Evaluate Scott Harris' first year

Tigermojo

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Did you go to any of the World Series games in 2012 and 2006? If you went both years, did the 2012 games feel as big as 2006? I decided to not go in 2012 because i didn’t feel it as much that year and I did six years before—although during the playoffs the following year, I was definitely planning on making my way to a World Series game if we’d’ve beaten Boston.

I went to both, but don’t remember many differences.  2006 was so unexpected, that it seemed to be more exciting.  By 2012, Tiger fans had come to expect the success.

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

Did you go to any of the World Series games in 2012 and 2006? If you went both years, did the 2012 games feel as big as 2006? I decided to not go in 2012 because i didn’t feel it as much that year and I did six years before—although during the playoffs the following year, I was definitely planning on making my way to a World Series game if we’d’ve beaten Boston.

In 2006 I sold my game 2 tickets to help defray the cost. In 2012 I sold game 3 for the same reason. So obviously hard to compare because in 2006 nothing bad had happened yet so we were all jacked up.  When I went in ‘12 they were down 0-3. 

before the game we stopped at a local bar. Had drinks with Giants fans who as soon as their team won game 3 they saw the ticket prices plummet so they bought them and were able to get cheap flights.  Nice people. Sitting next to us at the game was an older lady by herself, a Giants fan, who had a well worn book she used to keep score.  I think she was afraid to cheer but when it got to two outs in the 9th I encouraged her to cheer. It was ok.  We won’t bite. Definitely a different vibe in that game. The odds of coming back are not zero but close. If they won it would cost me $190 more plus parking and all that. Root for them or just get it over with 

another reason I hate digital only tickets.  I have mementos from 2006, 2009, 2011-14.  It became a yearly ritual to go to FedEx to pick up our playoff tickets.  There were actually lines to do it. 

• Thanks 2

Regarding the 2011 postseason.... that was the year we lost to the Rangers in the ALCS. They went on to lose to the Cards where they were one strike away from winning the WS.

Question for the group. Would you rather the tigers win the ALCS that year but the price is to have the same thing happen to you?  One strike away from winning the WS to then lose that game and game 7?  I'm not sure I'd make that trade.  I couldn't handle the heartbreak.

9 minutes ago, oblong said:

Regarding the 2011 postseason.... that was the year we lost to the Rangers in the ALCS. They went on to lose to the Cards where they were one strike away from winning the WS.

Question for the group. Would you rather the tigers win the ALCS that year but the price is to have the same thing happen to you?  One strike away from winning the WS to then lose that game and game 7?  I'm not sure I'd make that trade.  I couldn't handle the heartbreak.

I think I'd take it.

I'm a much bigger fan of the Tigers than the Pistons.  But I look back at when the Pistons lost to the Spurs in the NBA Finals.  They had a lead going late into the 3rd or early in the 4th of game 7, I cannot recall when the Spurs pulled ahead.  I didn't sleep much that night, adrenaline and disappointment and all of that.  But I got over it eventually.  And, really, they won more games that playoffs than they would have had they not gotten to the Finals, so I was able to enjoy those games.  I think the same would happen with the Tigers.

26 minutes ago, casimir said:

I think I'd take it.

I'm a much bigger fan of the Tigers than the Pistons.  But I look back at when the Pistons lost to the Spurs in the NBA Finals.  They had a lead going late into the 3rd or early in the 4th of game 7, I cannot recall when the Spurs pulled ahead.  I didn't sleep much that night, adrenaline and disappointment and all of that.  But I got over it eventually.  And, really, they won more games that playoffs than they would have had they not gotten to the Finals, so I was able to enjoy those games.  I think the same would happen with the Tigers.

That's a good comp.  And the Wings in 2009.  But at the same time those teams won the title the previous year.

Another comp is the Pistons in 88/89.... if I knew the Tigers would win the WS in 2012 or 2013 then sure I'd take it.  But if we're still stuck with only '84 in my lifetime I don't know....

That HR by Freese is one of my favorite non Tiger baseball moments of the last 20 years to be honest.

24 minutes ago, oblong said:

That's a good comp.  And the Wings in 2009.  But at the same time those teams won the title the previous year.

Another comp is the Pistons in 88/89.... if I knew the Tigers would win the WS in 2012 or 2013 then sure I'd take it.  But if we're still stuck with only '84 in my lifetime I don't know....

That HR by Freese is one of my favorite non Tiger baseball moments of the last 20 years to be honest.

Yes, context and surrounding seasons factor in.  Plus, we're considering rewriting history for a franchise that would currently hit a high water mark with a break even record.  I think that's why I don't consider 2006 a failure.  It was so out of the blue and expected.  The World Series stunk, sure.  But I prefer it over losing to the Yankees or Athletics in the playoffs. 

If you were to say, "hey, we have a flux capacitor and a Delorean, let's go back to the beginning of the 2006 playoffs and see what happens", I think I'm cool with just staying here and accepting what happened.  I wouldn't chance losing before the World Series.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

If you were to say, "hey, we have a flux capacitor and a Delorean, let's go back to the beginning of the 2006 playoffs and see what happens", I think I'm cool with just staying here and accepting what happened.  I wouldn't chance losing before the World Series.

I’d ask Doc Brown to have Leyland and his coaches implement some additional fielding drills for our pitchers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oblong said:

I would take it.  The longer they keep playing the better.  It's better to have loved and lost than...

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Yes, context and surrounding seasons factor in.  Plus, we're considering rewriting history for a franchise that would currently hit a high water mark with a break even record.  I think that's why I don't consider 2006 a failure.  It was so out of the blue and expected.  The World Series stunk, sure.  But I prefer it over losing to the Yankees or Athletics in the playoffs. 

Losing in 1984 would have been a disappointment because they were so much better than every other team and it would have tainted an amazing season.  There wasn't one Dombrowski era team that was so dominant that I thought they had to win the whole thing or the season would be tainted.  Plus, I am now used to the idea that the post-season is a crap shoot.    

56 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Bump

Is signing Holton the best move Harris made? The kid has some of the best RP stats in MLB.

Holton’s Statcast card is a sea of red, not unlike Skubal’s. Holton may not be as untouchable this winter as Skubal is, but I gotta believe it’s gonna take a lot to pry him from our warm, awakening hands.

Is there any chance Holton is converted to a starter?  If he is a career reliever, he may have just had his best season.  They don't have to deal him, but they should shop him and she what offers they get.  

Statcast numbers are much less predictive for pitchers than hitters.  

His stuff metrics (a little more predictive than statcast metrics) are less impressive.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Early indications are that Greenberg is a better communicator than Harris.  That's probably not important as far as management competence, but maybe they should let him do most of the talking.  

I hope he tells the Tigers hitters to only swing at strikes and for the pitchers to get ahead in the count. Real cutting edge stuff....🤔

12 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Always trade on the high note with relievers I think.

Right, and I doubt Holton will get any higher than this.  Of course, if he did he did stay at this level he'd be really valuable especially if he was used in more high leverage situations, but chances are he won't be this good on a regular basis.