Random NHL comments/thoughts

lordstanley

9 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

It can’t be Dube because the team said he was leaving for mental health issues.  It has to be a coincidence because nobody at the Flames would be so ****ing stupid to try to use the league’s mental health program as a shield from these criminal accusations, right?  

Total morons.  Heads gonna roll in Alberta over that.  They should fire the whole front office.  

Whoa I didn't see their press release I had no idea.  That's grimy if he is involved...

54 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

And this may just as grimy, if true. 

I definitely thought those trade rumors came out of nowhere over the offseason, felt weird.  Another strike against the Flyers' brass in my eyes... the way they went on the offensive trashing Gauthier after the trade was truly something.  "He just doesn't want to be a Flyer and won't talk to us!"  How about you delaying his signing/going pro, sending him back to college after he clearly wanted to sign, over a measly overage bonus going into this season?!  And it also comes out that Gauthier told them privately after that he didn't want to play in Philly.  What else does the kid owe you??  It was so weird all the interviews they did right after, I don't blame Gauthier for wanting to get out of there.

Philly lost their 5th straight, getting thumped by Boston 6-2 today. Too early to scoreboard watch. But if they drop out not only the Metro top 3 but also the wildcard spot, a team like NYI or NJD or Washington could take their place without knocking out the Wings.  They're now 1 pt ahead of the Wings, with the Wings having 2 games in hand.

You can't watch the games and not see that Seider is probably the most important player on the team. When the Wings get caught against a top line with Seider off the ice disaster usually follows in short order. I also think it's interesting the respect his has built up among the officials corp. He's achieved the status were he can (and will) unceremoniously dump a Conner McDavid and if it was clean he doesn't have to worry about a questionable call.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

That's a lot to give up for Monahan, good for the Canadiens with how they were able to use Monahan to acquire a bunch of assets

again, all this talk about how a player isnt worth x, y, z forgets that this is the trade deadline and all the contenders will overpay for spare parts.  the idea that youre going to get a good player for cheap or for marginal prospects is fools gold.

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

again, all this talk about how a player isnt worth x, y, z forgets that this is the trade deadline and all the contenders will overpay for spare parts.  the idea that youre going to get a good player for cheap or for marginal prospects is fools gold.

which is why it's better to be on the selling side than the buying side.

So will Yzerman will driven more by the shot at this years playoffs or to sell something to buy more future? Best case: move Gostisbehere for a pick, bring up Edvinsson and still be better and make the playoff. Well, make that 'dream' case.

Edited by gehringer_2

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

which is why it's better to be on the selling side than the buying side.

So will Yzerman will driven more by the shot at this years playoffs or to sell something to buy more future? Best case: move Gostisbehere for a pick, bring up Edvinsson and still be better and make the playoff. Well, make that 'dream' case.

i dont know if edvinsson will be better than gotisbehere, but you definitely present the dream case.

Which still does NOT make my calculation incorrect.

If teams are going to OVERPAY... are they not going to OVERPAY for Kane? Or Ghost?

Or only non-Red Wings are eligible to be overpaid for? Just asking.

If a team OVERPAYS for those two... can we not turn around and take those assets that we've been overpaid with and overpay WITH those same assets for someone we want?

Besides: Both of those guys are pending unrestricted. We either: hold onto them as the playoffs overrides anything else. And let them go at the end of the year for nothing. Or re-sign them to another contract. OR... trade them for an "overpay" before the deadline.

There ARE choices there.

On Kane: Hard to consider letting him go as he controls the puck like no other on the team, but if a team offers an OVERPAY?

On Ghost: He runs the PP1 so that's hard to lose. But he's also -20 and he's always a negative on D. I say trade him if we can get an overpay. Seider will take over on the PP1... we bring up Edvinsson... I think our overall "game" (both O and D) gains "net" improvement, even with some loss on the PP without Ghost. There are others on the team with PP skills that can make up for that... IMO.

13 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

On Kane: Hard to consider letting him go as he controls the puck like no other on the team, but if a team offers an OVERPAY?

Of course they've denied that Kane's injury had anything to do with the hip, but any injury coming only 19 games after his return might have left GMs skeptical about his availability, and If there is anything you need in a deadline deal player it's availability. Buddha almost talked me into them being able to keep him, but that's down the road.

47 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Of course they've denied that Kane's injury had anything to do with the hip, but any injury coming only 19 games after his return might have left GMs skeptical about his availability, and If there is anything you need in a deadline deal player it's availability. Buddha almost talked me into them being able to keep him, but that's down the road.

theyre not trading kane.

Which would prevent any overpay...

Good point and I understand Kane's attractiveness to the team.

If we can't get an overpay... the easy decision is to keep him and take our chances with offering him another 2-ish years (he's 36 next year, coming off that hip surgery, I wouldn't be interested in a big commitment to him, either in money or years...); and hoping he can maintain health. If he teaches the other skilled players tricks for maintaining control of the puck against bigger guys... And elevates our overall play... he's worth it. 

So, therefore, I don't let him go unless it's an overpay...

10 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Which would prevent any overpay...

Good point and I understand Kane's attractiveness to the team.

If we can't get an overpay... the easy decision is to keep him and take our chances with offering him another 2-ish years (he's 36 next year, coming off that hip surgery, I wouldn't be interested in a big commitment to him, either in money or years...); and hoping he can maintain health. If he teaches the other skilled players tricks for maintaining control of the puck against bigger guys... And elevates our overall play... he's worth it. 

So, therefore, I don't let him go unless it's an overpay...

why do you want to trade kane?  he's one of our best players.  thryre trying to make the playoffs this year.  unless they have a disastrous february like they had a disastrous december, i dont see them dealing kane or ghost.

but im still holding out for our unicorn scenario where we trade them and then deal assets for stars!  dare to dream!  84lives for GM!  🙂