Random NHL comments/thoughts

lordstanley

3 hours ago, ewsieg said:

I definitely think some Canadians care, just not with the passion with their own team.  Probably similar to what I see with myself and a lot of folks I know with the Big Ten.  I actively root against OSU (Maple Leafs) and if MSU or UofM aren't involved, I hope to see the Big Ten team (every other Canadian team) win, but I'm not losing any sleep if it doesn't happen.  

Yeah I can see that. I do like having a Canadian team involved into the latter stages to keep national interest up, even if it’s to root against. And it means so much to the locals so that adds something that Florida doesn’t. 

30 minutes in and this is one of the more embarrassing offensive performances by a home team in a Game 7.    

I can’t imagine how nuclear Tocchet is going to go on them during the intermission.  

Posted (edited)

Total domination for first 52 minutes. Canucks didn’t even desperately storm out of gates to start 3rd. But a bad defenseman whiff enables Vancouver to close to 3-1 with 8 minutes left and they’ve had chances since. 5 minutes to go. One more goal and the ending would be chaotic. 

Edited by lordstanley

17 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Meh - the thing that's great about playoff hockey is that there is no accounting for how much a team does or doesn't raise their energy level against a certain other team. The "worse" team can beat the better in the SCP.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Meh - the thing that's great about playoff hockey is that there is no accounting for how much a team does or doesn't raise their energy level against a certain other team. The "worse" team can beat the better in the SCP.

The Oilers have been playing surprisingly good defense. If they had a good goalie their roster would be as good as any in the league, IMO.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Geesh. It’s 2024. Didn’t guys like Konstantinov, Holmstrom, Peter Forsberg, Kronwall, Tikkanen, Ulf Samuelson etc smash that Euro stereotype decades ago?

I was amazed to hear the Canucks only have 2 Canadians on the roster.  8 Americans and a bunch of Euros.  

Side note:  how impressive has late career move to Dallas been for 39 year old Joe Pavelski?   He’s played in every game for 3 seasons in a row with 81, 77, and 67 points and an amazing +65.   The guy is less than 2 months from his 40th birthday.    He just gets better with age. 

Edited by Hongbit

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Geesh. It’s 2024. Didn’t guys like Konstantinov, Holmstrom, Peter Forsberg, Kronwall, Tikkanen, Ulf Samuelson etc smash that Euro stereotype decades ago?

LOL - and Ovechkin - your active scoring leader is a "Euro" who is hardly some kind of dainty player.

10 hours ago, lordstanley said:

don cherry, is that you?

13 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I was amazed to hear the Canucks only have 2 Canadians on the roster.  8 Americans and a bunch of Euros.  

Side note:  how impressive has late career move to Dallas been for 39 year old Joe Pavelski?   He’s played in every game for 3 seasons in a row with 81, 77, and 67 points and an amazing +65.   The guy is less than 2 months from his 40th birthday.    He just gets better with age. 

I can't believe Seguin is only 32. And even Jamie Benn is only 34 -he is a guy from a different era, when you could win a points title with just 87 points.

• Thanks 1

Rangers/Panthers Game 1 coming on soon.  This series is going to a be a war.

I’ve got Panthers coming back from 3-1 to take it in 7.   I’m almost as excited for the Paul Maurice post game pressers than I am for what happens on the ice.