Random NHL comments/thoughts

lordstanley

48 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Tampa eliminated. I think their run of excellence is over. Two straight 1st round exits. I can definitely see them missing the playoffs next season. Stamkos gone?

Had quite a run. In past 10 years, 6 conference finals including 4 SCF and 2 Stanley Cups? 

Tampa needs to do what Kenny should have done around 2014ish. They need to tear down their roster and rebuild it. They should have a Wayne Huizenga, Florida Marlins 1997 style fire sale. They likely won't though and will try like many for championship teams past their prime to limp along with the false hope of somehow, someway, winning another one. 

Bruins were one shot away from advancing but Woll made a big stop early in OT and, lo and behold, John Tavares went hard to the net at the other end and that resulted in a goal. Will need to put my celebration on hold.

On 4/30/2024 at 3:46 PM, Hongbit said:

Not sure you can sit out an elimination game because you are sick and still be considered a generational player.    

My guess is he has a concussion or whiplash from a play in game 3 honestly, at this point I doubt it is just a sickness.

15 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

Actually it looks like his ankle/knee gets realllllllly torqued here

I even saw someone on Twitter pointing to an awkward play involving Matthews in that final Saturday night game vs the Wings.

14 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I even saw someone on Twitter pointing to an awkward play involving Matthews in that final Saturday night game vs the Wings.

Ya I've seen speculation that he got a minor concussion from one of their last games but haven't seen any plays at all.  It seems like there is something going on outside the sickness

4 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Sure feels like whoever scores first will win. Heading scoreless to the 3rd.

Yeah, tight defense tonight and solid goaltending. Neither team making a lot of mistakes or turnovers either. One goal seems like all that is needed.

This feels like Wings-Blues 1996 game 7, doesn't it?

I was working in Albuquerque.  I was on the air at night at KTEG, The Edge.     We had no TV at the station.  We had no internet at the station (not in the studio anyway) and I told my friend's sister (family owns Kenilworth Pub in Dearborn) to call me every time there was a goal. 

No call. 

I called  she says YES, WE'LL CALL YOU

I called again and she said to stop worrying. 

Finally after that long night of not knowing the hotline flashes and I picked up the phone and I could not hear what she said, I just heard cheering and screaming and I knew they'd won.   I saw the goal on ESPN when I got home.   That was before Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith ruined it.  

I know you all hate the Leafs, but when I was a kid and the Red Wings were more concerned with players haircuts than they were with winning (traded guys who refused to get military-style haircuts, and I am not joking),  I turned to the Leafs for exciting hockey.  One of the first games I remember is Darryl Sittler scoring 10 points.   So I became a bit of a Leafs fan.  Borje Salming, Lanny McDonald, Mike Palmateer, Tiger Williams.,............Then they traded Lanny McDonald......just to piss off Sittler (not kidding, that was the reason) and Sittler went into the owners office and cut the C off of his jersey.  There were mass protests in Toronto -  people swarmed Maple Leaf Garden in anger and I realized that the Leafs were even more ****ed up than the Wings.      I would love to see the Leafs win tonight.    I'll  admit it.  I'm not afraid to and honestly, if they finish this comeback, they might actually go all the way, because a giant weight would be off of their shoulders. 

• Like 1