Random NHL comments/thoughts

lordstanley

33 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

What’s wrong with Tarasenko’s 41 points (17 goals) in 57 games. 

Nothing, I think it is a risk-free move for Florida with Ottawa picking up 50% of the salary. And them really only giving up 4th, or 3rd round picks at worst if they make a Cup, is nothing to them. I think this is a low-risk, high reward move for Florida.

hanifin rumored to go to tampa bay but detroit sniffing around.  reports that they would be open to an extension too...

rumor that berggren would part of the deal but that it would require "a lot more than that."

take those with a grain of salt considering no rumors ever come out of detroit.  either agent driven or made up.

1 hour ago, slothfacekilla said:

If Byram can stay healthy (seems to be a big question mark) the Sabres have quite the young D core with him, Dahlin and Power

I was very high on Byram coming out of junior, maybe I bought into the hype coming from him being a Vancouver Giant. If he can avoid concussions and injuries - like you said a big if - I think there is still quite a bit of upside potential. Good move by the Avs, but to me doesn’t necessarily mean the Sabres got fleeced like some are saying. 

hanifin to vegas.

what a bunch of cheaters.  the annual "mark stone trade deadline injury to free up cap space whoops he's healthy again for the playoffs" meanuever really needs to be stopped.

33 minutes ago, buddha said:

kuznetsov off to carolina.  washington and pittsburgh throwing in the towel.

elias lindholm allegedly back on the market as things arent working out so well in vancouver.

Is Lindholm back on the market or was that only in an attempt to swing a 3-way for Guentzel?

25 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'm still interested.

And Broberg if we could somehow grab him...

his production on the 3rd line in vancouver is way down because his linemates arent the same quality as first line flames players.  why would it be any better on detroit's second or third line?  lindholm's numbers also dropped considerably last year.

that's yzerman's calculus.  and then do you extend him?

1 minute ago, lordstanley said:

Is Lindholm back on the market or was that only in an attempt to swing a 3-way for Guentzel?

dunno.

in reality, i doubt he's actually back on the market to be dealt straight up unless, as you say, it was part of a deal to get a real frontline upgrade.

but even then, it is curious to see those rumors.

would you have dealt edvinsson or edvinsson plus a mid round pick for mittlestadt?

what about the guentzel deal?  it took a conditional first that is likely to be a second, a fourth, and carolina's 6, 7, and 9th ranked (by athletic) prospects.  for the sake of argument, that's augustine, mazur, and buchelnikov.  otoh, the wings prospects are more highly rated than carolina's so maybe it would be buchelnikov, soderblom, and red savage?

18 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Has played all year in AHL..Edvinsson's replacement?

Just clearing out Kostin's $2 million due next season (he has been a big disappointment in my eyes so it is fine with me, he seems like he thinks he's better than he is when he has the puck).  Whether it is clearing space for now or the offseason who knows.

12 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Just clearing out Kostin's $2 million due next season (he has been a big disappointment in my eyes so it is fine with me, he seems like he thinks he's better than he is when he has the puck).  Whether it is clearing space for now or the offseason who knows.

Yeah not sure he is any better than Yamamoto who the Wings waived in the same deal. 

IMG_3332.jpeg

6 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Yeah not sure he is any better than Yamamoto who the Wings waived in the same deal. 

IMG_3332.jpeg

Ya this ended up being a complete nothing of a transaction.  They got both for absolutely nothing, so the price of trying out Kostin with the lineup was Yamamoto's buyout for $433k this season and $533k next season.  Not a bad gamble but a shame Kostin didn't look good in Detroit.

22 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

this.  just clearing space.