at the deadline" and strengthen the organization, which proved to be 100% false - flip him, sure, but only for the pathetic garbage that the Nationals got. 

I think we might have finally learned that nobody wants a rental hitter at the deadline, unless you will accept Dawel Lugo in return.  So retaining Schoop for example, hoping to rehab him enough to "flip him at the deadline", was a hopelessly flawed tactic and they should have just cut him loose during the winter.  From now on if we are deciding to keep a hitter I don't think that "flip him at the deadline" should be part of the rationale.

• Like 2

There's a possibility Jeimer might not have been shopped if the Tigers were close enough to contending to let it roll, and that would have also meant hanging onto Lorenzen, too. But I would bet Harris would have flipped them both to keep the process of cleaning up Avila's mess in motion, especially since neither had any future with the team.

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I wanted him back because I expected him to bounce back and be able to help the team at a position of need  The possibility of flipping him at the deadline was secondary.   

I was more skeptical of his comeback potential, but I also figured the new Wunderkind had some higher level of player acquisition mojo we would be seeing.

15 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

In hindsight what an incredibly ill-fated move. I was agnostic about dumping Candelario and you probably can't assume it would have played out exactly this way, but 5 more wins puts the Tigers just a game or two out of first place.